Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
Teamdiesel

Re: Tobago here I come. Any tips or info?

Do you find bigger, better quality fish in Trinidad or Tobago?
Teamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
Nix

Both have great fish depending on where you go. Tobago has cleaner with more blue water species and is a generally prettier dive. Trinidad has a lot of secret spots, can have runs of king mackerel at certain times and has the oil rigs which are special all by themselves.

Both have good places. Tobago is special though and I have a lot of personal bests there with far less time spent in the water. I shot the fish in my avatar on a morning shore dive in Tobago.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #18
Namor
Goletard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamdiesel View Post
Where do you live man?
I live in Santa Barbara on the coast of California. Not far enough (100 miles) from Los Angeles.

Im so fired up for this trip, the more I read about Tobago the more I think Im in for a really good time

Jeremy
Old 02-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
pargo rojo

I will be looking forward to a trip report, I'm thinking of going there myself.
Good luck Namor.
pargo rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #20
Namor
Goletard

Less than 3 weeks left, im pretty much salivating at the prospect of vacation.

I have a gear question, about shore diving in Tobago. Is it standard practice to have a float with a dive flag behind you when diving there from shore? At home I just run a yellow 65' float line, and i constantly check for boats. I want to be consistent with local methods as far as this goes, and can bring a flag/float along if thats called for.

Also do you guys hang your catch from a float, or use a stringer attached to you waist? At home I routinely have a few fish hanging off my waist by the end of the dive. I dont know the shark situation there and would rather not have to learn from my mistakes.
Thanks
Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	feb mixed bag 99.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	186250  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
Tickle Stick
Trinidad & Tobago

For shore dives we tend to use just a float line and a fairly visible float. For example, I use about 60' of cheap twisted braid polypro and one of those cheap orange lobster floats. Don't see many guys using flags but it won't hurt. You still do need to be vigilant. The fishing boats are familiar with spearfishermen. Having said that, never take it for granted that they have seen you. Last trip i made a couple months ago I had to hold my gun straight up out of the water a couple times to get their attention. Better safe than sorry.

There aren't many sharks, mainly black tip reefies, but no where near as much as you would see in Florida (greater hammerheads depending on when and where you go). You can wear your stringer on your belt but i prefer to hang it from my float line as I've seen pretty bold behavior from some moray eels here. Nix can attest to that having been bitten already.

Also, like Nix said, talk to a fisherman or two to take you out of Parlatuvier Bay to a few spots along the coast. Lots of barracudas (They are great and the locals can make it real good for you. No risk of cig).

Hope you get good conditions. Water is clean as we're in the dry season but we are on the tail end of a big ground swell right now so the waves are high.
Tickle Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #22
Namor
Goletard

Could Tabago be a better place? Me and my family loved it . Thanks all for your help!!

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=159836

Jeremy
Old 05-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #23
NickTheDiver

Hi... Where do you get tanks and air? whihc shop do you use?

ps: New to the forum and island and having issues in getting in touch with a shop for shore diving on our own.
NickTheDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #24
Tickle Stick
Trinidad & Tobago

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheDiver View Post
Hi... Where do you get tanks and air? whihc shop do you use?

ps: New to the forum and island and having issues in getting in touch with a shop for shore diving on our own.
I may be able to help depending on what you had had in mind. Also, where in Tobago were considering?
Tickle Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #25
NickTheDiver

Fantastic... Just sent PM.
NickTheDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #26
Teamdiesel

I also just came back from Tobago yesterday. It was a great trip and although I didn't get to do any diving because of a throat infection, that place will always have a special place in my heart. Water was crystal clear and the vibes was nice. Will definitely be back with my gear and gun.
Teamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #27
wlkconsulting

Send a message via Skype™ to wlkconsulting

Hi guys. Was going to Honduras, Utila in Feb. but have to change plans due to lack of information on spearing the place. Im trying to hit the ground running with a spot that offers unlimited shore diving. Will only be there for a week and I don't want to waste time exploring with a hit or miss. In my search, I found very little info and only one contact who knew something about Utila. He is in the process of moving there but is still learning about the place himself...Anyway, Im switching up to Tabago, Trinidad for Feb....need help guys..Looking for unlimited shore diving/ best area to stay that offers this. Not bent on finding monster fish (unless opportunity presents itself) just good structure with consistent game food fish. Any help would be very much appreciated..
wlkconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #28
pablom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlkconsulting View Post
Hi guys. Was going to Honduras, Utila in Feb. but have to change plans due to lack of information on spearing the place. Im trying to hit the ground running with a spot that offers unlimited shore diving. Will only be there for a week and I don't want to waste time exploring with a hit or miss. In my search, I found very little info and only one contact who knew something about Utila. He is in the process of moving there but is still learning about the place himself...Anyway, Im switching up to Tabago, Trinidad for Feb....need help guys..Looking for unlimited shore diving/ best area to stay that offers this. Not bent on finding monster fish (unless opportunity presents itself) just good structure with consistent game food fish. Any help would be very much appreciated..
You will probably have a better time spearing in T&T. I have been to both T&T and Honduras.... Honduras is overfished pretty much everywhere except the protected areas.

I will be in Trini in December for a wedding. Going to Abaco the end of this month to spearfish!
pablom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #29
Nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablom View Post
You will probably have a better time spearing in T&T. I have been to both T&T and Honduras.... Honduras is overfished pretty much everywhere except the protected areas.

I will be in Trini in December for a wedding. Going to Abaco the end of this month to spearfish!
If you want to spear in T&T while you're here send me a pm
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #30
pablom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
If you want to spear in T&T while you're here send me a pm
Sounds like a Plan!
pablom is offline   Reply With Quote