Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Ktown808
Lookin for the big bugga

Lobster Opener SoCal

Sorry about the log jam of reports I have been slammed the last two weeks and have not had a chance to post much of anything but I figured better late than never.
Went out last weekend for the Lobster opener on my buddies Matt and 805Mikes boat “The Manini” and had a hell of a time.

Conditions: Viz 10ft-20ft with a slight surge underwater in the shallows. Surface conditions were great and it was amazing to be anchored up on the boat. Water temp was anywhere between 62-65 degrees depending what depth you were at.

Gaming: Tons of bugs nothing huge but some solid 2 pounders and the rest your standard just legal models. I did notice a kind of a weird phenomenon with some of the bugs that I have never ran across before and maybe somebody has seen this before as well or could help shine some light on it. I grabbed multiple lobsters that had nice solid legs and horns but ended up being just short when I measured their Carapace… I have been lobster diving for a couple years now and have a pretty good understanding of what a legal bug looks like underwater but this was weird because some I grabbed I would have guaranteed were legal but after measuring ended up being short.. Anyway kind of a neat experience I guess.
Tons of BIG Calico in the water and a bunch of Cabz around but paid them no mind for the most part because we were on the hunt for roaches.

Overall: In the end a great trip everybody got their limit and we celebrated with some beers and great post dive stories. Another great opener and happy everybody got back safe and had a good time.
Cheers,
Logan

P.S I did have a mid-size YT breeze me on the outside of the kelp bed on my way back to the boat on Scuba and a buddy of mine ran into one of our prehistoric buddies the Black Seabass. The bizarre part is that we were diving an area that they are not frequent by any means so I guess that’s a good indicator of the health of the reef!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brian and me.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	196612   Click image for larger version

Name:	lobster1.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	196613   Click image for larger version

Name:	lobster pile.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	196645  

Last edited by Ktown808; 10-07-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Ktown808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Lompoc Local
Errin

Re: Lobster Opener SoCal

You might want to rename your first photo and repost it. And then remove the fourth photo or you will get a slurry of pm's.

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Ktown808
Lookin for the big bugga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
You might want to rename your first photo and repost it. And then remove the fourth photo or you will get a slurry of pm's.
Thanks! didn't even notice the name on the saved JPEG. Still a bit confused on "the fourth" photo though please expound?

Thanks

Logan
Old 10-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
seal
South of Pt. Conception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktown808 View Post
Thanks! didn't even notice the name on the saved JPEG. Still a bit confused on "the fourth" photo though please expound?

Thanks

Logan
Probably looks like an overlimit of bugs, given the pile and only one set of feet in the pic. I get it, but others might not. Only thing I can think of, though.

I did something similar with some abs a couple years back, but with 2 sets of feet in the pic and had DFG knocking on my door with a warrant the morning after I got back home.
seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Ktown808
Lookin for the big bugga

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal View Post
Probably looks like an overlimit of bugs, given the pile and only one set of feet in the pic. I get it, but others might not. Only thing I can think of, though.

I did something similar with some abs a couple years back, but with 2 sets of feet in the pic and had DFG knocking on my door with a warrant the morning after I got back home.
Geez, was unaware that things were so technical. Thanks for the heads up!

Logan