Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
GillBilly

Please HELP....read this Stuck in freeport!!!!

Anyone...... i posted a thread on here about 2 weeks ago about a trip that my brother,friends an I were going to take to bahamas for his bach party. long story short i couldnt make it because of work so he took off with 4 of his friends and made the trip. Sunday aboout 1 hour into the trip home (freeport to WPB) the lower unit to a shit (2009 350hp etec). he got towed in to shallow water where he had to sleep on the baot through the storms that we all just experienced. and monday morning his other friends hopped on a plane for florida. NOW he is alone and stranded!!!! does anyone know anyone in freeport that can help??? is anyone in freeport that can HELP? please im turning to my dive community for help. if not i will be on a plane there within 48hrs to help my brother cause that what family does.
i have a seatow membership they dont tow through internationl WATERS (direct quote) i do have a boat my self but its a 1998 and i just bought it and have only ran it up and down the stluice river 3 miles and back under 3hrs of use.
GillBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
PressureDro

Re: Please HELP....read this Stuck in freeport!!!!

Bahamas Sailing Association
1 242 677 1920

Contact those guys, ask to speak to Jimmie Lowe, Lori Lowe, Fernando de Cardenas or John Dunkley. They have a sailing program in Freeport and are great people, willing to go above and beyond to help any stranded or disabled seamen. Tell them Brendan Greif referenced you and see if there is anything they can do to help. Please let me know what they say if you decide to contact them.

Good luck
PressureDro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Lazy Bones

If he's n Freeport, he's not standed. Get the boat to a dock and get it fixed. Fly back if necessary w/ the LU, fix it, fly back or jump on a boat (look on FS under SE or Tropical forums.) Boat US has a branch in Freeport (or West End) I believe, try them. There may be a ETEC guy in Freeport, it's a pretty big area by Bahaman standards. At least you weren't in Grand.

Call Bombadere and ask if they have a guy there, should still be under warentee.
Lazy Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFfwc View Post
Anyone...... i posted a thread on here about 2 weeks ago about a trip that my brother,friends an I were going to take to bahamas for his bach party. long story short i couldnt make it because of work so he took off with 4 of his friends and made the trip. Sunday aboout 1 hour into the trip home (freeport to WPB) the lower unit to a shit (2009 350hp etec). he got towed in to shallow water where he had to sleep on the baot through the storms that we all just experienced. and monday morning his other friends hopped on a plane for florida. NOW he is alone and stranded!!!! does anyone know anyone in freeport that can help??? is anyone in freeport that can HELP? please im turning to my dive community for help. if not i will be on a plane there within 48hrs to help my brother cause that what family does.
i have a seatow membership they dont tow through internationl WATERS (direct quote) i do have a boat my self but its a 1998 and i just bought it and have only ran it up and down the stluice river 3 miles and back under 3hrs of use.
Sorry to hear that, This is y I have Tow Boat US , they will come and get
you in he Bahamas .If I had the time I would help , someone with a boat
should be of help soon,good luck.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
GillBilly

OK i have called for parts and get this. the motor is to new no one has parts WTF!!!!!!!! how is that possible to build a motor and not distribute parts?? call etec. no "certified mech" in bahamas. i can fly the lower unit back but have to pay taxes on it each way it flys. but better then $3,000.00 to tow it back. also no warranty on the lower unit if operator error. (which it was)
from what he describes it needs a complete new lower unit i think he struck a corral head

Is there anyone in freeport now that can meet him or at least put him up a night if needed, as i hear it another front is moving in quickly there.??????

thank you all for your input and comments please keep posting wiht any new ideas?
GillBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
#1 shaft

Steve Mac adoo is their now he might help call him up. He is their with his 42ft livaboard. here is the # 941-809-3554. he is in the area not sure were he is at today
#1 shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1 shaft View Post
Steve Mac adoo is their now he might help call him up. He is their with his 42ft livaboard. here is the # 941-809-3554. he is in the area not sure were he is at today
Not only is Steve there, but he has spent much of his life working on peoples boats, He is Very knowledgeable
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Lazy Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFfwc View Post
i can fly the lower unit back but have to pay taxes on it each way it flys. but better then $3,000.00 to tow it back.
Why woudl you have to pay taxes on it coming home? I never have to pay taxes on stuff that I already own, that I have already paid taxes on when I come home from the Bahamas?

Paying import taxes on it when you return to the Bahamas is another story. Have your stateside mechanic juke the reciept.

Is he still anchored? Just pay a bahamian or Tow Boat US to take you to Lucaya - planty of slips, you can leave the boat and get it fixed. Sounds like the biggest hurdle will be finding parts. If they don't have them here, they are unlikely to have them there.

I'd get the LU home, either by having the whole boat towed back or get on a plane/boat. You can go back and forth pretty cheap on that rinky dink cruise boat out of FTL.
Lazy Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
B Lang

Been there before, he has two options, get a tow back to FL or fly a new LU over there. Parts may not be available for the new motor yet but check with the dealer who sold him the motor here and see if he can find a client who has recently purchased the same motor and would be willing to let him borrow a LU to get them home. If he does find one, you owe the dealer for a long time being he went above and beyond to help you out. Hope it works out for you guys. SteveMC is down the Abaco chain quite aways. Last report on another thread his guys flew from Treasure Cay which is 100 miles via Lucayan waterway.
B Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
#1 shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Lang View Post
Been there before, he has two options, get a tow back to FL or fly a new LU over there. Parts may not be available for the new motor yet but check with the dealer who sold him the motor here and see if he can find a client who has recently purchased the same motor and would be willing to let him borrow a LU to get them home. If he does find one, you owe the dealer for a long time being he went above and beyond to help you out. Hope it works out for you guys. SteveMC is down the Abaco chain quite aways. Last report on another thread his guys flew from Treasure Cay which is 100 miles via Lucayan waterway.
Sorry dont know the area that well
#1 shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Ryfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1 shaft View Post
I just talked to Steve yesterday and he is near Treasure Cay. I did a week long trip with him and had a blast and yes he knows boats. But he is a long way from where you are.
Ryfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
Gator

Years ago I lost a LU while in West End. I thought it was the end of the world....but those Bahamians live on boats so they know engines!
I asked around and some guy scrounged up a used LU and backed my boat up to a beach and changed it out for me. Back in business in a few hours total.

The guy from Bootle Bay (hotel) facilitated the whole thing for me.

But with a 2009 Etec....don't think you would find one that easy.

Point is: just keep asking around.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
ameliahunter

did you run that far with one engine? I thought I was being risky running 25 miles out with my one 150. Good luck that must be a tough situation. maybe buy a 2nd engine and get it mounted fix the old one back home =). Either way sounds like your buddy is out a lot of cash.
ameliahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
tightlines
tightlines

Call Nick's Creative Marina. Nick is a great guy and travels alot to Freeport. The shop#561 844 4555. Good luck!
tightlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #15
dive4bugz

Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz

Hey man I would call Seatow again... their membership specifically states that they will tow within 75 miles of coastal FL, not including the Bahama Bank... a direct quote from them before I bought mine. Of course, if Freeport is further than 75 miles, yer sorta SOL on that... you could also call Bombardier and see if they can drop-ship a LU for you, if they agree to warranty it. Offering to pay their shipping might help sweeten the pot a bit as well...