Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #136
Bob Ballew

Re: Some Thoughts on Financial Survival

..All of us are learning as we go. This is a new game in town with new rules. I did my homework, made my bets and plan to hold. Hell, I have survived two shark attacks, several men trying to shoot me dead and one attempt to put a shiv in my stomach...Most of the guys I dove with are dead...Then, there is 38 years of marriage and my Spearboard critics....For all of us, the virus is just one more blip on the radar....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 04-01-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #137
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It's easy to buy when you still have dry powder. I'm trying to hang on to what I have at the moment. You still holding tight to F and UAL? IMO, I'd shed the latter in a heart beat. But hey, WTF do I know? Rhetorical, I'm still trying to figure that question out.
Marcus,
You are either a prophet or a jinx!
I am holding so much UAL stock that I am dizzy just seeing it ebb and flow like a buoy in the swell. The stock is so diluted that its not likely to bounce very high.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #138
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

F has indefinitely suspended US and Mexico production for now. I see both stocks quite troubling for now. I don't see any recovery for either at the moment.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:43 PM   #139
Bob Ballew

Once we buy, we don't pay much attention to the wild girations taking place at present, except when a buy opportunity occurs. It is the long term growth you should aim for..Remember the turtle and hare race fable? The turtle moved slow but steady..the hare ran fast and wore himself out, getting passed by the slow but, steady progress of the turtle, who won the race...Buying depressed stocks is no different...
Old 04-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #140
Bob Ballew

If you are waiting for a government check to arrive in your mail, it may take a month or more....If your tax refunds are automatically deposited in your account, then, it will arrive a lot quicker....If out of work, apply for unemployment benefits and don't be too proud to apply for food stamps or check out local food pantry donations. If you are attending college and are now stuck at home, use the down time to research college grants and scholarships. Lots of them go unused..Do your homework...

Hey, Marcus....Tesla stock went up eight percent....My Ford is down....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 04-03-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:34 AM   #141
PigStikr
The Stalker

Hey Bob,
What do you think of Boeing BA? They took a huge hit when the 737 MAX went south, and it still doesn't look like a quick fix. Also, obviously, nobody is going to be buying commercial aircraft with the fleet mothballed. That doesn't look to change anytime soon. On the other hand, the freeze on sales gives them time to fix the MAX and compete with it once things pick up. Also, they have a huge military business, I don't know what percent though. They were almost $400 a year ago and below $100 last month. I can't see any administration abandoning them. $144 today seems a bit high tho...
Old 04-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #142
sidewazzz

I'm still holding onto my investment cash stack it's not much but better than nothing. I'll likely be going all in at the beginning of May. btw there is word of a 2nd stimulus push on the table.
sidewazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #143
Bob Ballew

...To be honest, the $100 a share stocks are a little too rich for my risk taking limit at present. I am following the low priced old school: banks, airline stocks, oil producers like OXY and several cruise lines, all of which are near rock bottom bargain prices. Still, like sidewazzz, I am holding back until I think the virus has peaked and shows signs of going down, at which time, stocks will likely take off toward new highs.
...The current ups and downs are all based on positive news one day and negative news the next. If some of it hits new lows, we will buy and just plan to hold long term until the economy is back to normal. The virus progress is the measuring stick to follow, based on what knowledge I have.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:31 AM   #144
jfjf

People that I have been listening to on the internet who sure seem to be smarter than me seem to be thinking along these general lines:

The economy will NOT return to normal ever.

The impact is going to be transformational and long term.

A simple example might be on-line instruction. After 6 or 9 months of this lock down, the popularity of the old model of very expensive (in person) instruction may be significantly reduced if we find that the "new way" seems to work OK - certainly cheaper.

Impacts to tourism, travel, cruise ship travel, airline travel, just in time supply chain/distribution and offshoring of just about everything - might all need to be re-evaluated.

The current oil price disruption, is also going to be pretty devastating and transformational if it continues for an extended period.

There are a lot of things going on, with governments all over the world printing money like crazy, zero interest rates, oil prices, supply chain disruption and who knows what else.
Certainly we can agree that significant economic disruption can have significant political consequences as well.

Government bail outs are NOT going to ensure the survival of all businesses and many will be gone before this is over. There will be a culling of weak businesses, not just people.

This is no longer simply: "about the virus".

What the current situation seems to show is that the complexity of our "world" has brought with it some vulnerability, rather than robustness. It does make sense to me to think that an incredibly complex machine is easier to break and disrupt than a simple one.

The smart people seem to be foreseeing significant transformations and have little confidence that things will "get back to normal" anytime soon - or maybe ever.

Wish I understood all this better, I seem to be finding more questions than answers.

I'm sure the smartest people will use this time period to engage in significant wealth acquisition. My goal is to not lose too much (more).
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:43 AM   #145
mikelb

My 7 year old has his own computer, printer, headphones, and he logs on at 0830 every morning for distance learning. No running club, no swim team, no sports, no friends, no relatives, no park, no beach (Sunset), no Starbucks emulating old men reading, and way, way too much time with me. Gonna be interesting.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #146
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
...To be honest, the $100 a share stocks are a little too rich for my risk taking limit at present. I am following the low priced old school: banks, airline stocks, oil producers like OXY and several cruise lines, all of which are near rock bottom bargain prices. Still, like sidewazzz, I am holding back until I think the virus has peaked and shows signs of going down, at which time, stocks will likely take off toward new highs.
...The current ups and downs are all based on positive news one day and negative news the next. If some of it hits new lows, we will buy and just plan to hold long term until the economy is back to normal. The virus progress is the measuring stick to follow, based on what knowledge I have.
OK then, how about ERJ - Embraer ?
They are down to 6 bucks from 20 and they make regional jets as well as military and private jets
Old 04-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #147
Mr Main22
Adrian

Shell Gas, RDS.B or RDS.A i bought quite a few stocks at the plunge with an average entry price of 20.00...Started working it's way up and sold a considerable amount of shares at $36 a few days ago..How lovely of a trade that was.
Mr Main22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #148
Bob Ballew

Well done, day trader Main!...For our family, the refi was the frosting on the cake and our best investment to date...lowered our interest rate from 3.87 to 3.25%, pays off a car payment and our HELOC payments used for a kitchen remodel, which should raise the value of our home by about $90,000; puts cash in the bank for backup, reduces our monthly house payment by $164 and results in a positive cash flow increase of over $1200 a month from the debt payoff...
...We are not experts and certainly not geniuses by any stretch of the imagination..we just stay on top of events and look for opportunities to go up, rather than down...All you need to do is have more ups than downs to win the game!...
...My weakness is being too fond of platitudes, like:" Those who can, do...and, those who can't...become critics".....but, critics provide great entertainment while we are on lockdown, just like, "The Bachelor"....
Old 04-16-2020, 03:39 AM   #149
HEX
Hector F.

Who else got their Corona Virus money direct deposit? 1 wife 2 kids that's $3400! Now thats Covid-19 Baller status.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #150
sidewazzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
Who else got their Corona Virus money direct deposit? 1 wife 2 kids that's $3400! Now thats Covid-19 Baller status.
Not me, pretty sure my ex wife committed tax fraud and claimed our 3 kids (I have full custody). So i had to file by mail... but with all this COVID stuff, the IRS isn't processing mail in taxes at this time.
sidewazzz is offline   Reply With Quote