Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 02-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
tmaas

The freediver's safety vest--IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Freedivers have no safety device to help prevent death from shallow water blackout. Two dedicated freedivers from Ventura, California have formed a corporation dedicated to the development of the first important safety device for freedivers. Since our Internet forum started last April, work has progressed steadily. Now, after spending over $100,000 and procuring a patent to protect their investment, commercial development of the freediver’s safety vest is well underway. Please follow this link for a new study of shallow water blackout and information on how the vest works. Note that while I am an enthusiastic supporter of the freediver’s vest concept, I have no economic interest in the company, nor do I plan to in the future. http://www.freedive.net/swb.htm
Thank you,
Terry Maas
tmaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: The freediver's safety vest--IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Terry,

Let me be the first to offer you a warm welcome to the board. Excuse me for taking the liberty to say for all of us that we are proud to have you.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
Polystigma
No Bananas!

Wow, this vest could potentially save many lives. Freediving is becoming a very safe sport as it seems. Glad to know people are thinking of the saftey of thier fellow divers.
Polystigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Old Bateman

One of my best friends have a SWB episode while I was diving with him some 20 years ago. He blacked out about 20 feet from the surface. By the time I swam over him and descended, he had dropped to almost 50', well beyond what I had ever free dove before. As I grabbed him by the collar and started back up, I thought there was no way we would make it, but the Lord gave me the strength, and we made the surface. Upon raising his head above the water, he started coughing and woke up, not even realizing he had passed out.
This safety vest will undoubtedly save many lives, that dive buddies would be unable to. Kudo's to these guys for the time, money, and effort they are investing to develop this. Is this the one Sheri Daye had some input on?

http://www.fishkillaproductions.com/#
Old Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
tmaas

Indeed, Sheri had, and continues to have, considerable input on the devopment of this device. I even borrowed the title line above from an edit she made to the piece!
Old 02-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #6
normanhghntr

welcome to the board , what an excellent idea this vest is!! im not sure if i missed it but how does it look deflated?, will there be different sizes based on your weight and how much weight you carry?

would you be interested in doing a spearfishing- freediving seminar at the key west open this may? we would love to have a few of you west coasters come to the keys!!
Old 02-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
mattymatt

Welcome Tmass!!! Can you or someone else elaborate/explain "We also anticipate that some divers will reach the surface, deactivate the vest then pass out while exhaling." Also wondering what the price will be? Whatever the price, it sounds like this will an invaluable piece of equipment and mandatory for all freedivers.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #8
tmaas

Matt,
Thanks for the welcome. Originally, we thought we would not allow deactivation of the vest until the diver reached the surface. Now that we understand that it is possible for the diver to deactivate the vest on the surface and THEN pass out, we are programing in a safety period. If the diver descends within 15 seconds and goes deeper than 10 feet, the vest will fire even though it was "deactivated."
Old 02-12-2006, 01:41 AM   #9
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Terry, this device is fantastic! I read the description at http://www.freedive.net/swb.htm and was very impressed. This will save lives and I congratulate you and your team for developing it. I am going to pass the word to all my freediving friends. Welcome to Spearboard! Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:19 AM   #10
WreckHunter

Terry,
Welcome to Spearboard. We hope to see alot more of you here. That vest is a great idea. I am surprised nobody thought of it before. But then that is what they say about all great inventions.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:56 AM   #11
deadend
hurter of feelings

Terry, I'll mirror everyone with a Welcome to the board! It's good to have you here and I'm sure that your books and stories have inspired many others as they have myself.
deadend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:49 AM   #12
titaniumdiver
Non discript" H20 avatar

Welcome Terry, it is honor to have you here...Always an innovator
Old 02-12-2006, 08:24 AM   #13
DISKSKO

Nice to see that we continue to evolve...great thinking!

www.spearfishingtravel.com

----------------------------------
Spots that are listed (or will be) on SpearfishingTravel.com: S. Africa, Madagascar, Morocco, Egypt - Thailand, Bali, Saipan, India - Australia, Coral Sea, New Zealand, Solomon Islands, Tahiti - Mexico, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Barbados, Panama, Belize, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Peru, Ecuador, Brasil...Hawaii, Florida, Luisiana, New Jersey, California, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, N.Carolina - Spain, Norway, Turkey.

Ben.
DISKSKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #14
extremediver
speedy

Terry Speedy Here Welcome To The Board .john Bettua And Myself Have Been Using A Vest For Years Its Made For Sailers It Comes In To Ways Manual And Auto Inflate When Its In Water We Use Manual Mode Its Save My Patner Twice . My Concern Its A False Sence Of Security We Need To More Info And Not To Push Our Limits. I Hope That The Vest Makes A Differents For Others.

EXTREMEDIVER FREEDIVING SPEARFISHING CLUB MEMBER
extremediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #15
chasintail
Hell Diver

How bulky will it be?How easy will it be to operate?How many of you guys will actually wear it?

PS Good to have you on board! Your book is responsible for the thousands of dollars of gear and travel expenses I pay out yearly.
chasintail is offline   Reply With Quote