Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > Repairs to Engines and Boats

Repairs to Engines and Boats BOAT means "Break Out Another Thousand" to many of us. Discuss your engine and hull repairs here.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Scubapilot

30 Year Boat Yard Owner / Technician

I am Dominick, I own a Small Boat yard in Flagler Beach,FL...And like you I am a boat owner and spearfisherman. We currently are Mercruiser, Honda, Nissan-Tohatsu Dealers, and Regularly work on Yamaha, J&E, Mercury.

I will try to help with your questions about boat repairs....Please bear in mind that I don't have "Crystal-Balls", Intuition, ESP, or at times, a lot of patience...But I will do what I can to help you guys with your boat issues ...

I have been doing this work "Hands On", for almost 30 years now, and have been in Flagler Beach, FL for 22 years at this location.

Go To my internet work in progress...marinemechanicsinc.com to get a little info about the bussiness...

I am "subcribed" to this thread so post here first....I will check from time to time...

Last edited by Scubapilot; 10-24-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Scubapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: 30 Year Boat Yard Owner / Technician

Great introduction! I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have, no matter how silly. Send me a PM if need be.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
9x19MdM

Question 120 Force - Tilt / Trim issue?

I have a 1995 Force (by Merc) 120 hp outboard with power tilt and trim. A few years ago we had new carpet and upholstery put in the boat and the guys that did the work had to disconnect all of the wiring to do the work, but then could not figure out how to reconnect it correctly. I swear, before this I could trim/tilt the motor to any position and power the boat onto the trailer. Now when I throttle up, the motor will drop all the way (bottom out on the bracket) or run the prop into the ramp.
The power trim works fine and holds the motor in place if it's at a normal run position and under a load and the tilt works fine to raise and lower the motor when installing the transom saver.

Is this normal, an electrical issue, or a tilt issue?
9x19MdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #4
Scubapilot

There were a few variations of the tilt and trim on this particular engine.

Some were equipped with tilt only, which would not hold the engine up under power, but would lower when any more than an idle power was used. This system is easiest identified by only having one hydraulic cylinder under the engine.

Give me your serial number and I will attempt to get a straight up answer for you. A picture would be quit helpful also.

I don't believe you are describing a electrical issue. And I would further think not if the up and down trim switch is confirmed as working as designed, and the electric motor of the trim system is not running when the throttle lever is pushed forward. I did have a trim wire being pinched against a power wire one time when the throttle was being moved forward. We can test for this by turning the key to the ON position, not running the motor, manually shift the engine into gear and advancing the throttle. Does the electric trim motor start running? Then wiggle the wires under the shifter and see if this gives us the event we are looking for.

Likely, if your engine has only one cylinder under the engine transom bracket, and not the short "Stubby" trim ram, the unit is reacting as designed.

Hope this helps,...Get me the serial number and a picture and I can better guide you.

Dominick
Old 08-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
9x19MdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubapilot View Post
There were a few variations of the tilt and trim on this particular engine.

Some were equipped with tilt only, which would not hold the engine up under power, but would lower when any more than an idle power was used. This system is easiest identified by only having one hydraulic cylinder under the engine.

Give me your serial number and I will attempt to get a straight up answer for you. A picture would be quit helpful also.

I don't believe you are describing a electrical issue. And I would further think not if the up and down trim switch is confirmed as working as designed, and the electric motor of the trim system is not running when the throttle lever is pushed forward. I did have a trim wire being pinched against a power wire one time when the throttle was being moved forward. We can test for this by turning the key to the ON position, not running the motor, manually shift the engine into gear and advancing the throttle. Does the electric trim motor start running? Then wiggle the wires under the shifter and see if this gives us the event we are looking for.

Likely, if your engine has only one cylinder under the engine transom bracket, and not the short "Stubby" trim ram, the unit is reacting as designed.

Hope this helps,...Get me the serial number and a picture and I can better guide you.

Dominick
FYI... There was a recall on the throttle assembly a couple of years after we bought the boat. The original would "hold" the throttle position but after the new one was installed it's a two handed operation to steer and maintain a higher speed.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
Scubapilot

As for the Throttle moving on it's own, there is a adjustment for "friction" on the control. Shoot me a picture of the control assembly and I will tell you how to add a little friction to the handle.

I am looking into the tilt system.....Back in a few....
Old 08-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #7
Scubapilot

I just looked up this unit and indeed it is Tilt and "Trim", The hydraulic system should hold the motor in the position selected and left at.

As I indicated before the wiring could be at fault in the sense that it could be powering the unit down when your moving the handle forward or inadvertently touching the down trim switch. Otherwise the hydraulic unit has an internal leak allowing it move under pressure.

A sure fire way to find if the issue is in the wiring or the Hydraulic assembly, would be to set the engine at a trim level, say 10 degrees, disconnect the power wires to the pump motor and see if the unit pushes down.

Hope this helps and it should find where the issue is. In the wiring or the hydraulic unit.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
9x19MdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubapilot View Post

As I indicated before the wiring could be at fault in the sense that it could be powering the unit down when your moving the handle forward or inadvertently touching the down trim switch. Otherwise the hydraulic unit has an internal leak allowing it move under pressure.

A sure fire way to find if the issue is in the wiring or the Hydraulic assembly, would be to set the engine at a trim level, say 10 degrees, disconnect the power wires to the pump motor and see if the unit pushes down.

Hope this helps and it should find where the issue is. In the wiring or the hydraulic unit.
Tested for the throttle / wiring issue (key on, motor not running, move throttle to forward position) and that is not the problem.

Where is the best/easiest place to disconnect the power wires to the pump?

Old 08-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #9
Scubapilot

Follow the wires from the pump motor under the engine into the cowl, then a wire connection will be found. Simply unplug it.

The friction control for this control box (according to the repair manual) is just under the bottom of the shift handle. It may be necessary to remove the upper and lower "clam" covers to gain access to the slotted screw. Tighten a little at a time to increase the friction of the handle.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #10
agbiv
Spear, cook, and eat fish

I have a 1985 OMC 1.6L ob and need to advance the idle a bit. I've looked and can't seem to find any instruction. Advice please!!!
Old 09-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #11
Scubapilot

Chef Al,
Sorry it took so long to get back with you....

If you still need assistance. Take the cowling off the powerhead, on the starboard side of the engine you will find the throttle advance linkages. Have a friend move the throttle lever and what you are looking for is the idle stop screw adjustment. It should move off the block whenever the throttle handle is moved off the neutral position. Move it several times to locate this adjustment screw. Loosen the jam nut and turn the screw clockwise to advance the idle setting. The thing to look for is to not jam the control cable when returning to an idle and to make sure the idle stop screw contacts the block every time the throttle is advanced and returned to idle. This cable adjustment is done with the knob made onto the control cable itself which is located in the bottom of the cowl starboard side of the engine.
Hope this helps.
I must say that generally the idle will not move out of adjustment without some other issue developing. Like carburetors are fouled, water in fuel, Ect. Idle adjustment should not be used to mask another issue. Your engine mixes the oil with the fuel before the carburetors, if the carburetor is not allowing enough fuel to the engine, it's not allowing enough oil either.
Let me know what you think,....
If want to call me, pm me your phone number
Old 09-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #12
agbiv
Spear, cook, and eat fish

Thanks! I'll clean the carbs but this has been an issue since I bought the boat (very used) several years ago. Yes there has been water in fuel--cleaned and taken care of. Yes the carbs need a clean--so--that being known, I'll do those FIRST and then adjust idle if need be. More hands have been on this motor than an exotic dancer looking for dollar bills,,,so who knows whats been done to it.

I'll report back when done.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
Scubapilot

Sure thing,....

Good luck with it,....
Old 10-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #14
Habo

Appreciate to offer here to help/answer.

I have a 2005 Yamaha 90, 300 hours, garage kept and pretty much babied. Last Service was 2 years ago(260 hours) and it was the routine seasonal service, no problems.
Two outings ago the trim began fast but then slowed to a crawl last few seconds of raising the motor only. Thought it was battery, checked, OK. (I am no mechanic), next outing the trim did the same, but now up and down. I tried the trim at the motor and the trim at the throttle, both doing the same. Last outing the trim completely stopped after the first few seconds of use, both up and down, but resumed after a few minutes rest. I know I need a mechanic, but what can I check?

Thanks
Habo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #15
Riptide1

Hey Dominic,
Who has a higher kill record, you or the dog???

Last edited by Riptide1; 11-07-2015 at 08:30 PM. Reason: :D
Riptide1 is offline   Reply With Quote