Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Fishizelle

Help setup Jetski

Just got a new 2007 Yamaha FX HO. Took off all the decals and it looks Tuff! Some friends and I are deciding if we are all going to get the same manufacturer of sleds (So we can try and get a group deal) as we will be using them for tow surfing as well. My question is how can I rig the ski for the time being to carry my gear? My fins do not fit in the front storage compartment. I am mainly worried about how and where to put my fins and gun. How do I secure these items to the ski? Searching through the forums on here I have seen guys using the wake board racks from Sea Doo. Will these racks fit on the Yamaha?
Fishizelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Fishizelle

Re: Help setup Jetski

Anyone have any hook ups with a sled manufacturer or dealer? We are looking to buy 3. Any extra tools or tips I should always have on the ski at all times? Thanks.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
JDoe

Talk to Dave (ralphthehalibut).

I am local, you can checkout my Extractor Sled. It is actually on the roof of my suv right now.

Dan at extractor sled is where I got my sled. http://www.extractorsled.com/
You can't beat the customer service and warranty.

Secure your gun by using a bungee around the mirror, put the tip of the gun against the mirror.

I would be more concerned about how you are going to care for your fish without a sled, the last thing you want to do is waste fish.

Some guys use surfboard bags, coolers or kill bags. In a jam, you can put ice in the foot well and put your catch under the ice.

Your fins are another story, I am not familiar with your ski. I do not think that the Sea Doo rack that I use will fit on your ski.

Tools- garden saw (colapsable), plyer (long), long sharp knife.
Equipment/Safety- VHF radio, cell phone, SPOT, Fire extinguisher
JDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
EL TIBURON
Out of Commision!!

heres a link to a cool site that may be of some use to jet ski divers...
http://www.kiwiskidevelopment.com/de...?nc=3099&id=41
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jet%20ski%20603.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	76561   Click image for larger version

Name:	jetski%20006.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	76562   Click image for larger version

Name:	jetski%20014.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	76563   Click image for larger version

Name:	jetski%20015.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	76564  
Old 06-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Diablo Loco

Man, I love that setup. Very impressive. If I had a ski, I'd set it up like that and also put a sled on it like the one FJHIII is showing. There wouldn't be much that you couldn't safely carry.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
Gener
Jet Ski Mafia

Quote:
John, I like how you added these to your "must have tool list" after last weekend.
Gener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
Gener
Jet Ski Mafia

That rack looks like it would take up way to much room on the back of a ski. And for $1200 for the rack. I would much rather buy a sled instead.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Gener's right - the rack is nice, but at that price you can get a sled which has more storage, allows for easier entry and exit into the water, makes the craft more stable, etc - it's just a better option.
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:58 PM   #9
Diablo Loco

If I could afford a $10,000 jetski, then I could afford the rack and the sled. But I don't have the money, so its just wishful thinking on my part

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 AM   #10
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiFreeDiver View Post
Not to mention where do you put the 459 pound marlin.

Or the 400# t-shark, 250#s of WSB, 300# BSB (in mex), etc.

Some sleds have hard attachment points thatg you can actually screw racks into.

Diablo - you don't need 10K to get a killer ski. One of the beautiful things about skis is that so many people buy them, use them once or twice, then just leave them sitting. There are tons of 2-4 year old skis out there with 20 hrs or less on them that sell for 1/2 or less of what they would new. If you take your time and wait for a good deal you can probably find a near new ski and trailer with enough cash left over to buy a used sled for less than 5K
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:53 AM   #11
Smudge
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphthehalibut View Post
Diablo - you don't need 10K to get a killer ski. One of the beautiful things about skis is that so many people buy them, use them once or twice, then just leave them sitting. There are tons of 2-4 year old skis out there with 20 hrs or less on them that sell for 1/2 or less of what they would new. If you take your time and wait for a good deal you can probably find a near new ski and trailer with enough cash left over to buy a used sled for less than 5K

Don't say stuff like that...Wonder how cheap I can get a machine here on the Island?? If I buy a ski, I'm blaming you guys..
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Sebastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by steebies View Post
Just got a new 2007 Yamaha FX HO. Took off all the decals and it looks Tuff! Some friends and I are deciding if we are all going to get the same manufacturer of sleds (So we can try and get a group deal) as we will be using them for tow surfing as well. My question is how can I rig the ski for the time being to carry my gear? My fins do not fit in the front storage compartment. I am mainly worried about how and where to put my fins and gun. How do I secure these items to the ski? Searching through the forums on here I have seen guys using the wake board racks from Sea Doo. Will these racks fit on the Yamaha?

Steebies a long board with bungee cord could work for your gear a small inflatable as well if you can't afford a sled

By the way how did you take off all the frekin stickers? hair dryer or windex???
Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Gener
Jet Ski Mafia

I used a brand new razor blades for the sticker removal. And then diluted some goo gone with water in a spay bottle to take the adhesive off. WD40 will take the adhesive off too, but takes alittle longer. Good Luck!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #14
Fishizelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJHIII View Post
Talk to Dave (ralphthehalibut).

I am local, you can checkout my Extractor Sled. It is actually on the roof of my suv right now.

Dan at extractor sled is where I got my sled. http://www.extractorsled.com/
You can't beat the customer service and warranty.

Secure your gun by using a bungee around the mirror, put the tip of the gun against the mirror.

I would be more concerned about how you are going to care for your fish without a sled, the last thing you want to do is waste fish.

Some guys use surfboard bags, coolers or kill bags. In a jam, you can put ice in the foot well and put your catch under the ice.

Your fins are another story, I am not familiar with your ski. I do not think that the Sea Doo rack that I use will fit on your ski.

Equipment/Safety- VHF radio, cell phone, SPOT, Fire extinguisher
The extractor sled good for tow surfing as well?

I am going to get a kill bag and just strap it to the back for the time being.

What is the garden saw for? I figured long plyers and long knife if things get stuck underneath or around the prop. I got the radio, gps (on order), cell phone, fire extinguisher, whistle and flare gun.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #15
Fishizelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien View Post
Steebies a long board with bungee cord could work for your gear a small inflatable as well if you can't afford a sled

By the way how did you take off all the frekin stickers? hair dryer or windex???

Hair dryer and goo gone/goof off what ever it is called. Heat up the tip of one side start to peal back with the hair dryer in front of the portion you are pealing back to loosen the glue. 1 hour to take every sticker off.