Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #31
Scott L

Re: A little something green I brought home from the panga beach and smoked up...

What kind of smokers do you guys use? This looks awesome
Scott L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #32
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Re: A little something green I brought home from the panga beach and smoked up...

I currently have a no name two chamber that resembles the cheapes one at Walmart and a Coleman electric stack which is too hot but can be used
Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #33
Namor
Goletard

I use a cylinder shaped smoker I got off craigslist. I has had the factory element replaced by a electric stove coil (2 actually) that has been bent to shape. Having a rheostat for the stove control lets me set the temp where I want it.

I keep the smoked fish in the refrigerator, it seems to keep a long time.

For some of you more experienced guys I have a question. Whats the pros and cons of brineing in a liquid solution vrs covering it with dry salt and sugar the way I do it?

Also, have any of you tried smoking crab or other shellfish? One guy I know smokes his leftover mussels and they are incredible. I want to try smoking some limpets and crabs. Im thinking I will have to crack the crabs shells 1st to get the smoky flavor in.

Jeremy
Old 01-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #34
SLO Motion
Danny

Dude, thanks so much for this idea! I pulled a fat cab out of the freezer the other day and steaked it up. Turned out so good in the smoker. And this process wastes virtually zero meat.........ate up the collar and all those fatty head pieces that usually can't be filleted.

I will be steaking and smoking fish much more often now.
SLO Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #35
norcalsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Motion View Post
Dude, thanks so much for this idea! I pulled a fat cab out of the freezer the other day and steaked it up. Turned out so good in the smoker. And this process wastes virtually zero meat.........ate up the collar and all those fatty head pieces that usually can't be filleted.

Do you split the head in half before you throw it in the smoker, or throw it in whole?
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #36
shafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottywotty View Post
Another tid bit, for smoking fish you want to stay away from the heavier flavored woods such as hickory, mesquite, and Walnut go w/ the fruit woods or one of my favorites Alder.

Scotty
Anyone know where can you buy Alder wood or fruit woods in LA?
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #37
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafe View Post
Anyone know where can you buy Alder wood or fruit woods in LA?
orchard supply , home depot, ace, big 5, or just call a arborist and ask for some frutwood trimmings , they are cutting back trees this time of year
phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #38
Pither
I Pith

So, frozen fish smokes up pretty well? I thought fresh was best and frozen comes out mushy...?
Luck can be replaced with time in water for same results.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #39
MF_Jones
mitch jones

man thats awesum
MF_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #40
Namor
Goletard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Motion View Post

Im glad that worked out for you. Im out of smoked fish now myself and the next rock fish or cab I run across is getting smoked for sure.

I also like the zero waste of the smoked fish. Even the little scraps will slide of the bones and is really good. One friend of mine told me he thinks the fish taste better and more flavorful if they are cooked with the bones in

Smoked fish heads make a great garnish for a bowl of smoked fish spread

Jeremy
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #41
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pither View Post
So, frozen fish smokes up pretty well? I thought fresh was best and frozen comes out mushy...?
frozen fish works great . i eat what i can fresh ,freeze the rest and if it looks like i wont be able to eat it after it has been frozen for 2-3 months i smoke it eat what i can and vac pac it and it can be re-frozen for another couple months
phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote