Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #91
popgun pete

Re: SEA HORNET Clone from CHINA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
I am not an engineer but IMO the spring is too long and not made from the proper type of stainless steel, it should be “spring stainless”. Also the thickness or gauge of the steel seems a little thin.
I would imagine that somewhere they still have the version 1 Sea Hornet that they so "diligently" copied and someone will soon be measuring that part up again and taking a closer look at it now that they have been warned that some "waste substance" may hit the fan if they don't act pronto.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #92
popgun pete

Just received this response from the eBay seller via eBay messages.

Dear customer

Thanks very much for your reminding and help us to avoid more claim and risk.
I have to end the listing and discuss this serious issue with the factory.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #93
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Just received this response from the eBay seller via eBay messages.

Dear customer

Thanks very much for your reminding and help us to avoid more claim and risk.
I have to end the listing and discuss this serious issue with the factory.
Hope they have better success than I had at addressing the trigger issues.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #94
popgun pete

Well they better sort it out as not only do they put at hazard the industry (there are plenty who hate spearfishing and would welcome aspersions being cast on the safety of equipment with the view to closing all of us down), such problems have blown the bottom out of a company such as Pelaj whose gun sales never recovered from the trigger problems and the blowback it received which crushed the company.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:17 PM   #95
popgun pete

Postscript: These Chinese "Sea Hornet" clones seem to have totally disappeared, in fact they wound down pretty quickly after I communicated with the eBay seller and I have not seen them since.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:33 AM   #96
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Postscript: These Chinese "Sea Hornet" clones seem to have totally disappeared, in fact they wound down pretty quickly after I communicated with the eBay seller and I have not seen them since.
That’s too bad because other than the trigger spring issue the rest of the speargun components were pretty good.

Old 06-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #97
popgun pete

Well I was surprised that they never addressed the issues and then had another go at selling them, but as Kevin had already told them exactly what to do years before and they never acted on it back then that in turn must say something. Of course they may have unloaded them elsewhere, but even so after all this time I would have expected one to surface on the used market. The cost of the injection molds alone would represent a significant cost, even though they were dead copies.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:01 AM   #98
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Well I was surprised that they never addressed the issues and then had another go at selling them, but as Kevin had already told them exactly what to do years before and they never acted on it back then that in turn must say something. Of course they may have unloaded them elsewhere, but even so after all this time I would have expected one to surface on the used market. The cost of the injection molds alone would represent a significant cost, even though they were dead copies.
Yes, it does seem a bit strange that a company would put all that money into the tooling and molds to make the speargun components and then just abandon the production. The trigger spring is a critical component but the issue was easily solved by simply using the proper type of stainless steel and making sure it was the proper length. However, it won’t surprise me if these guns resurface in the sometime in the future…….hopefully with the trigger issue resolved.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:24 PM   #99
popgun pete

Well here is the answer and looks like they have now decided to do the gun with a “camo” barrel!

https://www.made-in-china.com/showro...Spear-Gun.html

Manufacturer: Sino United Industries (Luoyang) Ltd. Henan, China.
Contact Mr. Sheng Junzhou,
Suite 417, Bldg. #33, Shanshuifudi, Gaoxinqu, Luoyang, Henan, China

https://www.made-in-china.com/showro...Spear-Gun.html

Last edited by popgun pete; 08-22-2022 at 08:33 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-22-2022, 10:36 PM   #100
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Well hopefully they fixed the trigger this time.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:57 PM   #101
popgun pete

I only found this today when I was looking for something else. I don’t see anyone selling them yet and I think they are looking for orders as you can get a minimum order of 10. Might be worth dropping them a line Kevin as this time you will be talking with the organ grinder and not the monkey. The triggers are easy to fix if they do it themselves by using the right stuff. They may be unaware of any of this dialogue as the previous eBay sellers were individuals flogging a few guns along with the many other fishing products they had to sell and they may have done nothing more about it.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:21 AM   #102
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

I sent them an inquiry.

Old 12-28-2023, 06:55 PM   #103
popgun pete

I swapped the safety wheel knob to the right hand side where it should be and changed it on the longer gun with a genuine red Sea Hornet knob rather than the weak brick red color used on the Chinese copy. I pulled the gun apart and after a long time in situ the plastic end sockets were not as tight as they were originally because the gun had cooked in the sun on occasion. Here are some photos of the barrel sealing plugs, note how far they are set back from the barrel ends.

I have now worked out how to modify the gun to exchange water and flush it out in what are now water traps. For the rear butt pad drill a hole in the center of the pad. For the front socket on the grip drill a hole on the centerline at the base of the socket, if you are careful you can do this with the trigger mechanism in the gun, but if you want to play safe take the mechanism out. Make sure you don't lose the trigger safety knob retaining circlip when you do, outdoors it is bound to get lost. Not only can the circlip bounce, it can roll on its rim to depart the immediate work area making for a WTF moment when searching for it.

The muzzle can be drilled on the centreline where the band wraps. To let water out you often need to let air in, so another tiny hole may need to be added. Right now the guns when these sections are flooded can easily put a cup of saltwater into your car's trunk and over time rust it out as the water finds its way below the rubber or plastic mats. Ditto for the cargo area in your SUV. As is the guns don't let water out easily and they flood about ten minutes into a dive without even going down. In the timber version of the Sea Hornet these spaces are full of wood, they are not voids.

You stand the gun on its butt to let any trapped water drain out of the internal cavities. The guns need dunking in a freshwater tub, end for end if the gun will not fit the tub, which is usually the case. Less salt crystals left in the gun the better as salt never fully dries out and being hygroscopic will corrode metal, even stainless steel under certain circumstances.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handgrips R.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	249813   Click image for larger version

Name:	grips reverse side R.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	249814   Click image for larger version

Name:	butt interior.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	249815   Click image for larger version

Name:	barrel muzzle end interior.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	249816   Click image for larger version

Name:	barrel interior handle end view.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	249817  

Name:	speartip R.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	249818   Click image for larger version

Name:	clone foreground, sea hornet distance.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	249822  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-29-2023 at 07:21 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-28-2023, 07:11 PM   #104
popgun pete

Here is the Chinese clone with the blue "Shooter" sticker pulled off, it was already curling away on its periphery as water gradually got to the sticker adhesive, and the Gunslinger telescopic barrel conversion behind it from many years back that fired a 3/8 inch diameter shaft! Sea Hornet guns use 5/16 inch diameter shafts and either a 3/4 inch single band or two 5/8 inch bands, however the gun can use just one 5/8 inch band for most jobs and that is how the majority of guns were sold.

Many fish have died in front of my Sea Hornet weapons as they swam into a firing solution.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GUNSLINGER AND CLONE R 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	249819   Click image for larger version

Name:	gunslinger and clone R.jpg
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	249820   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear ends R.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	249823  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-29-2023 at 07:22 AM. Reason: added a photo
Old 12-28-2023, 09:39 PM   #105
popgun pete

Note that the vertical slotted shaft tail and the flopper retention cup restrained from sliding backwards by the cross pin behind it (Kevin's idea, supplied to the Chinese) allows the shooting line to be wrapped on the shaft for storage. This is a variation on the line storage method used for Taimen shafts which was revealed to me by my friend Vitaly Semakov who manages the Taimen production and design changes in Chelyabinsk. The other side of the Urals and well away from Moscow, during WWII Chelyabinsk was known as "Tankograd".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shafts full.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	249821