Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:15 AM   #1
sharpshooter

Thanks to Team Headhunter

Just wanted to give a shout out for all your December MG videos on utube.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:44 PM   #2
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte
Re: Thanks to Team Headhunter

I look for new videos every day from Dan, Kenny, and the rest. YouTube steers me to other spearfishing videos but none compare. I watch these divers and even though I have never been that good, Dan gets the Olympic Gold in my book. There is never, almost ever, a wasted motion in his hunting skills.

I’ve never met Dan MacMahon, but once at the St Pete open he was pointed out to me by Ray Odor. That was about 20 years ago. A opportunity missed.
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:53 AM   #3
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Hey guys, glad you're enjoying the December videos. Sad to say, the weather and visibility haven't cooperated for any January trips.
Thanks for the kind words Gary. Ray was def one of a kind and I think of him often.
I'll be retiring from commercial spearing later this year. I started spearfishing in '72, so it's been 50 years this year (don't know how that's possible).
It's been a great, amazing ride...am grateful and would do it all over again if I had the chance.
I'm planning on posting a video this weekend and will be posting new stuff when we get a chance to get offshore.
Dan

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:35 PM   #4
sharpshooter

At least we will see some videos this year. Will your boat and crew still be running commercial?
Old 02-02-2022, 04:42 PM   #5
dive4bugz

Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz

Having met Dan at 1 of the BBO tournaments, I can tell you hes a great guy, and tells some amazing stories. I have learned a lot from his videos...
Old 02-02-2022, 06:16 PM   #6
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
Hey guys, glad you're enjoying the December videos. Sad to say, the weather and visibility haven't cooperated for any January trips.
Thanks for the kind words Gary. Ray was def one of a kind and I think of him often.
I'll be retiring from commercial spearing later this year. I started spearfishing in '72, so it's been 50 years this year (don't know how that's possible).
It's been a great, amazing ride...am grateful and would do it all over again if I had the chance.
I'm planning on posting a video this weekend and will be posting new stuff when we get a chance to get offshore.
Dan
Wow Dan, you have had one hell of a commercial diving career and we all wish you a great and relaxing retirement. Your legacy and your videos have been a great inspiration to all of us and we have all learned a lot watching you shoot. The seminars we did together were extremely popular and hopefully we can find time to do a few more when you are not tied to your fishing business.

I distinctly remember sitting in the audience at the seminars while you were playing your videos and you providing a verbal description of what was going on. You could literally hear a pin drop during your entire presentation! I have always told you that you are a great public speaker and an incredible story teller. I sincerely hope you can find the time to do more in person presentations. Your YouTube videos are incredibly popular and I hope you can continue to build the content on your channel.

Congratulations on a retirement well deserved!

KB

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 02-03-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:30 PM   #7
Dbrown

Best of luck to you Dan!
Very glad to know you and to have had the opportunity to,learn from you.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 08:52 PM   #8
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
Wow Dan, you have had one hell of a commercial diving career and we all wish you a great and relaxing retirement. Your legacy and your videos have been a great inspiration to all of us and we have all learned a lot watching you shoot. The seminars we did together were extremely popular and hopefully we can find time to do a few more when you are not tied to your fishing business.

I distinctly remember sitting in the audience at the seminars while you were playing your videos and you providing a verbal description of what was going on. You could literally hear a pin drop during your entire presentation! I have always told you that you are a great public speaker and an incredible story teller. I sincerely hope you can find the time to do more in person presentations. Your YouTube videos are incredibly popular and I hope you can continue to build the content on your channel.

Congratulations on a retirement well deserved!

KB
I concur. Please keep conveying your experiences. They are VERY noteworthy. It gives people a window into one of the most dangerous occupations. I can't imagine how you couldn't make money by retelling such. You did it, you survived, tell the story, make money. Documentary?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:36 AM   #9
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Thanks Kevin, I'm sure I would enjoy speaking about anything related to Spearfishing. That's a lifetime thing. And BTW I'll always be grateful to you for inventing the "Commercial Muzzle". One of my favorite pieces of Spearing gear for sure!

Old 02-06-2022, 09:38 AM   #10
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dive4bugz View Post
Having met Dan at 1 of the BBO tournaments, I can tell you hes a great guy, and tells some amazing stories. I have learned a lot from his videos...
Thank you D4B, makes my day to hear that...

Old 02-06-2022, 09:39 AM   #11
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Best of luck to you Dan!
Very glad to know you and to have had the opportunity to,learn from you.
Thanks David, I've enjoyed speaking to and watching your videos as well.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #12
jfjf

Retiring.... who is going to make videos for us?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:56 PM   #13
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
Thanks Kevin, I'm sure I would enjoy speaking about anything related to Spearfishing. That's a lifetime thing. And BTW I'll always be grateful to you for inventing the "Commercial Muzzle". One of my favorite pieces of Spearing gear for sure!
Well that's good to hear about the speaking.....we gotta find a way to you in front of an audience in the near future.

As for the Muzzle.....you are quite welcome. That Muzzle really made a huge difference in my Commercial shooting as well. Its not often a single piece of equipment can make such a huge difference in the shooting proficiency of spearfisherman as skilled as you and your HeadHunter crew. I am humbled to say the least.

The only reason(s) I stopped producing that muzzle was:
(1) The cost to produce them was very high as they were machine milled not injection molded.
(2) The time required to install them was way too high to ever produce them efficiently in larger quantities as they installed into a flat/mortise and tenon joint.

Every now and then one of those original Commercial guns will pop up for sale on the open market. Sometimes I get one on trade in and it usually get snapped up immediately as there is a bit of a collector market for them, (especially the Teak ones).

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:11 AM   #14
sharpshooter

Enjoyed your new February Middle Grounds 24 video on utube.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:14 PM   #15
Rowdy

Never met you. Love your videos. You could probably make a comfortable retirement check teaching seminars just on your videos.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote