Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
Krosys1

Southern California weather question

Hey all,

I had a question on going out on a boat in high wind, or rather when is it too windy? like this weekend the swell looks decent but this sunday morning the oxnard airport weather beacon was saying it's upwards of 24mph and 29mph gusts. other sites say the anacapa passage is around 14mph. i know i wouldn't do a shore dive at 14-20mph but how is the crossing to the islands in 15mph wind? If i went to the islands and anchored where it's blocking wind would be a big deal?

I canceled today's dive because i thought the wind was too much but i dont really know where that cut off is. I'm in a Parker 2320 for what i'd be going out in.

Thanks ahead of time!
Krosys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
JamesF123

Re: Southern California weather question

Depends on your comfort level pretty much. It won’t neccesarily be a fun ride out in that much wind, and your not prob gonna get much good kelp/bluewater action. Gowever, if you park in a cove and stick to reef fish, you should be fine. I’m not by any means an expert in the area, that’s just my opinion.
JamesF123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
Dannowar

Onshore winds definitely not. Offshore winds I'm surfing. Being on a boat in the wind sucks
Dannowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #4
Postmortem
Eric

There's a handful of variables to consider, but generally 15 kt winds are unpleasant and anymore more than that can be dangerous. Since you have a pilot house you'll stay dry but I'd rather be home than getting the snot beat out of me. Also, anacapa passage is not a place you want to get caught in. Weather can change fast and the swell interval can get tight. Save your gas money for a better day out.
Postmortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #5
HEX
Hector F.

just wait a couple of days, Tuesday looks good!
Old 01-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
Krosys1

Thanks guys. just looking for input. I'm just looking for a cut off on what could be dangerous or just not worth going out. seems like a made the right call today.

i live in santa clarita so i dont want to drive 45 min for nothing lol.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
Krosys1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
just wait a couple of days, Tuesday looks good!
yah that would be nice if i didn't work monday-friday all the damn time! i'm already pushing my luck on vacation time with work. =/
Old 01-28-2018, 09:26 PM   #8
Bob Ballew

...The channel between the islands can be a washing machine in Santa Ana winds and has sunk more than one boat. However, the backside of Catalina and San Nic can be flat as glass with great diving in this type of weather, while Avalon bay is getting wiped out....the Channel Islands are a different ball game due their smaller size, with high winds whipping up and over them, often providing no protection in the lee....
...Also, you have to look at the swell direction in addition to the Santa Ana wind direction...usually these conditions create a washing machine effect due to crosschop. With that said, coming home can be victory at sea and dangerous as hell until the winds let down...
...Once, I had to turn back while coming in from Catalina and go out to sea to avoid capsizing, ending up near San Nic until the wind backed off and I could head in...Big yachts have gone down trying to buck head on wind and big waves while in sight of the mainland....captain error and possibly fatal....

Wine of the Day: just opened my first bottle of merlot from a Baja winery for the Grammies...I rate it excellent...mild with no acidic residue...try "Santo Tomas" merlot 2016!

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 01-28-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Bob Ballew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #9
Krosys1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
...The channel between the islands can be a washing machine in Santa Ana winds and has sunk more than one boat. However, the backside of Catalina and San Nic can be flat as glass with great diving in this type of weather, while Avalon bay is getting wiped out....the Channel Islands are a different ball game due their smaller size, with high winds whipping up and over them, often providing no protection in the lee....
...Also, you have to look at the swell direction in addition to the Santa Ana wind direction...usually these conditions create a washing machine effect due to crosschop. With that said, coming home can be victory at sea and dangerous as hell until the winds let down...
...Once, I had to turn back while coming in from Catalina and go out to sea to avoid capsizing, ending up near San Nic until the wind backed off and I could head in...Big yachts have gone down trying to buck head on wind and big waves while in sight of the mainland....captain error and possibly fatal....
Thanks Bob.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #10
Lompoc Local
Errin

You should not go out to Capa if there are strong offshore winds coming out of Ventura.

The forecast might say 25 knots and then all of a sudden its blowing 40. It is very difficult to forecast the strength of offshore events and the last thing you want to do is come home driving uphill against 40 knot winds generating short period swell.

No bueno!

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #11
Bob Ballew

...Postscript: On the other side of the coin, Santa Anas can be beneficial...Most events last 2 to 3 days. I have used the final day for a flat weather crossing and good diving, as by then, the incoming waves have been knocked flat by opposing offshore winds. The result is flat seas and diminishing winds, allowing for an often, lake like condition for the return home a day later.
... Parkers can handle most moderate weather issues, especially if you have an enclosed cabin but, can jar the heck out of your spine dropping off waves over 3'....I plan on installing "Seaspension" brand (shock absorber) seating on my twin-engine 25' Parker to compensate for the jarring effect of the deep v hull design...
Old 01-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
...Postscript: On the other side of the coin, Santa Anas can be beneficial...Most events last 2 to 3 days. I have used the final day for a flat weather crossing and good diving, as by then, the incoming waves have been knocked flat by opposing offshore winds. The result is flat seas and diminishing winds, allowing for an often, lake like condition for the return home a day later.
... Parkers can handle most moderate weather issues, especially if you have an enclosed cabin but, can jar the heck out of your spine dropping off waves over 3'....I plan on installing "Seaspension" brand (shock absorber) seating on my twin-engine 25' Parker to compensate for the jarring effect of the deep v hull design...
I heard those hulls are not good for going downhill as they broach and jog because of the deep V hull.

No bueno!

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #13
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Hey Bob. Good idea in getting a suspension pedestal, best investment we can do for our Parkers and our backs. I would go with pro pedestal vs seaspension as it's half the price and as good or better quality. A few of my Parker buddies run the pro pedestal and they love it better than the seaspension. I'm going to be getting one soon, here's a link where you can find it. No affiliation just going by real world reviews.

http://www.gotshockmitigation.com
Old 01-30-2018, 03:04 AM   #14
Bob Ballew

thanks for the additional source info....wasn't familiar with Pro Pedestal ...will do more research....also, looking into installing a half-tower and seat on the roof for spotting paddies...then, there are the $3,000 stabilizing binocs we all need to find fish....plus the never ending search for the underpriced house on the water; with a boat slip, of course......ad infinum

Broaching hasn't been a real issue, as I adjust the trim tabs when waves are rolling in on the stern, which helps stabilize the boat. When it is rough, you have to slow down anyway and most of my wave action is coming from the port side out of the northwest while returning home. The tradeoff with v hulls is high speed when conditions are fair to good. My Parker cruises along nicely at 27 mph and will top out at 46 on flat water. I don't go out anymore in iffy weather, as I frequently do solo trips....At turning 71, you pick the sunny, nice days to make a run and surf the internet for armchair adventures on the bad days!....When I initially stored my Parker at Huntington Beach, there was one other Parker there...Now, there are 8....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 01-30-2018 at 03:30 AM.