Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-07-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
m_wetterling

What gun???

I am from Minnesota and I do some spearfishing both here and in North Dakota(rough fish in MN and walleye/northerns in ND). I will be traveling to Texas this summer and am thinking I may get a new gun. What would you reccomend for spearfishing the gulf, I am looking at some of the bigger JBL guns, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
m_wetterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
kjflyfish
snorklin'

Re: What gun???

What fish will you be targeting, scuba or freedive, and what is your price range? If you're getting a gun just for a trip or two, you may not want to go all out on a custom gun like Wong, Poseidon, etc., but then again, the custom makers can lead you into the right direction to the perfect gun.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
m_wetterling

I don't really know what kind of fish I will be going after, I guess I was kinda hoping you guys would have an idea and point me in the right direction.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
m_wetterling

Also, I am not sure about scuba or freediving. I have scuba gear and am certified, but my buddy isn't and may or may not get certified by then. If he does we will likely go with scuba gear, otherwise it will be freediving.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
eward4
Reef Ranger

I would look at the Sea Hornet over the JBL. Check out www.slinginsteel.com. I think the 52" is a great gun and tough as nails. It should serve you well for many years. Depends on your price range.

Last edited by eward4; 02-07-2007 at 10:57 PM.
eward4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Scolinos
is the ocean's lover

DON'T get a jbl lol, just b/c they're the only guns at your local sports chalet doesn't mean they'll cut it. I would recommend nearly any other gun manufacturer over them.
use the search option next to quick links on the toolbar up where it says welcome m_wetterling. use it to search for recommendations on what gun to get, if you do your homework, you'll find something.

Motivation fueled by Obsession
Scolinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
kjflyfish
snorklin'

If you are looking for a tough, reliable, fast loading line gun that wont put a hole in your wallet, go with the SS or Biller guns. I have a 36" biller with SS speed load system for inshore stuff and I really like it. If reload time isn't a big deal, and especially if you're freediving, you may want to check out the Riffe guns. If you want a teak masterpeice that will be very powerfull with no recoil, you should talk to some of the custom gun makers - Wong: www.wongspearguns.com, Poseidon: www.poseidonsub.com are two examples. Of course you could make your own gun too. I just finished a 53" mid-handle - it's a lot of fun and very rewarding.

Longer guns will have more range for longer shots and big fish, but will be useless in crappy visibility, whereas the short guns are great for low-vis bottom hunting, but you will wish you had a longer gun when the vis opens up.

Generally speaking (some of you other guys help me out here):
For small fish and low vis, a polespear can be just as effective as a gun, if not more so, and will be very simple and easy to use.
If you are shore diving around inlets, jetties, etc. You could get away with anything from 36 to 50 inch guns, with the smaller range more suitable. It will really depend on visibility.
If you are going offshore, get a gun in the 50-60 inch range depending on your targeted species and necessary range. If you are freediving, you should look into getting a floatline or reel to make sure the fish doesn't drown you (or take your gun) and so that you get your fish. A reel would be good for scuba too, especially if you don't stone that cobia that swims right by you.

I hope this helps. I know it's a lot, but there's a lot to it.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
Eyt@nnah
Eytan Nahmias

Send a message via AIM to Eyt@nnah

go for a POSEIDONSUB thee great guns

poseidonsub.com
Old 02-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
eward4
Reef Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjflyfish
I just finished a 53" mid-handle - it's a lot of fun and very rewarding.
Pics?
eward4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
kjflyfish
snorklin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by eward4
Pics?
On the way...
Old 02-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
kjflyfish