Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-01-2022, 12:17 AM   #16
wiznut

Re: Riffe No Ka Oi Muzzle Flip after adding Neptonics Ballast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroid View Post
That is a lot of overhang on that shaft.
I think so too, but it's the stock shaft length that the gun came with.
wiznut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 03:00 AM   #17
spearq8

Yes that overhang is way too much unless you have a specific reason you want that. Long overhang will only exacerbate low shots and increases shaft oscillation (which reduces accuracy and dissipates shaft velocity quickly). I know Australians like long overhangs for some reason, but in testing the best results in accuracy and velocity retention is minimum overhang.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:04 AM   #18
wiznut

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Yes that overhang is way too much unless you have a specific reason you want that. Long overhang will only exacerbate low shots and increases shaft oscillation (which reduces accuracy and dissipates shaft velocity quickly). I know Australians like long overhangs for some reason, but in testing the best results in accuracy and velocity retention is minimum overhang.
No specific reason. That's just the stock shaft length that the NoKaOi comes with. My guess is that Riffe chose that length shaft to help balance the gun since it has no ballast from the factory, but that's just a guess.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:20 PM   #19
NaClAddict

Push with your off hand and pull slightly with your gun hand to lock it in there tight. This is the best technique to control muzzle flip. Also 30 min of target practice is probably more experience than a whole season of shooting. Practice also eliminates a lot of external variables allowing you to focus on your form and equipment.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:16 AM   #20
spearq8

I agree 100% with NaCl ... you need to know where your shots are going and how your setup is grouping the shots. Just a few shots in a controlled environment can make a huge difference.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:06 PM   #21
Marco

Quote:
That is a lot of overhang on that shaft.
Agree. That could be the main problem.

That could have been the stock shaft YOUR gun came with. more than 15 cm (6") overhang is too much.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #22
wiznut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Agree. That could be the main problem.

That could have been the stock shaft YOUR gun came with. more than 15 cm (6") overhang is too much.
Stepped down to a 55" shaft from the stock 60" and hit the pool today. The 55 inch shaft has 6" of overhang + 6" for the slip tip. Grouping pretty consistently 6-8" low and 3-4 inches right at a target 15' away from the gun grip/trigger. Still far enough to clean miss most things at that distance. Not sure what's left to try at this point other than just learn to compensate for it.
Old 09-05-2022, 10:20 PM   #23
Marco

Should be 6" total.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:55 PM   #24
wiznut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Should be 6" total.
Going to need to track down a 50" shaft for that. Will give it a go.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:08 PM   #25
North Star
Max

How about dumping that gun and purchasing a different brand that shoots straight for you? No factory gun should need that many tweaks to be able to shoot properly.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:23 PM   #26
wiznut

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
How about dumping that gun and purchasing a different brand that shoots straight for you? No factory gun should need that many tweaks to be able to shoot properly.
Trust me, I've thought of doing that! It's bugged me so much though that I don't want to let it beat me! I'll make this thing shoot straight yet!
Old 09-06-2022, 11:53 PM   #27
popgun pete

Rather than sighting along the barrel spearfisherman often judge the travel arc that the spear describes and let the fish swim into it. This is convergent line shooting, your eye line to the fish and the line that the gun is pointing on, but the hit is not necessarily where those lines converge but at a slight deviation from it depending on the range. Few guns have the power to hit after propelling the shaft in a dead straight line out from the gun and they can have a lot of recoil in order to do so. Judgement on the deviation in that flat travel arc comes from practice and observing the effect on horizontal shots as well as downward angled shots. Once you get scoped in on your gun you can pretty well hit anything, but the fish’s swimming velocity still needs to be allowed for in any lead. This is all due to the shaft falling under the influence of gravity once it leaves your gun, the faster it flies the less time it has to fall, but it also has to drag an increasing shooting line length as it goes which adds to drag, so this is why practice with a “standard” set-up is necessary for your calibration.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:31 PM   #28
hydroid

If you have a machine shop handy, you could have those shafts cut and re-threaded just ahead of the muzzle with enough room for the slide ring to clear.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:54 AM   #29
spearq8

I made a 3 part video on Youtube where I go into detail of why some guns shoot low or shoot left, and I also go into how in hundreds of hours of pool testing I managed to find solutions. I must have several hundred emails from gun builders that found those videos extremely useful in their gun design and gun builds. If you look at all the new guns being built today on Instagram you will see that most are using some or all of the data that is in those videos. You will find a lot of the answers to some of the questions you have about why your gun is shooting poorly.

Here is the first part

Old 09-08-2022, 09:48 PM   #30
wiznut

Quote:
If you have a machine shop handy, you could have those shafts cut and re-threaded just ahead of the muzzle with enough room for the slide ring to clear.
A machine shop.... or a jerry rigged shaft cutter and adjustable die / home made die guide to get it straight. Hopped in the pool today and the group is down to 4" low and 2 inches right @ 15'.

Next step based on spearq8's feedback is trying a custom grip. In recent videos I've done in the pool, there is a clockwise rotation of the gun on the shot. I think a grip similar to that in the video will definitely help control that roll in the gun.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220908_101804.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	248457