Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
keithfernandez
SoFloSpearo till death

Exclamation Gat-ku vs. Riffe vs. Mako

I am ordering a polespear for Christmas. I want it between 7-9feet. Also my price range is around 200$. I like the gat-ku ones a lot and they still have to december deal, also I heard the riffe ones are good. My friends have makos and they like them a lot. I was just torn between which ones to get. Any info or pros/cons would be awesome! thanks guys!

Ezra 10:4 \/ B.A.T.T.L.E \/ Keep it reel \/ Salt Life till I die
keithfernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
wyatt youngs

Re: Gat-ku vs. Riffe vs. Mako

gat ku is slower but packs a punch on larger fish wile riffe is lite and fast for up to a 20lb fish and a mako is a good in between its slower than riffe but faster than gatku it dosnt hit as hard as katku but hits harder than riffe i would say up to 25lb fish with slip tip (just my 2 cents)
wyatt youngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
kwtony
Snorkel Master

do yourself a favor and get Crist....
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt youngs View Post
gat ku is slower but packs a punch on larger fish wile riffe is lite and fast for up to a 20lb fish and a mako is a good in between its slower than riffe but faster than gatku it dosnt hit as hard as katku but hits harder than riffe i would say up to 25lb fish with slip tip (just my 2 cents)
you have no idea what youre talking about gatku is the fastest of them all riffe is second and mako is third.mako hits hard because it is a heavy spear.riffe is good for fish way over 20lbs riffe was made for big fish dorado,tuna,amberjack etc.gatku is very fast becuase it is a hybrid spear. Pole Spear Amberjack Cameron Kirkconnell - YouTube this is the riffe spear.please dont post things you know nothing about.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithfernandez View Post
I am ordering a polespear for Christmas. I want it between 7-9feet. Also my price range is around 200$. I like the gat-ku ones a lot and they still have to december deal, also I heard the riffe ones are good. My friends have makos and they like them a lot. I was just torn between which ones to get. Any info or pros/cons would be awesome! thanks guys!
go with gatku is perfect for hog fish,snapper,and will be fast enough to hit those spanish macks.good luck
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
phil herranen

Gat-ku is light and fast
Crist is heavy and hits hard
Riffe is overpriced

My call is run with the little guy . If you want quality ,or the big guy if you are buying a name .

I personaly like fast so gat-ku is my call .

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Kraken
I am the sea

The riffe is definitely one of the best on the market and Ive seen it do some incredible things like Cameron stoning that 55lb amber jack. I was the one he handed the camera off to and I was right behind him on that dive and all I could think about was how bad of an idea it was! They are definitely pricey but they are about as good as it gets. I havnt used a Crist but I know they are top notch polespears too. I have owned both gatku and lance ohara and they are both almost identical and I love both of them. The lance has taken down the last 3 red grouper world records and I have personally shot 2 african pompano with it without it breaking. You cannot go wrong with a gatku or Lanco Ohara. This video is practically a highlight of what the Lance is capable of...Watch in HD!
The Sweet Life-Bahamas 2012 - YouTube

Spearheads Spearfishing Episodes!
http://www.youtube.com/spearheadstv
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Mr Paul
Queerboard Kook

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
Riffe is overpriced.
Phil, I heard Riffe is having their warehouse sale this weekend. We might be able to get a deal on a polespear. Normally they sell for 80% over retail, but for this weekend, you can probably get one for 40% over retail.
Mr Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
wyatt youngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
Gat-ku is light and fast
Crist is heavy and hits hard
Riffe is overpriced

My call is run with the little guy . If you want quality ,or the big guy if you are buying a name .

I personaly like fast so gat-ku is my call .
my bad i got kat ku and crist mixed up lol
wyatt youngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
petej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
The riffe is definitely one of the best on the market and Ive seen it do some incredible things like Cameron stoning that 55lb amber jack. I was the one he handed the camera off to and I was right behind him on that dive and all I could think about was how bad of an idea it was! They are definitely pricey but they are about as good as it gets. I havnt used a Crist but I know they are top notch polespears too. I have owned both gatku and lance ohara and they are both almost identical and I love both of them. The lance has taken down the last 3 red grouper world records and I have personally shot 2 african pompano with it without it breaking. You cannot go wrong with a gatku or Lanco Ohara. This video is practically a highlight of what the Lance is capable of...Watch in HD!
The Sweet Life-Bahamas 2012 - YouTube
Wow that is the coolest video ever. You have got the life! and awesome editing job.
petej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #11
SnpperWhisperer
Ban all spearguns

Keith, I haven't tried the mako or riffe, but I expect you will be ok buying any of those three spears. It may take a few spears to find the perfect weapon for your location and style, but the differences are really minor and a personal thing that may not make much difference to your success. I do think length is very important, 8 ft is pretty much a minimum for me around reefs, and 9 to 10 ft+ ok for Pelagics.
In any event, please send reports and pictures of how you get on!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #12
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

crist. The others were made to be replaced. The Crist was made to BE the replacement
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
apeogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnpperWhisperer View Post
Keith, I haven't tried the mako or riffe, but I expect you will be ok buying any of those three spears. It may take a few spears to find the perfect weapon for your location and style, but the differences are really minor and a personal thing that may not make much difference to your success.
I agree, it might take a few spears to figure out your style. I have 3 polespears and they all have different purposes. The 8 foot crist with a 3 foot shaft is for snapper and grouper, the 6 foot crist with 3 foot shaft is for daytime reef/hole hunting and my 8 foot gatku is for night time. The gat-ku is very fast and hits with a little bit if force. Both crists are noticeably slower, but hit like trains. You may ask yourself, why do you need such a long polespear for those fish, well, where I live, they are extremely wary of people underwater and will turn and run the second they think you're coming after them. Stalking and hiding behind cover is a must.

A few things you may want to think about, as the gat-ku gets longer it also gets more flexible. I had a 10 footer that was great for sitting and waiting, but tracking faster moving fish was tough due to the flex. The 8 footer doesn't have that problem.
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
apeogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Killer vid!
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
Polespearo
Waterman

Agree with apexdiver!

I have used Gatku and Riffe, they are both great, like everyone said Gatku is superfast and riffe powers up more.

What is your fishing style? What fish are you after? Why a polespear? What is your budget?

The answer to those questions will tell you what polespear is best for you!

In any case go with sliptip or at least flopper! And dont worry about it, as long as you are on the water speargishin you will be fine with any of those! Heck, even a tweaked out jbl is fun and eficient! (If you want a quick answer, my choice woukd be 8 or 9 ft gatku with sliptip)

Good luck!
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote