Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
SJ_Spearo

Panga Importers/Builders

I am looking to buy a panga to replace my current boat. I am looking for a 22' boat like a mimsa or imemsa with a deck, fuel tank (under deck), and console. Not looking to spend an arm and leg on a kitted out boat. Does anyone know who is currently importing or building these in the US and what they may cost? I'm familiar with the bigger companies, but most of them are selling polished products for a larger markup. I want something bare bones, lightweight, and cheap. Any help or contact info would be great. Just want to figure out what my options are. Thanks
SJ_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
xrispearo
you cant see mee

Re: Panga Importers/Builders

The only importer is in texas. Richard beck at panga USA

The prices are steeper than buying in Mexico but the transaction is super smooth. Figure 12k for the hull you want. They can do a custom trailer for 3500.

Get the 26 or 25 if you can. More space and same amount of maintenance. Just sightly more difficult to trailer
Old 05-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
SJ_Spearo

I know they are the only official Imemsa importer, but I would consider other brands. I think 12k is a little steep. It's a tough call on the size. I only usually go with 2-3 other people so I think I could get away with the smaller size and smaller motor to keep the price down.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
Capt.Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ_Spearo View Post
I know they are the only official Imemsa importer, but I would consider other brands. I think 12k is a little steep. It's a tough call on the size. I only usually go with 2-3 other people so I think I could get away with the smaller size and smaller motor to keep the price down.
Chris Hurst At Pangawarehouse.co imports Argos hulls and has sold MIMSA in the past.

I bought my 27' Miimsa factory direct from David Conde. I have a price quote for the high sided 25' hulls in front of me right now. I was quoted prices for an order of three hulls, shipping in one container.
You need to be prepared to accept poor quality gel coat. Mexican boats are not built to our cosmetic standards.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #5
Capt.Gene

You can find Chris Hurst on Facebook. He has the smaller hulls.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
SJ_Spearo

Thanks. I don't need anything too pretty. It's going to be a well used fishing boat. I like the idea of ordering factory direct. Was it difficult to do? I think Mimsas is the way to go. I've heard a lot of people really like them and they are reasonably priced. I just haven't seen really any user reviews on the argos boats. Who would I talk to to get some prices on a 22 mimsas?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #7
sealark

When you get the Panga ready for an Engine think about a G2 E Tec. Lighter More torque. Don't listen to all this 4 stroke bull. My opinion only I just hopefully bought my last outboard a 150 G2 E tec. Never owned anything but OMC and BRP. This is my 5th repower on same boat usually get 1500 hours before repower. I would love to own a Panga but too old to get another one. Good luck and keep us informed on the build.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #8
Capt.Gene

[quote=SJ_Spearo;2139925]Thanks. I don't need anything too pretty. It's going to be a well used fishing boat. I like the idea of ordering factory direct. Was it difficult to do? I think Mimsas is the way to go. I've heard a lot of people really like them and they are reasonably priced. I just haven't seen really any user reviews on the argos boats. Who would I talk to to get some prices on a 22 mimsas.

Was it difficult? Go to Mexico Once or twice, import duty, freight and getting a title, your cost is going to be higher than you are expecting. American tire kickers have conditioned the Mex boat builders to not take us seriously. You need to go there with money in pocket ready to trust somebody you don't know in Mexico with thousands of dollars if you are going to have a boat built.
Shipping costs are gruesome. A shipping container might cost $5000. If you only ship a single hull you might as well have paid the money to an importer and saved the headache.
I would sure rethink your hull selection if you are going offshore and want to carry scuba gear. These are not big boats. They are quite narrow. Most have very low sides. High sides is an upgrade.
The 25' hulls are not much more money but are more capable. You could power it with a tiller motor and carry a 12 gallon portable plastic gas can.
If you want a smaller Panga you should just call Chris Hurst.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #9
Capt.Gene

These boats do not have to get over the hump to climb up onto plane.
They have little bow rise when accelerating. They run at speed on a flat pad in the stern. With no dead rise what so ever, hull length is your friend.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #10
xrispearo
you cant see mee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
When you get the Panga ready for an Engine think about a G2 E Tec. Lighter More torque. Don't listen to all this 4 stroke bull. Never owned anything but OMC and BRP. This is my 5th repower.
This doesn't scream bias...
Nope, not one bit
Old 05-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
xrispearo
you cant see mee

It's a four day trip to get to the nearest dealer in mx. Makes it a logistical nightmare and a lot of miles on your truck and gas money.

I met the Texan dealer in Tennessee to save shipping costs. I have the 26 imemsa with the normal lower sides. You don't want the higher sides, too hard to get into the boat and it's a heavier hull. The imemsa does have a 5 degree dead rise it rides nice when you keep the lightweight bow down
Old 05-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #12
SJ_Spearo

Thanks for the input guys. I kinda figured that importing would be a pain. Probably worth a little more to buy from someone who does this for a living. I am currently living in TN right now so it is a reasonable drive for me to go pick something up from gulf coast region. I hear what you guys are saying about length, but I'm stationed in TN for now so I'm doing quite a bit of trailering any time I want to get to the ocean/gulf. Its minimum 16hr round trip. I think I want to keep it on the smaller side. At some point hopefully I can get settled somewhere closer to the ocean and then I would consider something in the 25-27 range. Right now I have a 19ft BW Outrage and I am pretty happy with the size on that. I figure the 22 panga would be comparable (but lighter). Am I going to regret this? I will price out a few with Chris and see what he can offer. As far as engines, the E-Tec is definitely a good option. I will cross that bridge after I get a good hull. At the rate I get to go out, it would take a decade to get to 1500 hours. I need a light motor with low maintenance requirements and that would be alright sitting for longer periods of time during deployments and such.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #13
Wood Guy

I'm curious why you want to replace a 19 BW with a Panga style boat. The whaler is going to be way more stable, especially in a beam sea, but will require more hp due to it's additional weight and width. The Whaler will carry weight better, and the Panga will be more sensitive to where the weight is. The Panga will heel over a lot more when boarding from the side, and there won't be much room along side the motor for boarding from the rear. The Whaler will also carry more gear and passengers better due to the larger displacement. You could put 4 divers and their gear in the Whaler without a problem- not so sure about 4 guys and their gear in the Panga, at least a 22 footer.

The only reason I would personally prefer the Panga style over the BW would be the lower hp motor, but if I already had the Whaler I wouldn't be looking at a Panga. I haven't actually used a Panga for diving, but I live on the water and have seen a number of them underway. I'm sure Panga owners love 'em, but a Whaler would be an easy choice for me.

As far as engines are concerned, look at all of them before you make a decision. I just repowered my dive boat, and after owning only OMC engines since 1972, I repowered with twin 150 hp Mercs. They were cheaper than e tec. weighed within 20 lb of the e tec, and I could do all of the warranty and normal maint. myself, so that saves several hundred $. The Mercs are very maint. user friendly. They offer a great low end torque, and I couldn't be happier with the choice I made.

Like I always say, it's good to have choices!

Last edited by Wood Guy; 05-04-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #14
SJ_Spearo

Don't get me wrong, I really like the whaler, but I would like to go with a much simpler and lighter setup that's more efficient on the water and easier to trailer long distances. I guess I really need to go out on a panga before I commit to one and see if I like it. It's a tough choice. I think the whaler will definitely give a smoother ride. It's a tough choice..
Old 05-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #15
Capt.Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ_Spearo View Post
Don't get me wrong, I really like the whaler, but I would like to go with a much simpler and lighter setup that's more efficient on the water and easier to trailer long distances. I guess I really need to go out on a panga before I commit to one and see if I like it. It's a tough choice. I think the whaler will definitely give a smoother ride. It's a tough choice..
You might like the Panga ride better in a chop. The long skinny hulls just don't transmit the slam like you are used to getting with your whaler.