Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:28 AM   #256
OBLIGATED

Re: Financial/Investments

My crypto has almost doubledCoinbase just went on the market so I threw a in a little over a grand and will see where it goes.
The B.O.A.T has ate up a little over a thousand dollars to get her right.Fuel system and electronics are rebuilt or replaced now.Got an offer for almost double what I have in her.I need to fish a few days first then I will put her up for sale.Striper fishing is hot now and weather is warming up so it will be hard to replace until winter when people dump their boats because they arent using them or to get christmas shopping bills paid.
Been watching a 34ft sailboat thats been on the market a while.If I can get a decent survey and buying price I will probably use it for winter getaway and flip it in a couple years.IF I break even I will consider it a good investment.The B.O.A.T term is true.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #257
OBLIGATED

https://youtu.be/r0HX4a5P8eE

This is an example of what NOT to do!I have a few relatives that keep doing the same thing over and over.Debt to the eyeballs,beg,borrow or steal to pay debt,hide vehicles until repo guy gets them and then go bankrupt.Dont matter if the economy is good or not they ALWAYS dig a financial hole.
Our economy I believe is headed into the crapper AGAIN.Not a good time to have trucks,cars,bikes,tractors and homes financed to the max.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:09 PM   #258
OBLIGATED

Anybody buy DOGE coin crypto currency?Wife and kid are pestering me about it.
I had bought a weed stock a while back that went to crypto mining and robotics.It was in the green on my portfolio screen so I bought more,BTZI is the symbol now.With crypto getting more popular it wont hurt to throw something in and let it ride.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:18 PM   #259
OBLIGATED

Doge coin is still going upWas supposed to be a joke but then again so is the US dollar now.I threw a little more at it.If it doubles I may take half out and let it ride.Doing the same with Coinbase crypto.Its not going to be stupid money but a few bucks here and there coming in helps.
One of my older penny stocks SGMD seems to be on the move too.My oldest son bought a LOT of it.I threw a couple hundred at it.Im frugal and probably kick myself later like I did with Ford,SWPPX,Bitcoin,and PMs.
My Pontoon "investment"sold without being advertised.Another one got an offer tonight.I may be in Night Vision gear before the end of the month!
Old 05-09-2021, 08:19 PM   #260
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

I just can't bring myself to buy digital currency. It's such a high risk...nothing tangible, EMP/internet shut down destroyable, etc... You can at least hold a dollar in your hand, even if it is fiat.
The commodities have been going crazy due to all the money printing. Copper is busting a nut. I got in low with miner TGB and it still has plenty room to run.
Silver is as cheap as it was in 1980, relative to the dollar, is what I understand. It's being held down like a ball under water. Something's got to give. I'm positioned for it.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:57 PM   #261
OBLIGATED

My wife and oldest son kept asking me about the coin and if I had the app to buy.I have the feeling I should have bailed the other night a 70cents.
Right now Im going to wait till it gets me enough profit for my frameless shower door.Ill sell some to pay that and let it ride for a while.The rollercoaster ride isnt something I like but people keep trying to drag me into the modern world.
Have a French Bulldog thats supposed to come in heat this month.She will be carrying Platinum genetics.I may buy into an extra pup from her.The other bitch is going to carry the Fluffy genetics.They are both expensive dogs.
Always worked with my hands building homes,remodeling,flooring etc.Sweat equity in homes remodeled etc.Body wont do it without protesting so Im trying a little of everything.
Im up more than double on Coinbase and the Doge coin is in the green too so far.My buddy got in on Doge at 19 centsGuess I should have moved quicker.
All my 1 oz Gold coins gained 550-600 profit,Silver doubled.Sometimes I win a little.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:06 PM   #262
Marcus

Ahhh...PM miners have been rocking it today. PM's broke thru resistance. Unfortunately, massive fiat printing is the reason...which devalues the dollar. You've probably already noticed the increases in energy/food costs.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 05-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #263
OBLIGATED

My wife helped my nephew set up an account with Schwab.This kid has NOT been good with money.Looks like he is finally tired of being broke and wants to change course.
I had bought a couple penny stocks a few years ago and never really bothered watching them since they were in the red.Evidently SGMD is expanding and price is going up.I would be happy to see it in the black.I would really be happy if it bought me a new 10mm Glock MOS.
Both my oldest son and nephew are dumping some boat/livestock money into the stock.My advice was to drink/smoke/buy lotto tickets less and use that money in a mutual fund.Nobody listens to me until they need a loan/co-signer or tools.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #264
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
I would really be happy if it bought me a new 10mm Glock MOS.
I have been considering a 10mm because I've seen videos shooting 40 S&W out of them and reporting no issues. Have you ever tried this?

I am guessing if you shoot 40S&W thru it frequently, then you'd have to really clean up the chamber to go back to 10mm cartridges. It also seems like some 40 Slow and Weak would have trouble cycling the stiffer 10mm recoil spring.

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #265
Unspearable

I am not sure I understand what you are saying? Do you believe that 40S&W can be shot in a 10MM? THIS CAN NOT BE DONE SAFELY. 10mm, and 40 S&W are based on the cartridge rim as the headspace. Since the 40 S&W is shorter it can not headspace correctly, and should not be loaded into a 10mm chamber. I do not think most firing pins can make contact with the primer when a 40 S&W is in the 10mm chamber, but if it did I don't think it would be a safe experience. I have owned my Gen 1 Glock 20 10mm since 1992, and have had more then 10 Glock 40 S&Ws. All are wonderful firearms. I think the best self defense firearm in a Glock 23 with TLR6. If you want more info, please contact me directly, and I am happy to talk firearms anytime.
Unspearable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:06 PM   #266
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I have been considering a 10mm because I've seen videos shooting 40 S&W out of them and reporting no issues. Have you ever tried this?

I am guessing if you shoot 40S&W thru it frequently, then you'd have to really clean up the chamber to go back to 10mm cartridges. It also seems like some 40 Slow and Weak would have trouble cycling the stiffer 10mm recoil spring.
I have not shot one yet.I wanted a Delta Elite but Glock has the MOS so I can put a reflex sight on it.Should be able to see through NV and it will kill hogs,bear or deer with no issues.
There is a guy on U tube shooting a DW 1911 10mm in Africa for big game.If it kills Capes it will kill a Boar hog.
Palmetto State Armory had the Glock for around 800 on one of their sales.I checked later in the evening and they were sold out.
I have heard different opinions on 40 in a 10mm.I know revolvers can do multiple calibers and some have shot Glocks with 40 ammo.I wouldnt do it.Just me.Buy the brass or save what you shoot and reload on the cheap.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #267
Gary H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspearable View Post
I am not sure I understand what you are saying? Do you believe that 40S&W can be shot in a 10MM? THIS CAN NOT BE DONE SAFELY. 10mm, and 40 S&W are based on the cartridge rim as the headspace. Since the 40 S&W is shorter it can not headspace correctly, and should not be loaded into a 10mm chamber. I do not think most firing pins can make contact with the primer when a 40 S&W is in the 10mm chamber, but if it did I don't think it would be a safe experience. I have owned my Gen 1 Glock 20 10mm since 1992, and have had more then 10 Glock 40 S&Ws. All are wonderful firearms. I think the best self defense firearm in a Glock 23 with TLR6. If you want more info, please contact me directly, and I am happy to talk firearms anytime.
Basically my understanding is the extractor holds the 40 in the rear of the chamber against the breech. The extractor holds it secure enough the firing pin can ignite the primer. I perceive it similar to shooting a 38 in a 357 except you don't have the slide cycle in a wheel gun. That's why I mentioned the heavy 10mm recoil spring. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing people successfully shooting 40's out of a 10mm, but I don't know anyone personally to get long term reliability feedback from. BTW, I am not going to be the person to use my own gun to find out

Old 05-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #268
Unspearable

Gary, I did jump the gun (no pun intended). Yes the 40/10 MM can be used in Revolvers that are chambered as such, but they use a clip to lock into the grove). You are a grown adult, and can make decisions that control the out come of your fingers, hands, and any other body parts that are normally thought of as important. The 40 S&W creates between 32,000-37,000 PSI in a flash (10mm creates close to 40,000 PSI). These numbers look like they would create safe pressures, but believe it or not under pressure can cause dangers also. These are not the gambles in life that I choose to make. At this time the cost between the 2 rounds is not much different so is there a real reason to do this?

I have over 15,000 rounds through my 10mm, and I enjoy shooting it, but its a beast on the best day. If you want to shoot 40 S&W, then get one, and enjoy it.

Just remember sometimes the mouse gets away with the chees, but when he gets it wrong life changes a lot.

As far as the 38 special, and 357 magnum go they use the end of the case to create headspace, and not the case rim, and fit correctly in the 357 magnum chamber (357 mag will not fit in a 38 special only chamber). Just in case I didn't use the correct explanation. the 38/357 have a case that has a T shape, and the 40/10 are straight tubes (the groove is for extraction, or used in revolvers).

I only write this because I really enjoy shooting, and when people get misinformation, and when people get hurt by guns it makes it just a little harder to convince people that this is a safe sport, and not try to take away a very important right. Please shoot safe, and remember the most important safety for a gun is between your ears.
Unspearable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:28 PM   #269
Gary H

Thank you for the feedback. I currently have 2 pistols in 40S&W and plenty of ammo purchased at pre-COVID prices so was intrigued with the idea of options with a new 10mm I don't have any ammo for. Reality is I will not be buying a 10mm unless it is a steal of a deal.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #270
Marcus

Congrats to anyone that bought Ford a year ago. IMO, a good time to sell.