Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #46
Lompoc Local
Errin

Re: Dominate bug season. Rad Hookaset up on SB C List

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearS0CAL View Post
Can a true "trophy" bug even fit into a commercial trap? But I can attest to significantly more zeros in SB than other spots down south.
A trophy bug may not fit in a trap but strip mining the entire coast can ensure that no new trophy bugs are produced. Once all the per-existing bugs are gone, there is no replenishment. Now we're left scrounging for anything that measures out. It's incredibly frustrating as many of you have experienced...

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #47
seal
South of Pt. Conception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
A trophy bug may not fit in a trap but strip mining the entire coast can ensure that no new trophy bugs are produced. Once all the per-existing bugs are gone, there is no replenishment. Now we're left scrounging for anything that measures out. It's incredibly frustrating as many of you have experienced...
I definitely agree with this. I know this will piss some people off, but I would like to see commercial lobster trapping banned from the CA coast excluding the islands. I talked to one of the guys (one of the few who was nice enough to stop and say hello instead of buzzing me dangerously close with his skiff) and he was telling me on a bad day he gets maybe 75 bugs. I just can't see how that's sustainable....especially when it's so damn hard to find legal bugs after December. (I'm not saying I can't still pull daytime limits at certain spots, but the majority of bugs are shorts)
seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #48
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

In for dave driving up to SB and swimming right back out to the same holes he dove back in college and pulling huge ****ing bugs
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #49
standish
Fishy shaft

Quote:
Haha, I see your point but you went to school up here, what, 25 years ago? I'm sure the bugs were bigger and more plentiful then. Things are much different now. When was the last time you pulled a 5+ pounder out of SB? The areas you mention still hold bugs but not the dinos you pulled back then. Devereaux is closed now and that was the best spot for larger bugs that I've yet seen. We don't have jetties and an abundance of bug-holding man made structure here. Anyway, you get my point. Would love for you to prove me wrong, I could use a little inspiration. The offer stands if you're ever in the neighborhood.
SB bug hunting is really damn hard. A limit of non island legal bugs in SB county(west especially) on breath hold is a trophy in its self. It also makes it incredibly rewarding when you can pull a couple that are a decent amount over legal size.

Biggest I've seen pulled there was only a few pounds. I second the motion, Ralph, take him up on it and find some trophies. In a completely non agressive challenge, I'd like to see you do it.

I feel like it really is a structure problem. The coast in SB is generally flat and not too eventful. It's mainly the ledging that has fallen down to create small crevices and nooks, but we really lack areas that would give what I would consider a "cave" to get back into. Of course there are some, it's the ocean, but they're extremely rare. Even at that rate, I'm not saying I'd go back into those gnarly carverns. I've seen one of your vids, RTH, of getting back into one of those caves, and all I can say is..... "shit......"
Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #50
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal View Post
especially when it's so damn hard to find legal bugs after December.
You guys need to dive more structure out in the 70-80ft range here in socal
absolutely loaded with lobsters, lings, goats, and reds
Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #51
standish
Fishy shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
You guys need to dive more structure out in the 70-80ft range here in socal
absolutely loaded with lobsters, lings, goats, and reds
If you're hitting the 70-80 ft range for bugs in SB county, I completely retract what I just posted. That's a league in its own. I don't know how damn far off shore you'd have to go in SB for 70-80 ft, but I know it's not shore diving, that's for damn sure.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #52
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by standish View Post
If you're hitting the 70-80 ft range for bugs in SB county, I completely retract what I just posted. That's a league in its own. I don't know how damn far off shore you'd have to go in SB for 70-80 ft, but I know it's not shore diving, that's for damn sure.
nah, the big ones are close to shore
lots of volume out there though, need small boats and fish finders/marker bouys to freedive that crap effectively
Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #53
SeaRanchAbLingr

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
This I am pretty sure, was the scariest thing to ever happen to me
Diving big bugs is probably the most dangerous activity to pursue CA diving wise.
I think ab diving statistics in terms of fatalities might prove that it could at least vie for that title. Same principle there: The big ones get big cuz no one wants to go in after em where they are.
SeaRanchAbLingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #54
iamasalmon

Quote:
Things are much different now. When was the last time you pulled a 5+ pounder out of SB?
I saw a 5+lb bug last season in about 20 feet. I was on scuba doing surveys for the lab and I nearly crapped my wetsuit (no taking bugs during surveys). This year, 3 that big were counted during those surveys, all within striking range of a reasonably fit shorediver. Needless to say that spot was loaded with bugs (at the time), despite the fact that it gets hit hard with traps every year. Naturally, later in the season it gets harder to score bugs there.

A wise man once said, "Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. If you went by that logic, you wouldn't even think boobies existed."

Let me know if you do end up coming up RTH, I would love to be a safety diver (FII trained).

...and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasco View Post
- as you put it, "weak sauce."
HA HA Lompoc... got told by CARRASCO...

I can't wait for bug season. I don't even like them that much, but super fun to chase around. Maybe one day I'll feel this way about WSB season...
Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #55
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albondiga View Post
And the majority of those trophy ones you need 20 foot arms to reach, which goes full circle to the hookah hose/spelunking debate.
20' arms or brass balls. Some people have both. It's kind of sad that when people think the only way to get a big bug is with a hose. It just goes to show how little understanding people have of the talent that is out there.
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #56
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Quote:
Haha, I see your point but you went to school up here, what, 25 years ago? I'm sure the bugs were bigger and more plentiful then. Things are much different now. When was the last time you pulled a 5+ pounder out of SB? The areas you mention still hold bugs but not the dinos you pulled back then. Devereaux is closed now and that was the best spot for larger bugs that I've yet seen. We don't have jetties and an abundance of bug-holding man made structure here. Anyway, you get my point. Would love for you to prove me wrong, I could use a little inspiration. The offer stands if you're ever in the neighborhood.
Dude. Im old but not that t old. Things haven't changed that t much in 12 years
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #57
FreeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphthehalibut View Post
Dude. Im old but not that t old. Things haven't changed that t much in 12 years
I disagree. Your old, and you suck at diving.
FreeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #58
seal
South of Pt. Conception

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphthehalibut View Post
20' arms or brass balls. Some people have both. It's kind of sad that when people think the only way to get a big bug is with a hose. It just goes to show how little understanding people have of the talent that is out there.
Dave, if you're referring to me you're misinterpreting what I said. There are people (you included) who pull trophy bugs freediving. Fact is fact. I'm concentrating on doing that exact thing and am getting more and bigger bugs every season. I'm saying that if someone's consistently pulling trophy bugs or multiple trophy bugs per dive there's a good chance they're using a hose. I'm not naming names though.
seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #59
Fin Fever

Cool
Fin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #60
unkabonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal View Post
I definitely agree with this. I know this will piss some people off, but I would like to see commercial lobster trapping banned from the CA coast excluding the islands. I talked to one of the guys (one of the few who was nice enough to stop and say hello instead of buzzing me dangerously close with his skiff) and he was telling me on a bad day he gets maybe 75 bugs. I just can't see how that's sustainable....especially when it's so damn hard to find legal bugs after December. (I'm not saying I can't still pull daytime limits at certain spots, but the majority of bugs are shorts)

I agree. Well, I think commerical take is "sustainable", however I think fisheries should be managed first and foremost for the benefit of individuals pursuing sustenance, not commersh guys selling bugs to china for $$$. It should be easy to go out and grab a limit of bugs recreationally. I seem to only be able to do it around the opener, or at Catalina though.
unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote