Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
gmcbraye

Dive R Blade Installation

Looking for help from anyone that has experience installing Dive R blades into Omer footpockets. I noticed that the Dive R blades have a larger tapered end than the stock Omer blades and it prevents them from sliding as deep into the Omer pockets. How far must they be inserted into the footpocket and has anyone tried trimming the Dive R blades to match an Omer insert? I've read that Dive R blades will fit in Omer pockets no problem, but they are significantly different size so I want to see what everyone else has done. If anyone has close up pictures of the footpocket and blade that would be great to see. Definitely don't want to ruin them by trying to trim them to size.
Thanks for the help,
-Glen
gmcbraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Bear Down
FÖKAI Fo Lyfe

Re: Dive R Blade Installation

Maybe jolinedaniel can help. He's a HUGE Dive R fan.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Ryfish

What kind omer pockets do you have? My friends have the omer stingray pockets and the diveR blades fit in them fine.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
gmcbraye

I have Omer Milleniums. I can get the Dive R blades in them, but it just seems like they are not going in as far as they should. Thx.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
phil herranen

They work fine how they fit stock , but if you trim the blades with a grinder to the shape of the plastic blades they will go about a inch further into the pocket
Phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
gmcbraye

Thanks Phil. Thats exactly what I was thinking but I was afraid to trim the blades before checking with someone else. Will a bench grinder work or would you use a belt grinder?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcbraye View Post
Thanks Phil. Thats exactly what I was thinking but I was afraid to trim the blades before checking with someone else. Will a bench grinder work or would you use a belt grinder?
I use a hand grinder with a cut off wheel . I'm sure a bench grinder will work just go slow and don't let it slip between the rest and the wheel
Phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
gmcbraye

I've got an angle grinder and some abrasive disks so maybe I'll use that to remove most of the material and then touch it up with the bench grinder. I was hoping you would say that I needed to use a belt grinder so I could go buy one! Thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Moana Waterman

The best, but more time consuming way is to cut a template using a router and then cut the blades to fit the template.. Use a router table, a straight bit with a roller guide on the tip. Since the thickness of the blade at the pocket end is relatively uniform, it's easy to put the blade on the bottom and the template on the top. Good luck!

An easy way is a big belt sander.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
gmcbraye

I like the router table idea. That seems like it would be pretty clean. Since I have that set up in my garage already, I might give that a try. Any suggestions on how to attach the template to the blade? I suppose a temporary adhesive might work (or strong double sided tape). But clamping would make it difficult to run the assembly over the router table. Any ideas? thx.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
Castronova
The Conch Republic

As Phil said, without grinding up your DiveR's they work just fine so why would you want to go and do that?

I have 4 friends with DiveR's in Omer pockets and none have had to make any modification. I just don't see why you would if you didn't have to.

$.02
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
Spineshot

I agree with Castronova. I have Omer foot pockets and assembled them myself without modifying the blade. I did drill my own holes, but I think that was because I ordered different foot pockets to choose from and sent back the pockets I didn't like.

I know Omer has different style pockets, and they've changed them over the years. Mine are 2 years old and might not be the same as yours, so I would hate to advise you on exactly what to do in your situation.

Before you start grinding $400 fins (or not) based on the advise of a bunch of guys here on spearboard (with the best of intentions) who can't see your exact situation, I would suggest contacting an expert like Dennis Haussler. He sells the fins through http://www.20fathoms.com, and should be able to help you decide what to do...

From the 20 Fathoms website:
Dennis Haussler
650-369-5896 Business
650-400-2631 Cell
Email Dennis@20Fathoms.com

Be sure you know what you're getting into before you ruin those expensive fins.

Last edited by Spineshot; 01-10-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Spineshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
Moana Waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcbraye View Post
I like the router table idea. That seems like it would be pretty clean. Since I have that set up in my garage already, I might give that a try. Any suggestions on how to attach the template to the blade? I suppose a temporary adhesive might work (or strong double sided tape). But clamping would make it difficult to run the assembly over the router table. Any ideas? thx.
Per posts above, I had some DiveRs in Omer pockets and they worked fine, so not convinced you need to mess with it. However, if they fit deeper in the pocket, the angle will sit in the right place.....your call!

As for your router comments, Indeed! Double sided tape....painters tape works the best. Because you are applying hand pressure downward on the template, it's very much slip free. I've done a few templates this way and it worked really well. Again, a lot of work for a little trim job, but for sure you end up symmetric and exact.

Last edited by Moana Waterman; 01-10-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Additional pertinent info
Moana Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
gmcbraye

I'll give Dennis a shout and see what he thinks. Maybe it's the engineer in me, but the fact that they are expensive blades makes me want to make them fit perfectly to my foot pockets. As JD said, if the blades don't get trimmed to fit all the way down into the pockets (about an inch more than they can untrimmed), the blade angle is not in the right place. The end of the foot pockets (where the mounting screws are) should hang over the bend slightly as they do on stock OMER fin blades. As such, the screw holes should be after the blade makes it's bend. I agree that I could just stuff them in and take advantage of the pocket rubber compliance, but it will bug me every time I look at them if I don't make them fit perfect. I spent the money, so why not take the time to do it the best I can. I realize others may consider this a bit obsessive to do this, but I can't help it... Besides, neither grinding nor template cutting with a router would take much time for me at all. I've got my router table set up already for a gun I'm building.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #15
aussie

Will take a pic to show you mine. Out of curiosity, what size feet do you have?