Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

We Lost A Good Friend

It saddens me greatly to have to write this but I wanted to let everyone know that the Tampa Bay spearfishing community lost a very important friend this past weekend. David Shelton of New Port Richey, Florida died early Sunday morning after a 3 week battle with Covid 19.

David was a very healthy and fit 71 year old and was an avid scuba and freedive spearfisherman. He could dive all day long and shoot just as many fish as guys 30 years younger than him. After a lifetime of freediving, his lungs were in great shape and had no underlying health issue or co-morbitity risks that would have made him more likely to die from Covid. In spite of his great overall health, this horrible virus took its toll on his body and Sunday morning December 6th, he lost his battle with Covid.

I made many trips with David over the years and was always impressed with his diving and spearfishing skills. It was always a great joy diving with him and I will really miss that.

For those of you who did not have the privilege of knowing David, as a spearfisherman you may still have benefited from some of his many contributions to the Tampa Bay spearfishing community. David spent countless hours helping to organize many Tampa Bay area spearfishing tournaments over the past 35 years. Some of David's contributions include:

* The 2020 FSDA Southern Open Derby in late September.

* Was instrumental in bringing the Freediving Nationals to Florida.

* Florida Skin Divers Association (FSDA) President

* Suncoast Seals Dive Club President

* New Port Richey Rotary Club President

These are just a few of the tireless and selfless contributions David made to this community. David also built a very successful dental practice in New Port Richey which he retired from a few years back. Ironically, the doctor who tried so valiantly to save is life had also been one of his patients.

Every community needs people who will step in and volunteer their time, efforts, and experience to improve the lives of their fellow citizens. David Shelton was definitely one of those people. I will really miss him and I am very grateful to have had the privilege of knowing him and spearfishing with him. Rest in peace my friend.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 12-14-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:00 PM   #2
Dbrown

Re: We Lost A Good Friend

Dr. David Shelton was a vibrant and kind man. It was a privilege to know him and have the opportunity to dive with him. He was an excellent diver and spearfisherman. He was quick with a smile and with a great fish story as well. He will be missed.

We dove together on October 24th and he was the #1 shooter that day. He plucked off his 61.5# AJ with a gun Kevin had just made just for him. He also nabbed ARS of the day at 12#. Would have never thought that would be his last dive or my last opportunity to see him.

Very sad that COVID has taken David. Kind thought and prayers to his family, his wonderful wife Debbie, and his dive buddy of over 35 years Martin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4361.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	246409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4363.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	246410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4365.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	246411  
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
Marco

I'm so sorry. Very sad...

This is serious sh!t. I had very hard time as well (I'm 55). I'm totally recovered now.

Take care...

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #4
Behslayer

Condolences for your friend. I also lost a friend who was 55, extremely fit, with no pre-existing conditions. Marco, glad you recovered. Do you have any lasting effects with your lungs?
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
grey2112

Very sorry to hear about this. Dave, it looked like he was on top of the world on Oct 24 - hopefully those memories were what he had foremost in his mind at the end.

Guys, life is fatal. You never know what will get you and when. So, with that in mind, get out there and do what you want to do, experience life, have fun, be joyous, and live like today is your last.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Very sorry to hear about this. Dave, it looked like he was on top of the world on Oct 24 - hopefully those memories were what he had foremost in his mind at the end. Guys, life is fatal. You never know what will get you and when. So, with that in mind, get out there and do what you want to do, experience life, have fun, be joyous, and live like today is your last.
Rogers on that Eric. He was on top of the world and had a lot of life ahead of him and that what makes his death so painful for all of us. I always admired David’s passion for diving and spearfishing. That’s what’s so great about this sport, every dive is a new and exciting adventure no matter how many dives you have previously made.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #7
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Condolences for your friend. I also lost a friend who was 55, extremely fit, with no pre-existing conditions. Marco, glad you recovered. Do you have any lasting effects with your lungs?
Hi Jon,

Thanks for asking. I feel totally recovered now. When I was sick, my oxygen saturation dropped to 82% one night and I felt I was diying as I couldn't breath. This was on September 1st. The day before my birthday... I lost 15 pounds (mostly muscle) and couldn't walk 10 steps without fanting.

But as soon as I started feeling better, I started working out little by little. Walking slowly short distances, then faster, swimming and then jogging 10-15 minutes and walking 5. Then started working out in the gym and kept doing cardio. Now I can swim 50 laps and run 50 minutes every other day, and most important, can shoot fish at 85' as I used to. It took me 3 months of hard work to get back in shape.

Sorry for the derrail. This post is about Dave. May he rest in peace.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:21 PM   #8
MeTo

This Sucks!
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #9
Dbrown

Marco, so glad you are feeling better. Truly am. No apologies needed and David would be happy you are back freediving and killing fish down at 85'!! That is amazing.

Eric, it was so close to home. Couldn't let on to you where David was, but now you know. Eric and I are are both Medical and work for the same large health system. I knew David was very well watched over and afforded every medical advance available.

David had made it out of the hospital in mid-November. We were talking via text and he told me, "Good news is we caught it early and pneumonia only attacked one lung. Corona isn't to be taken lightly. Kind of kicked my butt. I'm now improving at home with Debbie. Sure glad it wasn't worse." I was happy that his wife was ok as she's had some medical concerns in the past. David said, "Yes. A prayer was answered there." That's my last exchange with the man. That's how David was. He took care of others. As a Dentist. As a Husband. And as a kind friend. If I was up to dive with his long time dive buddy, also in his seventies, I was told to watch over him. And I did.

I miss David. It is very sad that a few days later he went back into the hospital and was not able to recover.

I'm still overwhelmed thinking of all of this, so thanks for the kind words and thoughts for a really great guy.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:56 PM   #10
jfjf

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #11
Red Tide

Dave was definitely one of the good guys. He has done so much for so many over the years. A successful business leader entrepreneur, Loving husband and a friend to all. He had a great sense of humor. and could find something funny in everything. He also was super amped up about spearfishing. When he shot a great fish you would know it as he would hoot and holler.
We did the first World Cup Spearfishing Tournament in La Paz Mexico together. I remember him screaming like he got bit by a shark when he shot a monster Rooster Fish. We worked our butts off at that tournament and were super stoked to be in the top ten.
After that tournament he talked me into taking over the the FSDA Freedive Chair. He was like here is the baby... I will be back for her.... never. Hahahh!! 10 years later I handed that job off too Bill Vandemen and Matt Bruekner. Dave tough me well
Anyway, It is easy to go on and on about Dave. Such a great guy and such a blow to our spearfishing community.
Cheers to Dave!!
Old 12-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #12
CuzzA

Sad to hear of his passing. While I never met him in person I recognize the generations before us built our sport into what it is today. I hope his family takes solace in the memories and the impact he had on others while on Earth.

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #13
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
It saddens me greatly to have to write this but I wanted to let everyone know that the Tampa Bay spearfishing community lost a very important friend this past weekend. Our good friend David Shelton of New Port Richey, Florida died early Sunday morning after a 3 week battle with Covid 19.

David was a very healthy and fit 71 year old and was an avid scuba and freedive spearfisherman. He could dive all day long and shoot just as many fish as guys 30 years younger than him. After a lifetime of freediving, his lungs were in great shape and had no underlying health issue or co-morbitity risks that would have made him more likely to die from Covid. In spite of his great overall health, this horrible virus took its toll on his body and Sunday morning December 6th, he lost his battle with Covid.

I made many trips with David over the years and was always impressed with his diving and spearfishing skills. It was always a great joy diving with him and I will really miss that.

For those of you who did not have the privilege of knowing David, as a spearfisherman you may still have benefited from some of his many contributions to the Tampa Bay spearfishing community. David spent countless hours helping to organize many Tampa Bay area spearfishing tournaments over the past 35 years. Some of David's contributions include:

* The 2020 FSDA Southern Open Derby in late September.

* Was instrumental in bringing the Freediving Nationals to Florida.

* Florida Skin Divers Association (FSDA) President

* Suncoast Seals Dive Club President

* New Port Richey Rotary Club President

These are just a few of the tireless and selfless contributions David made to this community. David also built a very successful dental practice in New Port Richey which he retired from a few years back. Ironically, the doctor who tried so valiantly to save is life had also been one of his patients.

Every community needs people who will step in and volunteer their time, efforts, and experience to improve the lives of their fellow citizens. David Shelton was definitely one of those people. I will really miss him and I am very grateful to have had the privilege of knowing him and spearfishing with him. Rest in peace my friend.

well said Kevin!
Our community lost a great man who gave far more to our community than he took. He will be missed...
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #14
fishkilla
Slayographer

Send a message via AIM to fishkilla

Rest in peace.