Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Saylor

Coming Back Alive

This past Friday, Jan. 4, 2013 I was scuba diving out of Jupiter on the Emerald Dive Boat owned by Randy Jordan. There appeared to be a sailfish tournament going on by the large number of sportfisherman boats on the water. I was on the surface waiting to be picked up when an approx. 45 foot sportfisherman boat on plane running approx. 30 miles per hour was headed straight for a number of divers on the surface. Our dive boat with 2 large dive flags was right there. The boat with a blue hull come flying right us and it missed me by no more than 5 feet. Once it passed I was turned end over end by the large wake it put out. I only lost my mask, but Thanks to the Grace of God I didn't lose my life. Carrying a dive flag and sausage (5 Feet Long) makes no difference to an Autopilot with an IDIOT behind the wheel. My comments. Dr. David Saylor, Age 71 Lakeland, Fl.
Saylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
FEEL da STEEL->
Chad

Re: Coming Back Alive

You are very blessed to still be here with all limbs intact. You stayed on the surface as the boat came at you? Any reason u didn't submerge?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Saylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEEL da STEEL-> View Post
You are very blessed to still be here with all limbs intact. You stayed on the surface as the boat came at you? Any reason u didn't submerge?
I know exactly what your talking about but when you have only seconds to respond hitting my scooter button and kicking like hell to one side was what I did. I believe if one had the time to empty the BC of all air and go down is also an option. I seen this boat coming at me for some distance and with waving my sausage I expected it to turn.
Saylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
IslandFever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillBilly View Post
Captain of that boat should have guarded his divers in the water at all cost you said there was a number of you on the surface and he was right there? That captain would have alil explaning to do. Now dont get me wrong the sportfish was very wrong. But possibly a VHF call could be put out or running the boat in between the two of you could have prevented this.

Ps. Any vessel is responsible for damages caused by its wake. Does your back hurt? Lol

Glad everyone is all right
Captain John was right there and did an excellent job of blocking the sportfish and making the boat change course from what I heard. Reefroamer and another diver were also in his path. Cruising on autopilot in an area known for dive boats is just stupid!

Good to see you Doc and glad you are okay!
IslandFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
reef roamer

big money tournements bring in people who do not know about divers, do not know that people are under water doing the same thing here in Palm Beach County, they are all about the catch and the prize $. Capt. Rocker did exackly what he could by blocking the boat with the Emerald, problem was the sport fish never got off his throttle , just turned a little, drove between Saylor and myself. we as the diver community need to educatete
these tourniments...............

hey wana sea my fish????????

Koahspearguns.com.
Ladygadivers
reef roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Behslayer

I would find the boat. Take a few Water Balloons filled with Red Paint and leave an anonymous note.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
FEEL da STEEL->
Chad

Saylor, very glad it worked out. We all know what happened to Rob & this situation makes me a little bit sick. I was hoping that we had progressed since his accident but perhaps not. I'm positive Rocker did everything he could to prevent this. It's much different running a documented vessel with 20+ divers in a raging current than it is running a little 6pack.

This situation could have easily ended horribly, followed by a USCG inspection, Form 2692, & Law enforcement investigation. Real Dive Captains take a giant risk with there License each and every time they go out. They can do nothing wrong, someone gets hurt & & it's on! I just responded to an accident last weekend off Delray & witnessed the entire process 1st hand...........

Thank God no one was hurt in Jupiter. Next time things may be different!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by behslayer View Post
i would find the boat. Take a few water balloons filled with red paint and leave an anonymous note.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
GillBilly

Flair guns work too
GillBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

I was working the shipwreck just off Jupiter inlet June 2010. We were 3 point anchored and had 2 divers in the water already, and the Blue Tang dive boat out of Jupiter must have been on autopilot, almost ran over our anchor line about 60 feet off our bow- maybe. The side of their boat was almost touching where the rope went under and it was tight as a drum. We were blowing the horn but no one did anything, they just kept chugging along. If it would have been cut it would have really popped. You would think a dive charter would know better. I have had many boats almost run people over and stopped by me blocking and honking the horn at Palm Beach and Jupiter, but that was the first I had seen just keep on going like nothing was happening. That area is really bad for that.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
AndrewK

Miami lauderdale is terrible for this too. Ive been narrowly missed a time or two, and Ive also had friends who cheated death. Glad everyone is ok. Dive flag awareness signs need to be at every marina, boat ramp, etc in florida.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
jfjf

My buddy has installed a train horn on his boat.. Literally.. it hooks up to a tank via a regulator..
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
AndrewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
My buddy has installed a train horn on his boat.. Literally.. it hooks up to a tank via a regulator..
Pictures please. Do want for scaring the cubanos off their boats at the sandbar... :thu mps:
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
That is a GREAT idea. Apparently the East coast of Fl is more dangerous than the West. West siiiiiiiidem Yo!
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
jadairiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
....Apparently the East coast of Fl is more dangerous than the West....
Jupiter south to Key West is crazy. Too many to count the times I have been buzzed or almost run down, off the beach or from a boat. Both recreational boaters and commercial fleet.
jadairiii is offline   Reply With Quote