Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
svivian

St Anna Maria island

Hey I'm new to the forum but long time lurker. I'm traveling to St Anna Maria Island for a week and was looking for some advice on dive spots and maybe some spearfishing. I saw something about the Spanish rocks and plan on diving that. Is there any other interesting places to dive for recreation or spearfishing charters I should look at? Thanks!
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #2
byrd

Re: St Anna Maria island

I little north of there is the natural gas pipeline that a lot of us spearfish. It is on your GPS. Anywhere outside the channel markers from 40'-100' can hold fish.
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
svivian

Thanks for the tip! I'm taking a charter one day and shore diving the rest on a paddle board so I'm just looking to shoot enough for dinner each night lol.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by svivian View Post
Thanks for the tip! I'm taking a charter one day and shore diving the rest on a paddle board so I'm just looking to shoot enough for dinner each night lol.
Look up the near shore reef public numbers on Manatee County website. That's your best bet from a paddle board. You'll need to study up on where you can launch it from with your spear gear. You might have an issue launching from public swimming beach.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

Search this forum for Megaladon .

http://www.amisland.com/best-place-t...on-anna-maria/
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:15 PM   #6
svivian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Look up the near shore reef public numbers on Manatee County website. That's your best bet from a paddle board. You'll need to study up on where you can launch it from with your spear gear. You might have an issue launching from public swimming beach.
As long as I'm 100 yards off a swim beach I should be ok though correct?
Old 04-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
Marcus

Quote:
As long as I'm 100 yards off a swim beach I should be ok though correct?
I don't believe you're allowed the speargun on the swimming beach. Check the regs.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 04-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
DNAPL

Quote:
Hey I'm new to the forum but long time lurker. I'm traveling to St Anna Maria Island for a week and was looking for some advice on dive spots and maybe some spearfishing. I saw something about the Spanish rocks and plan on diving that. Is there any other interesting places to dive for recreation or spearfishing charters I should look at? Thanks!
Sat. view & bearing for Spanish Rocks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Spanish Rocks Satellite.pdf (127.2 KB, 152 views)
DNAPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
svivian

Thanks for all the info guys! I'll look into the regs and make sure about swim beaches.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
Marcus

IMO, Spanish Rocks would be a good practice run to some place that you could spear some fish. Get your gear in order. I'd recommend having ruler, regs, and cooler on board to ice the fish. Not such an easy task while traveling. The only white meat that would still be tasty with no cooler would be hogfish....maybe a cobia if they're in season. I've shot quite a few cobia right off the beaches. The run has already come through but there's occasional stray's about.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
Marcus

Actually, an iced insulated fish bag would work great on a board.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:35 PM   #12
svivian

I have friends who rented a house right on the beach so Ice and coolers won't be an issue. Also I only plan to shoot what we can eat while we are there so it doesn't go to waste.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #13
Marcus

Snapper will be fishy by the time you cook it...just sayin'.