Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Buddy Networking -- Let's Go Hunting! > Anywhere else!

Anywhere else! You can post here to get a conversation started if looking to meet and hunt with people in other areas not listed above.

Old 12-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
SpearoDwizz

Costa Rica Shoredive and Bluewater 2020

Hello everyone.

Posted this in international, did not know about the dive buddy section until now. Sorry!

I'm heading down to Costa Rica for about ~1.5 months from around early January to end of February 2020. Looking to see if there are any other spearos down there/headed down there that may want to link up for some diving. I've been spearing on and off for maybe 10 years, I'll call myself intermediate, (along with my Spanish). I'll be bringing all the gear down, got a reel setup, and a breakaway. Never have done bluewater but definitely ready to give it a shot.

I'll take any tips/recommendations on where to stay/dive/travel. Biggest thing, like many of us I'm on a budget so those thousand dollar guided tours, going to stay away from all that. Bus, pay off a panga, couchsurfing, sounds good to me!

I've done a solid bit of research and seen there are many good spots to dive, just steer clear of protected areas, and get a fishing license ($30).

I'll initially be around Jaco for the first week, but after that I'm going to be free to roam the country! Let me know!
Thanks guys!
SpearoDwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
Timinator

Re: Costa Rica Shoredive and Bluewater 2020

I've been to the west side of the Nicoya Peninsula shore and boat diving several times. Almost bought a house there. The cost line there from north of Marbella all the way south is virtually untouched by spero's. Excellent shore diving is usually had at any of the bay tops or bottoms, and it's just one beautiful bay after another. The pangas can take you to shallow reefs and mounts off shore for even better diving, but the shore diving is pretty great once away from large towns.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
chuckschultz15

I am going to be there from February 8th until the 15th and would love to have some company for some spearing/freediving and am also on a bit of a budget. Our exact plans aren't set yet as far as where we're going, but I'll be doing my research between now and then. Please keep me posted on what you find once you get there!
chuckschultz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
SpearoDwizz

-Timinator

Awesome! All great info. I've wrote it all down. Do you recommend getting your own car to navigate the coast line? How about the possibility of camping out on the beaches? In my experience in foreign countries, just don't be an idiot and you'll be fine.

-Chuckschultz15
I'll send you a DM. Would be great to have a dive buddy down there. Hope it lines up!
Old 12-27-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
Timinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearoDwizz View Post
-Timinator

Awesome! All great info. I've wrote it all down. Do you recommend getting your own car to navigate the coast line? How about the possibility of camping out on the beaches? In my experience in foreign countries, just don't be an idiot and you'll be fine.

-Chuckschultz15
I'll send you a DM. Would be great to have a dive buddy down there. Hope it lines up!

We ended up buying a beach house in Mexico instead, which may have been a mistake....Anyhow, navigating the roads down there are a pita. Everything takes a lot longer than here, their dirt roads and heavily rutted and take forever. If you're going to be in the Jaco area, just stay over there and make the best of the diving. I'm not a fan of the heat in Costa Rica, which is why we didn't buy there, but if the 7" long bugs and heat don't bother you, there probably are lot's a areas to spend the night along the water. The Tico's are known for having zero respect for your property though. If you leave stuff out or unattended, even inside a locked car, they believe that makes it their's. There are lot's of fish everywhere though, get away from a big city and you'll find fish.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
SpearoDwizz

-Timinator

Thanks again. I'll be sure to post pictures of the catch.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
quattroluvr
Leigh

Send a message via Skype™ to quattroluvr

regards sleeping, get up on elevation/mt where there's breeze, 'cause the beaches are hot and humid. The bluewater angling is legendary but finding a cheap blue water spearo boat trip will be expensive and hard to find vs panga which may be dodgy for really offshore. Some spanish guys got busted for spearfishing a few years ago, but they may have been in protected area, not clear from the article. may be anti-spearo sentiment from some quarters. I've read articles saying spearing legal and illegal everywhere, or just illegal in parks and reserves. Would love to get the real story from a resident CR spearo.
quattroluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:16 PM   #8
SpearoDwizz

-quattroluvr

Thanks for the info. I've also seen some conflicting statements about spearfishing legality. I'll be sure to report on it after the trip. I leave tomorrow so I hope I can connect with some local spearos and whack a few nice fish!
Old 12-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #9
SpearoDwizz

About a year late on uploading photos...but here are some catches from last year. (Not sure if the gopro photo will show)

I'm back down here again for a few weeks if any other spearos want to make it down for some pargo slaying send me a PM!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #10
nilsonov

Good followup! We're you able to get any productive shore dives in? I've only explored the Caribbean side, but it seemed kind of fished out.
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #11
North Star
Max

Nice fish! Good followup!
Old 01-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #12
SpearoDwizz

Also regarding legality. There's a lot of people who well tell you spearfishing is illegal in CR, but it's not. You can even get a spearfishing license for $50 a year. Doubt there's anybody there to really enforce it but it's better to play it on the safe side.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk