Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Spearfishing Regulations

Spearfishing Regulations This area is for the topic of existing or proposed Spearfishing Regulations.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
RichT

Goliath Grouper Stock Assessment This Month!

Goliath Grouper (jewfish) stock assessment

The first and most important phase of the South East United States Goliath Grouper stock assessment will be performed this month April 27-29th in St. Petersburg, Florida for anyone interested in attending or following the events. http://www.sefsc.noaa.gov/sedar/Seda...WorkshopNum=23
And yes, the dates are incorrect on the SEFSC website.
The assessment was moved up a couple of years due to public demand (I believe).
I’m personally not real happy about this due to the fact that there are still several ongoing Goliath projects as well as a ton of data that’s yet to be compiled and analyzed but certainly, a lot has been done since the last assessment.

I am fortunate enough to be an invited panel member and I think it’s important to let as many interested stakeholders as possible know what is going on and I will try post info about the assessment to numerous message boards like this one.
I may even record and/or broadcast the meetings if possible.

I’m really not sure what to expect from this one but I know from past experience that Goliath grouper is one of the most emotionally charged subjects you could discuss with many people including several scientists.
It’s my hope that everyone can keep personal emotions out of the mix and focus on the facts (good and/or bad) in order to get as accurate a picture of the fishery as possible.

I’m aware that many people couldn’t care less about Goliath grouper right now simply for the fact that there are so many seemingly larger issues regarding access to our fisheries, but hey, it is what it is…

Standing by
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goliathgrouper1.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	125194  
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
popeal

Re: Goliath Grouper Stock Assessment This Month!

What is at stake and what are the ramifications of these assessments?
How do they approximate the population?
popeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeal View Post
What is at stake and what are the ramifications of these assessments?
How do they approximate the population?
Excellent questions!
These assessments are used to determine needed management measures which may allow opening up the population to some form of harvest. Conversely, It could also show that the population will never be able to withstand any sort of harvest no matter how long the moratorium is in place.

To answer your second question, I suppose they will use whatever data is available including video, tagging studies, fish kills, fish counts, and host of other non fishery dependent methods.
IMO, It is difficult to determine what a population is like without fishery dependent data and there has been almost no such data from Florida and the SE U.S. in over 20 years so it should be pretty interesting to see how they do it.

BTW... these proceedings are open to the public and public input will be accepted.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Cool Re: Goliath Grouper Stock Assessment This Month!

Should be interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT View Post
Goliath Grouper (jewfish) stock assessment

The first and most important phase of the South East United States Goliath Grouper stock assessment will be performed this month April 27-29th in St. Petersburg, Florida for anyone interested in attending or following the events. http://www.sefsc.noaa.gov/sedar/Seda...WorkshopNum=23
And yes, the dates are incorrect on the SEFSC website.
The assessment was moved up a couple of years due to public demand (I believe).
I’m personally not real happy about this due to the fact that there are still several ongoing Goliath projects as well as a ton of data that’s yet to be compiled and analyzed but certainly, a lot has been done since the last assessment.

I am fortunate enough to be an invited panel member and I think it’s important to let as many interested stakeholders as possible know what is going on and I will try post info about the assessment to numerous message boards like this one.
I may even record and/or broadcast the meetings if possible.

I’m really not sure what to expect from this one but I know from past experience that Goliath grouper is one of the most emotionally charged subjects you could discuss with many people including several scientists.
It’s my hope that everyone can keep personal emotions out of the mix and focus on the facts (good and/or bad) in order to get as accurate a picture of the fishery as possible.

I’m aware that many people couldn’t care less about Goliath grouper right now simply for the fact that there are so many seemingly larger issues regarding access to our fisheries, but hey, it is what it is…

Standing by

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
popeal

Lightbulb Re: Goliath Grouper Stock Assessment This Month!

Quote:
Excellent questions!
These assessments are used to determine needed management measures which may allow opening up the population to some form of harvest. Conversely, It could also show that the population will never be able to withstand any sort of harvest no matter how long the moratorium is in place.

To answer your second question, I suppose they will use whatever data is available including video, tagging studies, fish kills, fish counts, and host of other non fishery dependent methods.
IMO, It is difficult to determine what a population is like without fishery dependent data and there has been almost no such data from Florida and the SE U.S. in over 20 years so it should be pretty interesting to see how they do it.

BTW... these proceedings are open to the public and public input will be accepted.
Thanks Rich!
popeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
RichT

I am broadcasting from the Goliath meeting now.
Thefra.org
http://thefra.org/fisheyewide.htm
Old 04-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Smile Re: Goliath Grouper Stock Assessment This Month!

Quote:
I am broadcasting from the Goliath meeting now.
Thefra.org
http://thefra.org/fisheyewide.htm
Thanks Rich!

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
RichT

breaking into workgroups so going off air.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Talking Re: Goliath Grouper Stock Assessment This Month!

Quote:
breaking into workgroups so going off air.
Is the part where the "secret back-room GG deals" are cut?

Do you have a "hidden" camera Rich like in a baseball cap or briefcase?

Just kidding!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
STITCH
ICU Nurse

They must have found out RichT was filming them and now are holding him captive.
STITCH is offline   Reply With Quote