Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-02-2023, 06:03 PM   #1
Keysspearoo

Small ID bands

Hey guys,

Ive got one gun I have absolutely dialed in with 17.5mm (lg id) rubber but that is next to impossible to find local to me and i need to tie fresh bands for a trip this week. I can order some 17.5 but it wont arrive on time. Locally i can get my hands on 16mm small id. Would the power output of a 16mm small id be comparable to that of 17.5 lg id when cut to the same length?? I would greatly appreciate any input!

Thanks
Keysspearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 11:22 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Small ID bands

I expect that the cross-sectional area of a band may have a bearing on the force produced by bands, so maybe you could calculate that parameter provided you know the inner bore sizes for each size of band. Basically calculate the area of the band treating it as solid and then subtracting the size of the hole in terms of its area. Something I have wondered about but never got around to doing.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 09:53 PM   #3
memosub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysspearoo View Post
Hey guys,

Ive got one gun I have absolutely dialed in with 17.5mm (lg id) rubber but that is next to impossible to find local to me and i need to tie fresh bands for a trip this week. I can order some 17.5 but it wont arrive on time. Locally i can get my hands on 16mm small id. Would the power output of a 16mm small id be comparable to that of 17.5 lg id when cut to the same length?? I would greatly appreciate any input!

Thanks
Here a Exel table to calculate and compare different id-od bands power
Attached Files
File Type: xls forcecalculator (1).xls (27.0 KB, 93 views)
memosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:44 PM   #4
Marco

Short answer is yes. You can always cut them 1/2" shorter if you feel it lacks of power. Underpowered guns shoot fine. Overpowered don't.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote