Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #46
Ryfish

Re: Carbon Fin Reviews

Good reviews. I have been a die hard DiveR fiberglass blades user for 5 years and even broke a blade and FF covered me and sent a whole new set. So I deff got my use out of them, and have been happy with them. But I have used buddies Moana's with pathos pockets and couldn't believe the difference in weight. Also the performance the with the Moana seemed "snappier" and more responsive for sure. I would like to try the bluetecs with the pathos pockets also after reading this thread.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #47
AlexbeeintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfish View Post
I would like to try the bluetecs with the pathos pockets also after reading this thread.
You're telling me!
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #48
jstiver09

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedivingfool View Post
Oh I sold my Deep Apnea fins, as I think they were too fragile for the reef diving here. The Fin edges would chip off constantly and I would have to sand it down a lot to prevent chipping and very sharp edges. Other than that they were great fins but not as good as the Bleutec's!!

I can definitely see how the tips of the DA's can be vulnerable to chipping. Do you think there is a way to epoxy a strip of something folded over the tip, or somehow build some epoxy on the edge to protect them somehow. I have babied mine in the 10 or so dives thus far and don't want to chip them. Also, do the DA's 5 year warranty cover those chips?
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #49
freedivingfool
JOIN OUR DIVE CLUB!

Honestly I think it should but i'm not sure as you would have to contact he Deep Apnea staff those guys would give you an answer, I do think it is a flaw how the tip has minimal epoxy or resin on the Tip.

As the Carbon/Kevlar, those I have not experience with but they are more resistant to the small contacts with the reef and such!

The Bleutec's in Pathos pockets are super light and once you molded the foot pockets to your feet, it's like wearing Vibram five fingers on your feet super comfortable and I love hearing the carbon snapping sound from my Bleutec's coming up from a dive.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:19 AM   #50
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

here's how my list goes for carbons/high end fins best to worst
subcraft
bleutec
omer rekords
specialfis hybrid professionals
some diveR clone in plain 100% carbon
leaderfins

1st and second place are really really close, have only had the subcrafts a few weeks so im not even really that sure if they are better but have been diving super hard in mexico and hawaii since I got them. I'm diving somewhat deep and swimming like a mofo here in hawaii too lol. Had to ditch the bleutecs when my girlfriend ran over my dive bag and one of the fins were stacked on edge

the biggest suprise was the omer rekords I found in a clearance barrel at a scuba shop in NZ, paid like 130$ american for the blades and they were damn good, for the money i spent they were the best lol.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #51
David Deman
twentytwomonk

Send a message via Yahoo to David Deman

Josh, which model of Rekords were they, do you know?
David Deman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #52
freedivingfool
JOIN OUR DIVE CLUB!

[quote="Yard-Sale Josh";1965312]here's how my list goes for carbons/high end fins best to worst
subcraft
bleutec
omer rekords
leaderfins

1st and second place are really really close, have only had the subcrafts a few weeks so im not even really that sure if they are better but have been diving super hard in mexico and hawaii since I got them. I'm diving somewhat deep and swimming like a mofo here in hawaii too lol. Had to ditch the bleutecs when my girlfriend ran over my dive bag and one of the fins were stacked on edge

Kyle, my buddy snapped his Subcraft in the middle just swimming, so I question those blades. They were given to him by the Legendary Brandon Whalers. I agree on the Omer Rekords a buddy still has his from 6 yrs ago and they are still in great shape.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #53
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

[quote=freedivingfool;1965649]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
here's how my list goes for carbons/high end fins best to worst
subcraft
bleutec
omer rekords
leaderfins

Kyle, my buddy snapped his Subcraft in the middle just swimming, so I question those blades. They were given to him by the Legendary Brandon Whalers. I agree on the Omer Rekords a buddy still has his from 6 yrs ago and they are still in great shape.
yeah the subcrafts used to have breakage issues but about 5 years ago or so the dudes factory burnt to the ground so if you had em you were gold as long as they didnt break, but the majority of the pairs broke after years of usage and all in the same place. The owner has since reopened very recently and added some reinforcement into the blades where they were having breakage issues.
If I dont break the new reinforced ones I know they will be good, im not exactly easy on gear lol.

And as far as the rekords go I dont know anything about them, the scuba shop had em literally in a barrel of blades that they got when they bought out the dive shop that had the building before them, got em cheap as hell with no warranty for like 130 bucks
used em for 2 weeks and sold em about 6 months later on ebay for 280, again I'll say, best fins ive ever had for the money
Old 07-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #54
FishNFool
Fishimis Decimus

great thread...love to hear more on how the DiveR carbon blades perform...about to pull the trigger on carbon blades myself..

Aqua Addict.

DiveR fins for life

www.speardeals.com
http://www.neptonics.com
http://www.freediveshop.com
www.nautilusspearfishing.com
FishNFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:07 AM   #55
seal77

Xxone carbon fins is refered to be one of the best on european market.Of cource I dont underestimate Bleutec,Alchemy and other good brands.
There are NO unbreakable carbon fins.Even the highest quality carbon needs special atention,dont step on them,jump or push the bottom with them.I know much more broken carbon blades than fiberglass ones.
Another factor for durability is the pocket.People like pockets with thin ribbs wich makes the fin softer and more comfortable, BUT that encreases the risk of snap in that area.There is a limit wich must not be exeeded.For me the safer choise is to get a soft blade with harder pocket.I like Pathos pockets-extremely light and comfortable,but too thin ribbs to protect the blade enough.There are a lot of broken good blades in the past with such pockets and pathos changed several times formula for the rubber.
My favourite pockets by now are Salvi-4one-extremely ergonomic and balanced pockets.I use Leaderfins carbon blades,medium stiffnes and find them perfect for me.Of cource I have tried better brands and if I dont mach the right stiffnes for me,they perform worce.
Right stiffnes is the main thing that effects on the performance,also the combination between pocket and blade. The rest is just preference between the different prooved brands on the market.
Right stiffnes depends on the weight and strenght of the diver

Last edited by seal77; 07-27-2014 at 04:18 AM.
seal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:42 AM   #56
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
Had to ditch the bleutecs when my boyfriend ran over my dive bag and one of the fins were stacked on edge :
You should have broken up with Brett IMMEDIATELY, who runs over a dive bag???

Last edited by kwtony; 07-27-2014 at 04:43 AM. Reason: boob
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:45 AM   #57
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I have the nautilus blades in softs and really like them, very snappy and quick. I use the pathos pocket for many years but have just picked up a set of omer pockets. When i first tried these fins, they were paired with the Omer pocket, and i could tell the difference in the stiffness of the rails. I havnt gotten back in the water with them yet, but i have one blade set up with a pathos pocket and another with omer, i will swim with them on at the same time and see which i prefer better.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #58
lopezoscar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
I have the nautilus blades in softs and really like them, very snappy and quick. I use the pathos pocket for many years but have just picked up a set of omer pockets. When i first tried these fins, they were paired with the Omer pocket, and i could tell the difference in the stiffness of the rails. I havnt gotten back in the water with them yet, but i have one blade set up with a pathos pocket and another with omer, i will swim with them on at the same time and see which i prefer better.
Those are the same blades I am thinking of getting. I have omer stingray blades so I will probably use those foot pockets.
lopezoscar03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #59
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

been using the subcrafts for about 2 months of completely non-stop diving with depths up to about 110'
I was right with my rankings, once the fins got broken in they were the perfect stiffness for me as well.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #60
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
Calling me gay when you're the one using omer pockets? suuuuuuure