Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
SJspearo

Marlin

How can I shoot Marlin? Any techniques or drive around looking for em? Saw one on a paddy but shot fell short with Jbl magnum.
SJspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
davej

Re: Marlin

bow and arrow fishing tackle may be used for taking all varieties of skates, rays, and sharks, except white
sharks. Harpoons may be used to assist in taking Pacific halibut as specified in Section 28.20. Such gear
may not be possessed or used within 100 yards of the mouth of any stream in any ocean waters north
of Ventura County, nor aboard any vessel on any day or on any trip when broadbill swordfish or marlin
have been taken. Bow and arrow fishing tackle may be used to take finfish other than giant (black) sea
bass, garibaldi, gulf grouper, broomtail grouper, trout, salmon, broadbill swordfish and white shark
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
davej

the way I read that you can not shoot marlin, correct me if I am wrong. section 28.95. dfg
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
CitoRat4Ever
I bungee my freezer shut

Spearing Marlin is OK
No spearing swordfish

Spearguns are classified differently that bow and arrow fishing.

Get a bigger gun.

Nicholas DuMong - Ex-President, Santa Barbara Freedivers - I'm out bitches!

http://www.wongspearguns.com/
CitoRat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
Bob Ballew

...Read reports of where the yachts are catching them (currently above Catalina and on the Osborn Bank, with a few off the east end of Catalina)....find a pinnacle with a big bait ball and hang in the bait....if you have a meter, looking for a flat dent in one side of the bait ball will tell you that a gamefish is attacking the bait at that location...
...Another technique is to troll a large lure behind the boat on the marlin grounds...when a fish comes up in the troll pattern, stop while one person is pulling the lure in, diver jumps in and tries to intersect the fish behind the boat before it sounds....
...Two good sources of info is the Western Outdoor News paper published weekly and Pacific Coast Sportfishing magazine published monthly...both are excellent sources of knowledge and info if you want to become an expert waterman...
...Shoot with a free shaft and float or risk losing your gun....marlin are tough fish to land on the light shafts currently used by most divers...I hunt with a 3/8"diameter x 5' shaft at all times...I believe in the old school saying: Don't take a knife to a gunfight, especially in the ocean....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
dctrjayyy

Seems a bit contradictory but maybe spearfishing is okay for marlin just not swords? I guess it depends on the definition of spear

28.90. DIVING, SPEARFISHING. Persons who are floating or swimming in the water may use
spearfishing gear and skin or SCUBA diving equipment to take fin fish other than giant (black) sea bass,
garibaldi, gulf grouper, broomtail grouper, trout, salmon, or broadbill, except that:
(a) No person may possess or use a spear within 100 yards of the mouth of any stream in any ocean
waters north of Ventura County.
(b) When spearfishing for or in possession of federal groundfish species or associated species as
authorized pursuant to subsection 27.20(b)(1)(D), in an area or during a season closed to the take of
these species, no fishing gear except spearfishing gear may be aboard the vessel or watercraft.

28.95. SPEARS, HARPOONS AND BOW AND ARROW FISHING TACKLE. Spears, harpoons and
bow and arrow fishing tackle may be used for taking all varieties of skates, rays, and sharks, except white
sharks. Harpoons may be used to assist in taking Pacific halibut as specified in Section 28.20. Such gear
may not be possessed or used within 100 yards of the mouth of any stream in any ocean waters north
of Ventura County, nor aboard any vessel on any day or on any trip when broadbill swordfish or marlin
have been taken. Bow and arrow fishing tackle may be used to take finfish other than giant (black) sea
bass, garibaldi, gulf grouper, broomtail grouper, trout, salmon, broadbill swordfish and white shark.

Either way, JBL is the way too go. Make sure you have the Magnum, not regular.
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #7
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctrjayyy View Post
...... JBL is the way too go. Make sure you have the Magnum, not regular.

Taking a JBL to hunt Marlin is like taking a Vespa scooter to race at the isle of man, unless of cource you have the "Magnum Vespa"
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:28 PM   #8
VangysWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJspearo View Post
How can I shoot Marlin? Any techniques or drive around looking for em? Saw one on a paddy but shot fell short with Jbl magnum.
The fact that you're even asking the question, says you are not ready to shoot a marlin, and I say that for your own safety. Get a bigger gun, and go kill some yellowtail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Taking a JBL to hunt Marlin is like taking a Vespa scooter to race at the isle of man, unless of cource you have the "Magnum Vespa"
This ^^
Old 09-14-2016, 11:21 PM   #9
Dannowar

Sjspearo is a troll. Every post he makes is BS trying to get everyone riled up. Just ignore him and maybe he'll move onto Reddit like all the other keyboard warriors.
Dannowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 AM   #10
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Absolutely. The JBL Magnum, even if rebooted and tweaked (I did them for a while, I was sponsored by JBL in 2000, 2001.) you are slinging steel with a 15ft gun, MAX.
The right guns for the job are sending a 3/8" shaft 25-30ft.
Minimum size is a Wong Ono, or Riffe Islander class gun, maxxed out on power.

Just remember; once your spear is fired.......... it's HIS turn, and his spear is always loaded.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
Island Rat

That would be a "TROPHY FISH" most sportsman (and women) catch and release them. Your question should be "How can I shoot and release a marlin"? The answer would be you can't so don't do it. Sorry, my opinion.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #12
Divefresh
IN YOUR HEAD

Marlin tastes like rubber shit

boonandcrockets@gmail.com

Check my videos out here.....

http://http://vimeo.com/26251075

http://www.youtube.com/user/typical250
Divefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #13
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJspearo View Post
Dude, you need an avatar photo. Post up one of those BFT you shot!

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #14
Bob Ballew

...As far as actually spearing a marlin, I fail to see the point unless you want a wall mount and even then, plastic replicas are better. As you age, you gain wisdom as well as maturity, and will realize that preserving sealife is far more valuable than killing it. We could have probably had 2 fish limits on our last trip, but, one 70 lb. bluefin per person will last each of us for a long time............................>
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #15
LookPointShoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Sjspearo is a troll. Every post he makes is BS trying to get everyone riled up. Just ignore him and maybe he'll move onto Reddit like all the other keyboard warriors.
How is everyone else not realizing this??

And the rest of you are nuts! Marlin is good (especially smoked) and I'd love to shoot one.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote