Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-25-2020, 05:44 AM   #16
spearq8

Re: roller vs standard gun: a range and penetration test

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Yes I understand the principle of having the spear exit super stable.
I was rather wondering specifically which double roller you are referring too in your previous comment?
Check out Albattar on instagram. He has made huge progress with big double roller guns @ 130 and higher. He sent me a video of his gun going almost full through the tuna penetration test at 6m so I think it would pass at 8m. Also his latest videos sniping fish at very long distance is very impressive. That kind of accuracy at those kinds of distances is only possible if you really have your shaft super stable.

Here is one link from his instagram account which is quite active.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6DN512l...d=vad24e3cz8q4
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #17
kodama

Great thanks. Will look into it Straight away.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:31 PM   #18
spearq8

Another person who seems to have made major progress with his double roller speargun design is Satdiver who posts here sometimes. I have seen videos of his large double roller spearguns perform much better than the top of the line Alemmani Vela 135 (which he also has). You can probably message him for more information.

With regards to Albattar, this person actually made a 9 hour trip to visit me just so he could test out his spearguns about 2 years ago. Those guns were already shooting better than any double roller gun I had tried, but to get them to shoot accurately we had to drop the power to about 70%. I guess like everything, progress can always be made once you have a problem and decide to chip away at it. Unfortunately due to Corona I wasn't able to try out the latest guns but if you go through is instagram channel you will find 6m tuna penetration test with shaft going almost full through. That is more than double the penetration of the gun he brought and tested with same test and I think most likely would pass the 8m test. However what really caught my attention is his videos shooting Mu in shallow water in the Red Sea. I do that same type of spearfishing and in that area those fish will not allow you to get close and distances are always 6m or more and fish are always moving. So at those distances you really need a fast shaft to get to them before they change direction. They are also relatively small fish and need a gun that can shoot extremely accurately to be able to get a hits at those distances. If you go through his instagram you can probably find those videos. Unfortunately I am somehow not able to copy and paste the videos he sent me directly.

Last edited by spearq8; 08-25-2020 at 11:51 PM.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:09 AM   #19
kodama

Thanks that is all very helpful.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #20
renepotvin

I need to get going on my 3 roller tbar gun

Http://www.renepotvin.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/potvinr