Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #46
Brandi
the ocean nutures my soul

Re: Pacific Coast Championships ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
No such luck.....
But I am pretty certain the locals there in Arcata can hook you up with something that could transport your mind to another dimension for the entirety of the drive, and you would not remember a thing once you got there!!!
I was being tongue in cheek Paul, perhaps as you are in your response? FWIW, I have a feeling there are far more mind altering substances in OC.

"The ocean changes with every tide" ~ Kenny Tallman

"If you involved in politics there is always going to be someone who is upset with you. You can never do the right thing for everyone." ~ JL
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #47
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
I was being tongue in cheek Paul, perhaps as you are in your response? FWIW, I have a feeling there are far more mind altering substances in OC.
Awww.................. you KNOW I am kidding with you.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #48
alrolex72
Monterey Triton

Things are starting to come together for the event and I think this is going to be a fun one. It looks like we might have a few more people than we originally thought. We just might break the 20 count.

I just finished the "Biggest Fish" award. A custom cutting board for the man or woman who brings home the big one.

See you Friday night
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Biggest Fish Award.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	196166  
CenCal Spearfishing
Monterey Bay Tritions
alrolex72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #49
slodiver

Hope conditions on Saturday are as good as today. Water was a little green but vis was still 10-15', nice and calm until afternoon. Swell is supposed to pick up tomorrow and fade throughout week.
slodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #50
paintbing
Life size fish tank

^Conditions look extremely favorable with wind and swell forecast for Saturday.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #51
dennisb925

The Pacific Coast Championships
hosted by Cen Cal Spearfishing
Date: October 5th, 2013

Hello everyone

Looks like it will be a great weekend on the Central Coast. Wind should be dying down and the sun will be shinning. Looking forward to a great weekend. I will be heading down early Friday morning. If there has been a meeting place that has previously been used please let me know. If not I will post my Campsite at the front entrance. I will also have a Northern California Skin Divers flag.

Just to recap the rules:

Please Note Entry payment on the day of the meet is OK. Cash or Check only. Pre- registration reservation is MANDATORY. No Late Registration.
***Registration closes at 9 PM October 4th, the night preceeding the competition**

Dive meet rules and Format – Please Read Very Carefully:
1) NO GPS, fishfinders, or smart cell phones may not be used nor possessed on the boards.
2) Scouting is not permitted. SCUBA scouting is explicity disallowe d.
3) A Dive Briefing will occur at 6 pm at the San Simeon State Park Campground. Location of the tournament will be announced at this time and will be decided at random, by a blind draw. Questions regarding tournament rules, etc may be addressed at this time. It is strongly encouraged that all competitors attend, even if they are not camping.
4) Meet starts at 9am in the staging area. Divers must return to the staging area by 3pm. Staging area will be set forth the day of the meet. Any DIVER not in the staging area with his fish @3pm is DQ’ed. There are No Boundaries.
5) Shore based diving and kayak diving. No motorized or wind-driven vessels.
6) VHF Radios or EPIRB Devices for emergency purposes are allowed. These must be presented and inspected by GLACD members prior to the meet. Failure to do this may result in DQ.
7) Dive lights are permitted and strongly encouraged.
8) Water/magnetic and non-electronic Compasses are allowed and encouraged. Conditions can get very foggy in this region.
9) Teams May not Swap fish, nor supplement each others' catch. Any instance will result in DQ of entire/both teams involved.
10) Team scores are 3 member max, with combined score for team
11) Teams may include up to three divers. Individuals are welcome to dive solo.
12) There are no womens or juniors division. Mixed council teams are accepted.
13) Trophies: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place Individual. Trophies for top 3 teams.
14) Top Competitor is Awarded an engraved place on the perpetual Al Schneppershoff Trophy.

Fish Scoring, Limits, and Size Requirements – Please Read Carefully:
 Open to all legal CA fish, except Sharks, rays, eels.
 20 fish total.
 3 fish per species, with exception for 2 sheephead total
 DFG catch limits are to be followed for rockfish (10 total) Ling cod (2), Cabezon (2)
 General length minimum is 14”. Sheephead = 18”.
 ***Halibut = 23”, Lingcod = 23” , White Seabass = 29” (<---yes, its possible!!)
 Any fish not meeting DFG minimum size will be an automatic DQ.
 Scoring: 1 point per fish, 1 point per pound. Total aggregate weight and points.

Camping Location:
San Simeon State Park Campground. 4.5 miles north of downtown Cambria on Hwy 1.
Latitude/Longitude: 35.6438 / -121.1897
Van Gordon Creek Road at San Simeon Creek Road, Cambria CA, 93428
Hotel and lodging available in Cambria, Hearst Castle, and Big Sur coastline.

Strongly Recommended Gear:
Good quality kayak wheels will be a must for this meet. Please try to arrange to bring them for
your board. If you have extra, they are always needed!!!

WARNING-DISCLAIMER: CenCal / CenCal Spearfishing dive club makes no pretence at having the ability to educate, protect, or ensure a member, associate, or applicant against fatal or other injuries incurred while engaged in any ocean related activity.
As an applicant, member, associate for this club I assume all risks associated with freediving
and spearfishing and release the management, members and their heirs, executors, and
guardians from any and all liability that might result from my injury or death participating in this
sport. I am aware of the inherent dangers including but not limited to shallow-water-blackout,
shark attack, drowning, ear and sinus injuries not to mention boating and equipment injuries
dennisb925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #52
dennisb925

Great looking Award. I picked up the awards for Jeff Maloney today and will post pictures of them tomorrow.

Dennis B

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrolex72 View Post
Things are starting to come together for the event and I think this is going to be a fun one. It looks like we might have a few more people than we originally thought. We just might break the 20 count.

I just finished the "Biggest Fish" award. A custom cutting board for the man or woman who brings home the big one.

See you Friday night
Old 10-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #53
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Dennis; we usually try to grab the center section, on the southern side. If that makes any sense?..... I'd say by the big pine tree- but there are 50 of them, so fat chance of that making any sense!!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #54
dennishaussler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
Dennis; we usually try to grab the center section, on the southern side. If that makes any sense?..... I'd say by the big pine tree- but there are 50 of them, so fat chance of that making any sense!!
Yeah,
its site 111,113,115, 76. those take up the whole corner, with a nice tree as well.
should be in by 3 or 4 tomorrow afternoon.

120 ft
Cause its a long way up,,,,,,,,
dennishaussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #55
alrolex72
Monterey Triton

Diving Before the PCC Event:

For divers that are looking to get wet on Friday and catch a little fish dinner, you may dive at Pico Creek.

Park at the GPS below and attached is a picture.

N 35°36'51.41
W 121° 8'50.57

Pico Creek was last years venue and it will not be included in this years drawing. Please respect the integrity of the event and don't push the limits of this area. Please stay in front of Pico or to the North.

Thank you,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pico Creek.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	196449  
CenCal Spearfishing
Monterey Bay Tritions

Last edited by alrolex72; 10-03-2013 at 04:37 PM.
alrolex72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #56
Kelsea
judge of my domain

http://magicseaweed.com/Cambria-Surf-Report/261/
Old 10-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #57
SCOTB

L bottom. XL top 7 mil for sale. $200

Wetsuit OMER. good condition.
Size 5 and size 6

I'm size 7.

Ill be bringing it to event if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Scott
SCOTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #58
dennisb925

I am happy to say that I have been getting a couple of emails regarding the registration for the event. Means more people are interested. Okay the rules I copied are a little misleading. One part says to pay by day of the event and the other states registration is due by 9 PM Friday. Please have all payments and paperwork to me before 8AM Saturday morning. I will be bringing printed registration paperwork. All you have to do to fill it out.

Remember potluck is Saturday night. For those of you with access to firewood please bring some. As for the location of the potluck it will be decided by the divers that show up. I am depending on those that have done this before to make this happen. Hopefully we will get the area that Dennis H has suggested.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #59
Kelsea
judge of my domain

For those who are attending:

PLEASE

bring extra kayak wheels

Extra applications printed out.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #60
dennisb925

Hello attached is the current paid competitors list for the Pacific Coast Championships. See you all at the campground.
Dennis Belcher
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pacific_Coast_Championships_2013.pdf (112.9 KB, 136 views)