Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
Pelagics1988

San Diego Spearfishing

Hey Guys, I'm going to be out there in the San Diego area for a week in a couple months and wanted to get an idea of how the spearfishing is in the area. I'm from New Jersey and I might bring my gear out with me if its worth it. Any good shore dive areas? Hard to find any possible spots on google maps. Anyone familiar with that area or within an hour of San Diego? I may try to book a spear charter if one is around. I believe Guardian Charters does bluefin spear charters but I'll have to double check. Any advice would help. I love diving new areas.

Thanks!
Pelagics1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
LookPointShoot

Re: San Diego Spearfishing

At this point, we're in winter season so the nearshore pelagics like yellowtail and white seabass are much fewer and farther between for the most part and the offshore pelagics like tuna and mahi are gone. Most guys in this time of year are looking for lobster, or reef fish like bass and sheephead (not like your sheepshead, more like a tautog or cunner)

I think you should base your decision on whether to bring your gear on how the weather forecast looks. If the conditions look calm, it's worth it even if you don't get anything because IMO the California coast, especially on a clear day, any time of year, has some of the prettiest diving anywhere. I would rather snorkel on a clear day in CA than Hawai'i.

Temps in the Jan-Feb timeframe are typically in the mid to high 50s, but things have been a little warmer the last few years and this year looks like no exception so maybe they'll stay in the low 60s.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Pelagics1988

I'm going to be in the area in June. Booking the flight shortly though it looks like prices are not bad right now. I have time to figure out where I will dive, just want to make sure I will at least have a shore dive spot to jump in at.
Pelagics1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
surforfish
Ocho Loko

Send a message via AIM to surforfish

June is a great time, there is a chance to dive for just about everything in San Diego, but it all depends on conditions. A charter at that time would be a good call.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
dctrjayyy

June is great. Pm me a couple of weeks before you get here and I'm sure we can get you out on a trip.
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
Lukebiker

If next June is anything like the last few Junes there will be good volume of Bluefin within full day range of San Diego
Lukebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
LookPointShoot

Yeah June's a totally different story
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote