Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 08-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #1
Fox55

Help picking the right boat

How's it going everybody my family and I are moving down to Corpus Christi Texas from Arizona. Can't wait to get down there and do a little spear fishing and fly fishing for some of those reds that everyone's talking about.
Anyway my question is on boats I don't know a whole lot about them other than lake boats And I don't think many lake boats are gonna do very well down there in the ocean. So what boats are you guys using to go out spear fishing 20 30 miles out and then get in the skinny water to go fly fishing.
Fox55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #2
svivian

Re: Help picking the right boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox55 View Post
How's it going everybody my family and I are moving down to Corpus Christi Texas from Arizona. Can't wait to get down there and do a little spear fishing and fly fishing for some of those reds that everyone's talking about.
Anyway my question is on boats I don't know a whole lot about them other than lake boats And I don't think many lake boats are gonna do very well down there in the ocean. So what boats are you guys using to go out spear fishing 20 30 miles out and then get in the skinny water to go fly fishing.
Done with the Freshwater stuff aren't you! Sounds like you need two boats lol a poling skiff and an offshore boat.
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
Fox55

That's kind of what I'm starting to see. Other than maybe a panga.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:19 PM   #4
SEATUX

I'm thinking a pontoon boat!
I've seen a pontoon boat 20 miles off shore ( I know, STUPID!).
And tho it is not the best boat off shore, it was there, AND it can get into the shallows...AGAIN..NOT the BEST choice for shallows either...

Trust me...You need TWO different boats!
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
Fox55

So right now I'm looking at maybe a 22' or 24' Pathfinder or Blue Wave Bayboat. With either one of these I should be able to hit the jetty and go out 10 to 15 miles on a good day in 1 to 3' chop at worst case scenario and still be able to float through 12" of water with a trolling motor and Fly fish for those reds. Just not sure if I should spend the extra and go with the 24' I don't know that an extra 2' is gonna make a difference In the performance of the boat. What do you all think.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:40 PM   #6
Dbrown

That Patfinder is a nice boat. I've fished nearshore and dove offshore on it. Solid boat. Also done it on a 24' Sea Hunt. Bay boat also. The 2' does make a difference, especially when offshore and things turn bumpy.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:28 AM   #7
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox55 View Post
I don't know that an extra 2' is gonna make a difference In the performance of the boat. What do you all think.
In boats, 2' is ALLOT.
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:15 AM   #8
Fox55

So is it wrong that I'm more excited about buying a boat than a house!!
Old 05-07-2022, 06:12 AM   #9
MeTo

Check out 24 Sea Way. Either the CC or Hardtop sport. I have thr Hardtop sport and love it.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:13 PM   #10
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

In my experience, that pathfinder is too deep of a V hull for inshore. My suggestion for consideration is a used Boston Whaler Outrage around 22'.
I've been to the middlegrounds in a 21' version like this. Put all your dive equipment and coolers up front, strapped down good. They ride very well with the weight up front. Strapping/Mounting the tanks down on the front sides was a challenge but it can be done. As always, you'll need to pick your days, but that Outrage made the cut for us even when it got nasty...and they're designed whereby they're pretty much impossible to sink. That's a very nice feeling when your bilge pump(s) is in question or has failed...or thru hull connections have broken (ALWAYS use brass below the waterline)
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 05-07-2022 at 02:24 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:28 PM   #11
OBLIGATED

Buddy has a 24ft bay and reef boat with a 300 Yamaha.Pick a decent day offshore and get there and back fast!It did 61 mph with 8 of us on board for a sunset cruise.Remote troller will hold you on wrecks offshore or running backcountry in the Everglades for Snook and Tarpon.If I remember right he got it for around 85k.It has hydraulic jackplate for shallows,hardtop has dual boxes,spray mister,speakers,light and who know what else.I built my first log home in the mountains on over 3 acres and fully furnished for around 85k.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fd3.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	248255   Click image for larger version

Name:	lakee.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	248256