Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:19 AM   #1
Homestead_Dad

St. Pete late July

I will be in St. Pete the last week of July with my family. I am the only diver and I’m looking for spots to take my family that would be suitable for some newbie free divers but provide some spear fishing opportunities and possibly a lobster or two.

I’m not asking for your secret spots but there has to be some fairly well known locations some of you are willing to share with a Louisiana boy. I’m just looking for somewhere I can dive with my kids and let them get a few fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homestead_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #2
captadam123

Re: St. Pete late July

Lobster is not going to be an option unless you get extremely luck. Unless you are comfortable out to about 50ft visibility will be challenging.
captadam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:03 PM   #3
Homestead_Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by captadam123 View Post
Lobster is not going to be an option unless you get extremely luck. Unless you are comfortable out to about 50ft visibility will be challenging.

Is visibility bad there that time of year or generally bad? Now I’m thinking maybe just go to Miami area.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:32 AM   #4
sharpshooter

Quote:
I was born and raised here. I agree with Adam. The Goliath grouper population has really taken off. Those giant vacuum cleaners have taken a toll on the lobster population in this area. Some have associated divers spearing as providing a easy meal. They will hang behind you waiting for you to shoot a fish and then dart in taking your fish and shaft. Mainly on wrecks and big ledges.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:35 AM   #5
captadam123

It depends on how much rain we get and the wind. Last week we had less than 15ft of vis all the way out to 60ft
captadam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:54 PM   #6
Homestead_Dad

Quote:
It depends on how much rain we get and the wind. Last week we had less than 15ft of vis all the way out to 60ft

Thanks for the info

Old 06-29-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
Homestead_Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
I was born and raised here. I agree with Adam. The Goliath grouper population has really taken off. Those giant vacuum cleaners have taken a toll on the lobster population in this area. Some have associated divers spearing as providing a easy meal. They will hang behind you waiting for you to shoot a fish and then dart in taking your fish and shaft. Mainly on wrecks and big ledges.

Thanks for the info, looks like I need to change the destination which is sad because we really wanted to explore the Tampa area but fishing and snorkeling/diving is the #1 priority and it looks like St. Pete isn’t a great destination for that. Looking at Jupiter/Palm Beach now.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:12 PM   #8
heybuddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestead_Dad View Post
Thanks for the info, looks like I need to change the destination which is sad because we really wanted to explore the Tampa area but fishing and snorkeling/diving is the #1 priority and it looks like St. Pete isn’t a great destination for that. Looking at Jupiter/Palm Beach now.

Fishing is great here and diving/shooting fish is great as well. But you won’t likely find lobsters here with your family as mentioned above. There are a few shallow reefs in 20-25’ out of treasure island and clearwater where there should be plenty of fish. That said, I would recommend the keys if you’re looking for beautiful water and easy lobster/spearfishing for the family. Viz isn’t great in this area of the gulf for most of the year around here, and greatly depends on the storms in the summer time.
heybuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:26 AM   #9
Homestead_Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybuddies View Post
Fishing is great here and diving/shooting fish is great as well. But you won’t likely find lobsters here with your family as mentioned above. There are a few shallow reefs in 20-25’ out of treasure island and clearwater where there should be plenty of fish. That said, I would recommend the keys if you’re looking for beautiful water and easy lobster/spearfishing for the family. Viz isn’t great in this area of the gulf for most of the year around here, and greatly depends on the storms in the summer time.

Well, red tide changed our plans anyways, headed to Delray instead. I wish you guys the best and as much as I am looking forward to exploring the east coast of Florida for the first time it saddens me that Tampa Bay is suffering like this. Keeping the whole area in my prayers, may they find some solution to this. Thanks for the help, hopefully one day I’ll be able to return the favor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk