Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 02-03-2021, 01:23 AM   #1
Capt Jackspearo
AvK

Kauai Trip: Dive Buds, Charters, Local Info, Contacts None Secret Spots

Aloha,

I will be living in Kauai for a couple months come March.

I am looking specifically for local intel on spearfishing Kauai.

Dive Buds
Charters
Local Info
Local Contacts
None secret good spearfishing spots and spots to stay away from.

[dm me or dive with if willing. I AM asking for general spots, but NOT secret. I'm not an idiot, know how it is and have a strict self policy on respecting others home grounds]

BEER, GAS, and FOOD for the whole crew EVERY TIME on me for anyone willing to either take me out, give me on island contacts, or share general good and not good spearfishing areas to help save me time reef scratching my a** around the whole island.

So if you are local or have speared Kauai in the past your input is invaluable to me.
----------------------------------------

Respect above all. I love hawaii, its culture and locals. I am not a novice, not coming to slaughter fish, disrespect the land or the people. The complete opposite. I'm looking for new friends to share dives, memories, and BBQs with.

My background for info sake: I am an experienced diver (although not pro) I have lived and dove Big I, Maui, Lanai, and Guam to date so familiar with the Island life and diving but Socal is where I live and dive most the year. In short Im extremely comfortable in the water, sketch shore dives or rough water not a problem. I have my FII lev 1, typically hunt in 40-80 feet (comfort zone). Have been diving for a very long time.

Mahalo in advance.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #2
Panunu
Kody Panui

Re: Kauai Trip: Dive Buds, Charters, Local Info, Contacts None Secret Spots

Aloha Jackspearo,

A good place to start diving on Kauai would be Poipu on the south shore. This is a super touristy spot with lots of beaches spread out. Not secret at all given the amount of locals and visitors that frequent there. A nice spot given your experience would be Koloa Landing/Hanakaape Bay since its an easy spot to shore dive with a steep drop off. Naming this spot shouldn’t step on anyones toes since its an established scuba tour site that many people dive everyday. You could also hit up the Sea Sport Dive Shop while your on that side and I’m sure they’ll help you out.

For context I was born and raised on Kauai and have been diving my whole life. I’m currently working on Oahu and the spearfishing isn’t exactly stellar here, nice sights though.

Hope you enjoy our little island!
Panunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #3
Capt Jackspearo
AvK

Aloha Kody,

Thank you for being the first to offer some Info. Since you grew up in Kauai any more info would GREATLY appreciated DM me if so.

Hitting the local shops is always my first to do so I will drop by Sea Sport Dive, I always support local when I can. I will also check out Poipu but it sounds like the type of area I typically stay away from if there will be a ton of Haole in full face snorkels with kids splashing about (although I am Haole my skin be darker if you catch my drift). Koloa Landing/Hanakaape Bay sounds more promising if theres a drop off and more difficult access. A favorite dive of mine was SP Big I (shouldn't be stepping on any slippas here either) dangerous diving but man was it good.

I would love to talk with you more. I was in Oahu recently and dove extensively there, including with Daryl Wong, man can he hunt. We shot Ono, Kagami, Uhu and many others it was some of my favorite dives. If I have time I plan to go to Oahu after as I have friends on Island. If I am able to go I would love to meet up with you and dive or share stories over some poke. I will DM you my contact info.

Mahalo.

Last edited by Capt Jackspearo; 02-03-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Capt Jackspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:35 PM   #4
speareatsleep

I'll be on Kauai from May 5-13 and bringing my gear, if you're still around. I haven't shot an Uku since I left Oahu in 2016, but I'm stoked! If not, let me know where I should go.
speareatsleep is offline   Reply With Quote