Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
sos26

dive computers

I've got two Genesis computers that are a first class PITA to make them shut off. Anyone one else have this trouble ?
Old 01-18-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
Capt.Gene

Re: dive computers

Don't they shut off automatically after tracking your gas back to pre dive levels?
Old 01-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
sos26

It is supposed to shut off 24hr. after the last dive. And did so for a few years. But now it wont shut down for days or even weeks after a dive. Just like my first putter of the same make. First of all I was told by my LDS that it must be soaked in fresh water because the contact points are down inside and build up with salt ,,,,,,,,, Well that was total BULL SH!T ......... the contacts are on the end of the buttons used for operation. NOW what i must do is , soak the buttons in viniger , scrub with tooth brush , rinse then blow with compressed air.
Lucky me ,, I got lots of that around.. What a PITA !
Even talked to a guy from the company the other day,,,, all he did was try to blow smoke up my a$$ ,, telling me that it is supposed to stay on for days while tracking my gas levels .. I said Bull , then why didn't it do that when I first got it and was doing much more diving ! (I was younger then) And on and on it went.......... He would NOT admit that I have a problum or that it is a design flaw .... Like I told him , with two buttons that will do a hundred operations , you would think it could be shut off.

I sure as hell will never buy another !
Old 01-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Capt.Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by sos26 View Post
It is supposed to shut off 24hr. after the last dive. And did so for a few years. But now it wont shut down for days or even weeks after a dive. Just like my first putter of the same make. First of all I was told by my LDS that it must be soaked in fresh water because the contact points are down inside and build up with salt ,,,,,,,,, Well that was total BULL SH!T ......... the contacts are on the end of the buttons used for operation. NOW what i must do is , soak the buttons in viniger , scrub with tooth brush , rinse then blow with compressed air.
Lucky me ,, I got lots of that around.. What a PITA !
Even talked to a guy from the company the other day,,,, all he did was try to blow smoke up my a$$ ,, telling me that it is supposed to stay on for days while tracking my gas levels .. I said Bull , then why didn't it do that when I first got it and was doing much more diving ! (I was younger then) And on and on it went.......... He would NOT admit that I have a problum or that it is a design flaw .... Like I told him , with two buttons that will do a hundred operations , you would think it could be shut off.

I sure as hell will never buy another !
If they are years old and you pulled the battery and rice dried it to no effect, you should call Peter Scop Industries (PSI) in Norcross, Ga, ask for Vince or Jay and see if they will exchange you for working refurb unit. There will be a charge but less than you expect. In my opinion, those computers are as dependable as anything on the market and supported with great customer service. I sold a thousand of them.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
sos26

Hi Gene,, Thanks for your reply and information ,,,,
The problem is all in the buttons , I will admit that i didn't soak the first one after every dive but the nitrox computer was taken much better care of . So since you have dealt with many of these units ,, have you ever had this issue ever come up ?
I will give Peter a call at first chance.
Oh, I see on E-Bay I buy battery's by the doz.,,,,,, problem solved !

thanks,,,,,,,
Old 01-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #6
MRNOSFL

Friends I dive with use these and have the same problem. They have 2 and both do it.
MRNOSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #7
ReefGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sos26 View Post
I've got two Genesis computers that are a first class PITA to make them shut off. Anyone one else have this trouble ?
I was issued one with my job. I promptly gave it to someone else.
ReefGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
sos26

Finally,, someone else with the problem ,, now I don't feel so all alone !