Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
LoveToDive

Hawaii blue water hunting

Hey Guys,
I also posted something in the Hawaii section but doesnt seem like many people are on from down there.

ANY CALI SPEAROS HAVE ANY INFO OR EXPERIENCE WITH HAWAII?

I am looking to visit Hawaii from JUNE 19 - JUNE 24 specifically for spearfishing.

I can travel to ANY island which will have the BEST BLUE WATER HUNTING. I would love to know the best Charter Guide for Offshore Spearfishing ... specifically would like to be targeting Yellowfin Tuna, Wahoo and Mahi Mahi.

Also completely open to pay a local with a boat , I'm a safe, experienced diver- have been around blue water and sharks comfortably.

Here is a 65 Pound Wahoo I shot a month ago in Louisiana in some of the sharkiest waters I've ever seen lol etc:

https://instagram.com/p/2GpjX7vaxS/?taken-by=averyandon

Also got this nice 20+ Pound Blackfin Tuna, but am still chasing my first YellowFin Tuna and hope I can get one in Hawaii:

https://instagram.com/p/021lzIPazL/?taken-by=averyandon

Let me know any ideas ... would love the best island to visit for Pelagics in June in Hawaii and any Charter suggestions etc.

Biggest thing is I need a Charter or fellow Diver with a Blue Water Gun / Rig setup I can use, since I will be traveling through Singapore and CANNOT bring ANY of my own rigs!

ALSO - looking to hop on a BLUE WATER / TUNA SPEARFISHING TRIP IN CALIFORNIA at the END OF JUNE or EARLY JULY ... PM ME WITH ANY TRIPS!
LoveToDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
fisherman1133

Re: Hawaii blue water hunting

I don't know much about any other island except Big Island kona side. That being said I shot my first Mahi with Rob from bluewater hunter and highly recommend him or Calvin Lai. I have speared with both of them and you cant go wrong with either of them. Calvin is at Kona spearfishing outlet and Rob is bluewaterhunter.
fisherman1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
Bob Ballew

Hawaii guys can give far better advice than I...but, I had some good luck diving the anchored cable (fad?)floats out between the islands back in the day..there are tuna, wahoo and marlin there due to the bait hanging under the floats...we would jump in, shoot a fish quickly and get out fast, as the shark population enjoyed the floats as much as we did...got to see my first tiger there...a 10'er who was more curious than aggressive...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 06-01-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Tommy T

Call Calvin Lai 808-960-5371 in the Kona area. Don't bother with BWH. Calvin is THE man! You'll be stoked. Good luck. T
Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote