Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
CaptainHook

Heavy Duty DIY Floatline for less then 30$

Have a look on my newest "Corona Project" a heavy duty 20m floatline that is unbreakable. All materials cost less then 30$.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJqvzwhYIQo
CaptainHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:12 AM   #2
Mikel_24

Re: Heavy Duty DIY Floatline for less then 30$

Looking good! just a few pointers.

1- Seems like you have a well equipped shop. If you have an air compressor, you can use the same method contractors use to lay cables in underground conduit. Basically shoot the thread (with a ball at the end) through the tube with a burst of compressed air. It takes literally SECONDS to put the guide line through.

2- The other tip is regarding carabinners. I just saw at the beggining of your video that you are using climbing carabinners. They are not the most appropiate for salt water use. The aluminium will eventually corrode superficially and avoid smooth operation of the gate. Besides, the springs are not true stainless, which is ok for rain/snow but not for salt water. I would suggest you use marine stainless carabinners.

I did something similar but didn't use anything inside the tube. For my use, it is plenty strong. Instead of inserts I just created a loop at each end, sealed on the inside with Sikaflex, tied on the outside (dacron thread for flying kites) and some glue lined shrink tube (electrical stuff).

Other than that, it is a great project. It glides much easier than just rope. So far I have not punctured mine, and I dive 95% of the time from shore.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote