Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-11-2022, 11:23 AM   #1
super opus

looking for spots near mdr

hello, I am trying to find some spots that I can start hitting after work near Marina Del Rey. would like kelp and rocks. any help would be greatly appreciated.
super opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #2
Bob Ballew

Re: looking for spots near mdr

...You aren't getting a response because it appears you are looking for an easy, no effort on your part solution. No putdown intended, but, most of us spent (still spend) a lot of time exploring for spots over the years, joined a dive club for shared info and do online research, of which there is a lot of useful location info...
...Immediately on hitchhiking to CA at age 15 (God, was it 1964?) and finally owning a beat-up '55 VW, I explored up and down the King's Highway (now known as Pacific Coast Hwy.) and found many spots for halibut, wsb and other species. The cute Good Wife sat on the shoreline many a time while I explored spots at RPV, Malibu and Laguna Beach.
... It paid off with filets on the table. Try it and you will find a treasure drove of good spots....
.. I once had a 200 lb. black sea bass strapped to the roof rack on the VW, which drew no small amount of curiosity and had to quit hauling abalone on the back floorboard after the floor rusted out and the battery fell out onto the freeway, thumpty thump...I became a dive partner with Carlos Eyles (author of, "Last of the Blue Water Hunters") when he saw my long gun sticking out the window of the VW and waved me down (traveling down the King's Highway, of course).....ahh, the grand adventures that await creative divers along The King's Highway!

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 09-12-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:54 PM   #3
super opus

its mdr. there is the break wall and the artificial reef that I know of and have dove few rocky spots up and down. just never seen kelp
super opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:06 PM   #4
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

***Spoiler Alert*** There is little to dive on the west-facing shorelines that isn't a man-made structure. Most beaches are just sandy deserts without a lot of structure.

If you stand on the beach and look inland and you don't see a Mountain or Cliff aka something rocky, odds are you are standing on a sediment fill, which by its very nature will have zero structure, therefore zero kelp... just a load of sand to look at.

To find kelp, find the structure for it to grow on. To find structures find somewhere with rocks, they usually fall down from mountains and cliffs, and rarely grow up from the sand
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote