Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #31
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Re: Dominate bug season. Rad Hookaset up on SB C List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albondiga View Post
My understanding is that hookah is illegal for all types of hunting in CA, not just bugs. It would be pretty handy for cleaning boat hulls and retrieving gear in a harbor though.
Don't they use it for urchin and sea cucumber?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #32
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimbandit View Post
Don't they use it for urchin and sea cucumber?
Just commercial diving. Different rules for that.
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #33
standish
Fishy shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolinedaniel View Post
Man people sure know how to ruin threads
x3....
Old 06-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #34
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albondiga View Post
Just commercial diving. Different rules for that.
got it, thx
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #35
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
Well, considering your record the last two years on bugs, I'd say either option would be an improvement! Haha...

J/k Jeremy, bug hunting in SB is tough, and there is no such thing as "trophy" bug hunting around these parts.
There are plenty of trophy bugs in Santa Barbara.

Regarding using a hose or not. Have you ever gotten stuck in a cave under water on breath hold? Have you ever gotten lost in a cave under water? If you had, a hose system might not look too bad. Assuming you like being alive that is.

A hookah system won't make a s***** bug diver magically into a good one. It is a tool, just like any other one. Good bug divers get trophy size bugs with them or without them. If certain friends of mine weren't banned, they could tell you how they have sat there and held me above the surface after I semi blacked out pulling large lobster from caves on breath hold.

Think long and hard about that. I'm not bragging when I say that I am one of the better divers out there. That is a simple fact. I've been doing it for a very long time, and there still have been more times than i care to think about where I would have died if I had not had a great spotter.

Compare that to going into a cave with an air supply? It doesn't sound like such a bad option.
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #36
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphthehalibut View Post
There are plenty of trophy bugs in Santa Barbara.

Regarding using a hose or not. Have you ever gotten stuck in a cave under water on breath hold? Have you ever gotten lost in a cave under water? If you had, a hose system might not look too bad. Assuming you like being alive that is.

A hookah system won't make a s***** bug diver magically into a good one. It is a tool, just like any other one. Good bug divers get trophy size bugs with them or without them. If certain friends of mine weren't banned, they could tell you how they have sat there and held me above the surface after I semi blacked out pulling large lobster from caves on breath hold.

Think long and hard about that. I'm not bragging when I say that I am one of the better divers out there. That is a simple fact. I've been doing it for a very long time, and there still have been more times than i care to think about where I would have died if I had not had a great spotter.

Compare that to going into a cave with an air supply? It doesn't sound like such a bad option.
Fair enough. I'm still not interested in nearly killing myself for a bug or using a hookah hose to find them. I'll take a few 0's on the card and continue to dive the way I am comfortable. My breath hold is not extraordinary and I am fine with that. I still land plenty of nice fish and a decent amount of legal bugs.

So RTH, plenty of trophy bugs in SB, eh? If you're talking about the islands, that's not what I meant. I was referring to coastal SB as Jeremy and I are both landlocked to a certain degree.

If you did mean coastal SB, you have an open invitation to come and dive with me any time. I'll host, pay for beer, provide transport and anything else that's needed to ensure you have a nice visit to our little paradise up here. All you have to do is take me to the land of trophy bugs cause I'm not aware of any spots that hold bugs over 2-3 pounds. The commercial guys up here do an incredible job of mining everything over legal up and down the entire coast (aside from the MPA's of course) and most divers are lucky to get a couple of barely-legal bugs when they go out. It's sad but true.

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #37
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Quote:
Fair enough. I'm still not interested in nearly killing myself for a bug or using a hookah hose to find them. I'll take a few 0's on the card and continue to dive the way I am comfortable. My breath hold is not extraordinary and I am fine with that. I still land plenty of nice fish and a decent amount of legal bugs.

So RTH, plenty of trophy bugs in SB, eh? If you're talking about the islands, that's not what I meant. I was referring to coastal SB as Jeremy and I are both landlocked to a certain degree.

If you did mean coastal SB, you have an open invitation to come and dive with me any time. I'll host, pay for beer, provide transport and anything else that's needed to ensure you have a nice visit to our little paradise up here. All you have to do is take me to the land of trophy bugs cause I'm not aware of any spots that hold bugs over 2-3 pounds. The commercial guys up here do an incredible job of mining everything over legal up and down the entire coast (aside from the MPA's of course) and most divers are lucky to get a couple of barely-legal bugs when they go out. It's sad but true.
Shoots dude, you dont need me to show you. I pulled plenty 5-8#ers from freaking mesa lane when I went to school up there. Not to mention tons up the coast that were over 10 at hike in spots. There's no magoc involved man. Just find a boiler rock with a bunch of mussells on it inside the surf line and look under it.

Commercial guys cant mine inside the surfline, and once a bug gets over about 5 pounds it doesn't fit into the traps anyways
Old 06-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #38
SpearS0CAL
Beau

Quote:
The commercial guys up here do an incredible job of mining everything over legal up and down the entire coast (aside from the MPA's of course)
Can a true "trophy" bug even fit into a commercial trap? But I can attest to significantly more zeros in SB than other spots down south.
SpearS0CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #39
Cameronv
Ando26

I'm not an experienced diver or veteran, but I do dive SB coast frequently. The majority of bugs I see are barley legals. I usually see 2-4 per dive, while looking for other game.
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #40
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Just to add to that thought, remember when failsurfer kept saying I was only getting big bugs because I was going places nobody else was? And it turned out I was diving exact same spots he. Snd as bout a million scoobers were? The big bugs are there. Even if you d ont See them, they are there
Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #41
Albondiga
A Harmer

Typically traps don't catch them over 5 lbs, but I have seen 6-7 pound bugs get into traps before. If they really want in they can blow out those wire funnels.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #42
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronv View Post
I'm not an experienced diver or veteran, but I do dive SB coast frequently. The majority of bugs I see are barley legals. I usually see 2-4 per dive, while looking for other game.
As it should be. The majority of bugs you see any where are small. For every hundred one pounders you will see a couple 2# bugs. For every 10 two pounders you might see one3 pounder... and so on..

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. All it means is that you don't see them
Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #43
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
As it should be. The majority of bugs you see any where are small. For every hundred one pounders you will see a couple 2# bugs. For every 10 two pounders you might see one3 pounder... and so on..

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. All it means is that you don't see them
And the majority of those trophy ones you need 20 foot arms to reach, which goes full circle to the hookah hose/spelunking debate.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #44
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Have you ever gotten stuck in a cave under water on breath hold? Have you ever gotten lost in a cave under water?
This I am pretty sure, was the scariest thing to ever happen to me
Diving big bugs is probably the most dangerous activity to pursue CA diving wise.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #45
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Shoots dude, you dont need me to show you. I pulled plenty 5-8#ers from freaking mesa lane when I went to school up there. Not to mention tons up the coast that were over 10 at hike in spots. There's no magoc involved man. Just find a boiler rock with a bunch of mussells on it inside the surf line and look under it.

Commercial guys cant mine inside the surfline, and once a bug gets over about 5 pounds it doesn't fit into the traps anyways
Haha, I see your point but you went to school up here, what, 25 years ago? I'm sure the bugs were bigger and more plentiful then. Things are much different now. When was the last time you pulled a 5+ pounder out of SB? The areas you mention still hold bugs but not the dinos you pulled back then. Devereaux is closed now and that was the best spot for larger bugs that I've yet seen. We don't have jetties and an abundance of bug-holding man made structure here. Anyway, you get my point. Would love for you to prove me wrong, I could use a little inspiration. The offer stands if you're ever in the neighborhood.

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote