Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-17-2018, 03:48 AM   #1
doyenofcastle

Wood borer

Hi guys

I am facing a problem and need your advices ,bought a padouk wood long time ago and recently I have laminated it for 1/2 inch strips i notice small black holes on one strip few weeks ago but today the black holes spreads in each strip its 1/16 dia ,i really disappointed cause i cant glue the strip with MC still between 14-16 %
I was planning to leave it till January ,search in internet all selling products not available near my place so i just spray insect killer and think to seal each bore with epoxy
Any good advices ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180717_094433.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	238809   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180717_094441.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	238810   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180717_094557.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	238811  
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:02 AM   #2
SEATUX

Re: Wood borer

Lacquer thinner, pour it all over the wood concentrating on the bore holes. It will kill both the bores and any eggs, yet not hurt or discolor the wood ( provided you don’t have a stain or finish on it yet) DON'T seal the holes without killing the bores or you will regret it!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:32 AM   #3
SEATUX

Here is a Great product I have used, For large amounts of wood. It kills and protects, Problem is it's water base, and that can cause you issues when doing a gun. But if you are storing and aging wood in bulk it would be a good choice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	timbor_product.gif
Views:	89
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	238812  
Old 07-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
Gettingrouper2
Senior Shooter

If you know someone with a walk in freezer, just stick inside that for 3 to 4 days and "anything inside" that is alive is now DEAD !!... Then final prep it for epoxy coating... JMO
Gettingrouper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #5
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingrouper2 View Post
If you know someone with a walk in freezer, just stick inside that for 3 to 4 days and "anything inside" that is alive is now DEAD !!... Then final prep it for epoxy coating... JMO
Sorry, that's not accurate.
Do a Google search.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
Gettingrouper2
Senior Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Sorry, that's not accurate.
Do a Google search.
Well maybe not for some, I have done it 3 times for various applications , oak risers on stairs, antique mirror (frame) etc and had excellent post results, completely dead with zero powder (wood dust) coming from the woods weeks and months later. This was for powder post beetles, which by his pics, it looks as though that is what he has IMO. I believe the key is the length or duration of the freeze, I had access to a large commercial deep freezer. I'm certainly not here to argue or debate whether it does or does not work as I am not a professional, just stating that it " has worked for me" on numerous occasions throughout the years , that's all. He can do whatever he prefers...

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2012...e-your-beetles

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef640
Gettingrouper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
SEATUX

If it was so easy to freeze insects eggs to death there wouldn't be any insects in Alaska, or Greenland, etc. ( which BTW are FULL of insects!)
You may notice that In my first post I said EGGS, not LARVAE...i said that for a reason.

But I'm with you, I don't care what he does, it's his wood.

https://www.powderpostbeetles.com/co...le-larvae.html

I’d like to know a bit more please. Would sub-freezing temperature kill the larvae? I have some in a new picture frame which is now in my garage, and we’ve had sub zero (celsius) for a few nights now. I removed the painting and kept it indoors. Also may some have left the frame to fall to the cabinet below, or flown into the room to land elsewhere?

Both adults and larvae are easy to kill. Freezing temps will affect the larvae faster as they’re not so resistant to the cold. But adults can go “dormant” for awhile and come back to life when it warms. Just how long they can endure the cold before they die depends on a lot of things including the species. But the real question is whether or not any of this matters.

You see, the real way to measure any wood with an active beetle problem is to measure how many eggs it has and not how many larvae. You see, eggs will not be killed by cold. And so when it warms they’ll hatch to larvae and the process of the larvae feeding on the wood will continue until it’s been treated. So if you want to keep the frame, you’ll need to treat it with the JECTA GEL or BORACARE we have featured in our article.

As for the cabinet below; adult beetles that may have released from the frame could be anywhere because they fly. And since they’re mostly drawn to light, once they release in any home they usually end up around window frames or light fixtures unless it’s the middle of the night when they emerge. If that happens, they tend to rely more on their sense of smell and end up crawling into some kind of wood crack close to where they came from.

Here are direct links to the information and products listed above:

Powderpost Beetle Article:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
Castor

Check out Nuvan Pro strips. These gas gas off and the fumes will penetrate into the holes. You either need to bag it or wrap it with stretch wrap around the outside of the Nuvan Strip.

Another alternative is to find a friend who is having their house tented and leave it in there.

Good luck.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:54 AM   #9
doyenofcastle

Thanks for all reply I ll spray insect killer then use thinner all over the strips and transfer to other room and spray again hope this save the wood BTW there are iroko a,kosipo and beech wood but insect go through padouk only like its her favourite candy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180719_133140.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	238824  
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote