Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
toptuna

Re: Anyone Know Details About Upside Down Old Airplane in 120 feet South of Breakers?

It's not ww2. It's a piper probably
Old 07-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
toptuna

Re: Anyone Know Details About Upside Down Old Airplane in 120 feet South of Breakers?

Those might be pt6 engines
Old 07-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #18
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Question Re: Anyone Know Details About Upside Down Old Airplane in 120 feet South of Breakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAPL View Post
From the photos, it appears you were referring to the elevator being in the down position since there are no flaps on the tail of the aircraft. It would appear as if the aircraft was in a normal cruise flight configuration when it impacted the water. One could speculate there was power to the engines because the bent blades were not feathered and appear to have been rotating.
I added the following supplemental photos to the first post in this thread. They show the propeller from different angles and the cabin door and the wing in detail.

My understanding from the Helldiver pilot I flew with is that when a propeller is under power in a crash and it hits the water, the blades tend to bend forward as if crawling ahead through the water due to its enabled power. When the plane is without power upon crash, the blades tend to bend backwards as is the case with the Jupiter Helldiver.

Look closely at these pics below and the other ones in post one. I think I see a slight bend forward on only one blade, but I could be wrong. What does everyone think they see?

As for the wing flaps, they appear to my eyes to be straight as in normal fight.

SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #19
toptuna

^ epic prop strike
Old 07-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
toptuna

Tony looks like a Cheyenne. Those planes are hot rods.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #21
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Lightbulb Re: Anyone Know Details About Upside Down Old Airplane in 120 feet South of Breakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Keith View Post
The aircraft is not a Cessna 210.

The engines are "turbines" (which makes this airplane a "turbo-prop") and more specifically Pratt&Whitney PT6. If you google pictures of the PT6engines you will see the signature curved exhaust stacks that protrude aft of the propellers. This is unique to the PT6, they call this "anular or reverse flow" turbine engine. The air intake is below the propeller hub and the airflow moves to the rear of the engine then is directed forward and out into the exhaust stack. These engines are highly reliable powering many single engine turbo-prop aircraft today.

With that in mind these engines were very popular on Beechcraft twin engine turboprop series 90 and 100 and also on the Piper "Cheyene" series aircraft from the 1970's through current day.

It looks like this airplane "ran out of gas" versus "loss of directional control". It is relativley intact which is indicative of a ditching (think USAirways Hudson river landing) versus a high speed loss of directional control which would break the aircraft apart.
Here are some info and images of these planes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_Baron
Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #22
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptuna View Post
Tony looks like a Cheyenne. Those planes are hot rods.
Thanks Brett - Here is data on that plane:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_Cheyenne
Old 07-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #23
toptuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post

i know i washed one friday N400VB lol.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 AM   #24
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Smile Re: Anyone Know Details About Upside Down Old Airplane in 120 feet South of Breakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Keith View Post
The engines are "turbines" (which makes this airplane a "turbo-prop") and more specifically Pratt&Whitney PT6. If you google pictures of the PT6engines you will see the signature curved exhaust stacks that protrude aft of the propellers. This is unique to the PT6, they call this "anular or reverse flow" turbine engine. The air intake is below the propeller hub and the airflow moves to the rear of the engine then is directed forward and out into the exhaust stack. These engines are highly reliable powering many single engine turbo-prop aircraft today.

With that in mind these engines were very popular on Beechcraft twin engine turboprop series 90 and 100 and also on the Piper "Cheyene" series aircraft from the 1970's through current day.

It looks like this airplane "ran out of gas" versus "loss of directional control". It is relativley intact which is indicative of a ditching (think USAirways Hudson river landing) versus a high speed loss of directional control which would break the aircraft apart.
Here is a pic of that PT6 engine with a three blade propeller.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PT6A-27-Engine.jpg
Views:	1061
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	176221  
Old 07-31-2012, 06:25 AM   #25
Speargasm

You take damn nice photos. Thanks for the post.
Speargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #26
hammerhead786

Tony I may know of some numbers for you of an airplane that's got 2 bodies in it (Skeletons). I learned about it from a friend I occasionally fish with. He's certain it's still there and is friends with the guys who originally found it/dove it. They attempted to report it and at the time no one was really interested so they didn't make any attempt to pursue it further. It's in 130'ish. I've been meaning to try and dive this/investigate but I've been way to busy for a while now. I'm betting this thing will have some sweet fish on it. I'll see if I can get some wheels back in motion and verify all that I've heard and let you know what i find out.
hammerhead786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #27
jadairiii

Quote:

Sure not a Cheyenne.
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #28
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Smile Re: Anyone Know Details About Upside Down Old Airplane in 120 feet South of Breakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead786 View Post
Tony I may know of some numbers for you of an airplane that's got 2 bodies in it (Skeletons). I learned about it from a friend I occasionally fish with. He's certain it's still there and is friends with the guys who originally found it/dove it. They attempted to report it and at the time no one was really interested so they didn't make any attempt to pursue it further. It's in 130'ish. I've been meaning to try and dive this/investigate but I've been way to busy for a while now. I'm betting this thing will have some sweet fish on it. I'll see if I can get some wheels back in motion and verify all that I've heard and let you know what i find out.
Sounds good Hammerhead
Old 08-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #29
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Question Re: Anyone Know Details About Upside Down Old Airplane in 120 feet South of Breakers?

Quote:
Have at it folks

Here attached is the NTSB Data query I did with no luck finding this accident (unless I missed it).

I did find the report for the 12-30-1983 accident described in my first post from the Sun Sentinel and have attached those reports.

The NTSB database is at this link:

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/index.aspx
Has anyone been able to find this particular plane in the database?
Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #30
bcakes

That's a Beechcraft King Air. Don't know anything at all about the wreck, but that is the type of plane it looks to be from the photos.
bcakes is offline   Reply With Quote