Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #16
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Re: Goliath Rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
My philosophy is, "What happens underwater stays underwater." If I feel threatened . . . . well, let's just say it won't end well for what is threatening me.
Just a thought but.....The second amandment of the US Constitution says you have the right to bear arms against all foes, foreign or domestic. Therefore, If I was getting attacked by, or I felt my personal health/safety was being threatened by a Goliath or a Shark I would defend myself with deadly force without hesitation. If you ever got hauled in front of a judge for killing a protected species I would think you would have a valid 2nd amandment argument. I don’t see why that foe could not be an animal/fish instead of a person. I personally know 2 Divers who were attacked and suffered serious injury from a Goliath while spearfishing.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 07-16-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #17
jfjf

Saw a very large GG yesterday. Came out of his hole, checked me out and ducked back in.

No following me or anything. I could clearly see a very fresh wound on his head, almost certainly from a spearshaft.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #18
Bonedaddio

Awesome thread, Eibwen.
FWIW, Eibwen is a good dive buddy, and dives well! We had a great time, except for the Triple G. (Greedy Goliath Grouper), oh yeah, and the “pull you into the Middle Grounds” current. Another dive buddy says jab them in the head...(myself, I would never do something illegal, never never) I don’t like them stealing from me either, the baaastaaaads!
I’m pretty new, it was my first experience with one.
I was about 7 ft. off the bottom, had a really nice Gag on my spear, was pulling him up to me, and the GG calmly loomed up under me like a Russian missile sub, and just sucked the fish and spear down! I got all “Gimme back my spear” (which looked like a toothpick in the corner of his mouth, I kid u not), and luckily yanked it out. Yay heavy mono line!
He then followed (more paralleled) either of us around, and moved quickly to wherever he heard the sound of a speargun. He’s clearly done this before, a lot!
I did try to face him down, and he clearly didn’t give a shit. At least he wasn’t diver-aggressive, that could of been stoopid on my part, and ended badly... he was freaking big around as a barrel, and every bit as long as Eibwen said. When I gave it up, I was 8 feet from him and was starting to fill up vision!
I think I finally got my GoPro rig working (it would shut off after five minutes grrrrr), next time there’ll be video, cause I’m pretty sure there’ll be one (thanks, damn fish-huggers!).
Yeah, if I can get a crew together, it would be great not anchor and follow the bubbles.
Then really had to swim to get to the boat. I’ve already setup a looong trail rope for down-current. And looking into a small, disable EPIRB.
Bonedaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #19
grey2112

Perhaps some time in the future I can take you guys out with me, or I can go out on your boat, and we can swap some strategies and help each other out. Maybe it is luck, maybe it is Maybelline - but the Jewfish and I have an understanding.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #20
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Perhaps some time in the future I can take you guys out with me, or I can go out on your boat, and we can swap some strategies and help each other out. Maybe it is luck, maybe it is Maybelline - but the Jewfish and I have an understanding.
The goliaths on the ledges we prefer to dive are way different than the ones that hang around the public reefs and wrecks. Those guys are conditioned to see a struggling fish and slam it.

The ledge goliaths are much much slower to connect the whole struggling fish thing with "dinner".

If you go shoot at one of these places with rabid goliaths, they will make sure you "understand."

But the other points are valid. The dumb oafs don't realize how much brains count for, and we can definitely train them to avoid divers. But they are still fearsomely powerful and should be respected.

In this aspect of their behavior, they are very similar to alligators. Feed them, even accidentally, and they learn to be ready for given food. Teach them to fear "man", and they withdraw respectfully. Like the 8-footer that lived on the *other side* of my pond, once she learned
Old 07-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #21
Bonedaddio

Quote:
It COULD be that I've not yet touched the Pickled Pelican! I understand there are magical properties to this!!

Yes absolutely to both, your boat or mine!

In between torrential deluges, I'd like to shoot some fish!!
Bonedaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #22
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedaddio View Post
It COULD be that I've not yet touched the Pickled Pelican! I understand there are magical properties to this!!

Yes absolutely to both, your boat or mine!

In between torrential deluges, I'd like to shoot some fish!!
Don't you bring bad juju on to the Pelican!

I'm hoping this damn rain leaves us soon, too!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #23
Eibwen

Quote:
Hrm, yeah maybe just need to be seen with the correct yard gang. I'd be honored to spill some blood (the fish kind) on the Pickled Pelican. Thanks!
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #24
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
Hrm, yeah maybe just need to be seen with the correct yard gang. I'd be honored to spill some blood (the fish kind) on the Pickled Pelican. Thanks!
You are welcome!