Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Unhappy RIP David Ley - Firefighter Diver On Emerald Dive Charter Passed Thanksgiving 2016

The original poster of the first thread deleted it. Now, that the name of the diver has been made public, let's honor his memory with prayers that he rest in eternal peace. The diving community offers condolences to his family and friends. David was admired and loved by many according to this article. RIP David Ley.

Beloved EMT, Firefighter From Ocean County Dies In Florida Diving Accident

Toms River, New Jersey Patch
Friday, November 25th 2016

David Ley from Toms River, Island Heights volunteer firefighter and per-diem firefighter in Plumsted, died Thursday.

Continue Reading here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.c...?client=safari

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996

Last edited by SpearMax; 11-26-2016 at 08:00 PM.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Post Re: RIP David Ley - Firefighter Diver On Emerald Dive Charter Passed Thanksgiving 201

Dave had an adenturous spirit for sure.

Read about Dave on his Facebook page.

https://m.facebook.com/dave.ley.5

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161126_195802-724x724.jpg
Views:	2610
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	230133  
Old 11-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #3
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood
Re: RIP David Ley - Firefighter Diver On Emerald Dive Charter Passed Thanksgiving 201

What reason would the original poster take down his thread.I smell something fishy.
Divers need to know the truth and hopefilly we all can learn for this tragic accident.
Even the Dive Boat Operators.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #4
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Lightbulb Re: RIP David Ley - Firefighter Diver On Emerald Dive Charter Passed Thanksgiving 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropMan View Post
What reason would the original poster take down his thread.I smell something fishy.
Divers need to know the truth and hopefilly we all can learn for this tragic accident.
Even the Dive Boat Operators.
The OP did not state a reason for deletion.

I did not see anything unusual on that thread.

Here are my posts on it when we did not know many details:

Quote:
May he rest in eternal peace.

Condolences to his friends and family.

I heard it was probably not an out of air incident since he may have had 2800 psi in his tank when rescued and transported. But, of course, a regulator could fail to deliver air. And there area myriad of possibilities. Maybe more details will emerge that we can all learn from hopefully.

Does anyone know what boat he was on?

Diver Dies 4 miles off Jupiter coast

Scott Sutton 1:20 PM, Nov 24, 2016

PBSO says the diver did not survive their injuries.

--------------

ORIGINAL STORY:

The Jupiter Police Department says a diver was pulled from the water Thanksgiving morning 4 miles off the coast, south of the Jupiter Inlet.

At about 9:53 a.m., police said they were notified by the Coast Guard of a diver in distress at the location.

Three members of the Jupiter Police Department used a marine unit vessel and responded to the area to provide assistance.

When they arrived, officers learned the unresponsive diver had been pulled from the water by a Sea Tow employee.

Police said the officers began lifesaving efforts while aboard the Sea Tow vessel.

The diver was transported to Dubois Park where Palm Beach County Fire Rescue took the diver to St. Mary’s Medical Center in critical condition.

Police said the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission was contacted and responded regarding the incident.

SOURCE

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-n-pa...-jupiter-coast

Quote:
Tom, some media reports he was an out-of-town diver. But, I guess you would be too, so it might be someone known to the Spearboard or Jupiter dive community.

JUPITER, Fla. (CBS News 12) 11-24-16

"The diver has not been identified. He was visiting from out of town."

Quote:
So sad. I just received a phone call with the report below. The loss any life offshore while diving is a time for all of us divers to reflect on what we do and the risks we take.

May we all say a prayer for the fallen diver, his family and all those involved and impacted by this tragedy.

Another charter boat Captain who was offshore today just confirmed the dead diver was on the Emerald Dive Charter boat. He said the the Drama was intense on the radio.

Seas were 5-8 feet and the Emerald could not get the diver back in the boat for around 30 minutes while the other 20 or so Emerald divers were popping up along the dive site. Other fishing and diving boats were trying to help. Maybe that's why Sea Tow was the boat that picked up the dead or dying diver with no pulse and took him to Dubois Park to meet the paramedics
Quote:
Check this explanation at this media link:

"He was pronounced dead at 11:18 a.m., the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s said. An investigation determined the diver had gotten sick and began to struggle once he entered the water, officials said. The captain of the boat tried to assist him but he remained unresponsive, according to authorities."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/lo...z8fMCReTjlgkrM

Last edited by SpearMax; 11-27-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Re: RIP David Ley - Firefighter Diver On Emerald Dive Charter Passed Thanksgiving 201

One thing I did hear which is now verified was that Dave is a large framed man.

Dave wanted to do a shark feeding dive and called another operator. When Dave told that operator something like "I weigh 400 pounds and use 45 pounds of lead weight to get down" that operator declined to take Dave on his shark feeding charter.

We can not speculate on how Dave passed away. I imagine the standard investigation will be conducted and the medical examiner might say the cause of death was downing. Hopefully, the explanation will be more than that so we can all learn from this incident.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
Speargasm

Thanks Tony for keeping the community informed. RIP Dave.

Last edited by Speargasm; 11-27-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Speargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #7
acteg

Sad to hear... 5-8' seas... He must have really wanted to go diving..

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
acteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #8
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Dave Ley memorial

$9,075 of $10k goal - Raised by 193 people in 2 days

https://www.gofundme.com/dave-ley-memorial

Old 11-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
Speargasm

Thanks again Tony for sharing the fund raising. Info.
Speargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Has any one heard from the Captain or the Dive Boat Owner ,I would be nice to hear there story on the accident.Hiding under a rock does nobody any good,
the dive community is always willing to learn to hopefully prevent future accidents.
Seriously.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #11
DIVERTOM

Send a message via AIM to DIVERTOM Send a message via Yahoo to DIVERTOM

I don't think they are hiding under a rock. I don't think Randy subscribes to Spear Board any more since the negatives threads on his shark feeding, so don't expect anything on here from them.
DIVERTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:02 PM   #12
Aqua Nut

Rip,,felow diver,,need less to say I feel the dive boat was negligent for most of it,letting someone float for 30minutes plus,I guess safety and quick response to wasn't the main priority,,,,hopefully ms Tonya," the real boat owner" won't have to take the responsibility
Aqua Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
Baldy

Send a message via MSN to Baldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Nut View Post
Rip,,felow diver,,need less to say I feel the dive boat was negligent for most of it,letting someone float for 30minutes
Not to be disrespectful to the family if they read this but a guy as large as he is reported to be isn't easy to retrieve from the water in 5-8' seas using a dive ladder. Seriously, how would you do that? I would think you'd need a boat with a side dive door.
Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #14
Aqua Nut

That's why it's mandatory to have a deckhand on the boat with the captain,,,I've never seen a deckhand on emerald charts boat
Aqua Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #15
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Nut View Post
That's why it's mandatory to have a deckhand on the boat with the captain,,,I've never seen a deckhand on emerald charts boat
Who says it is mandatory?? The coast guard? You?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote