Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 11:39 PM   #46
spearq8

Re: Handle Mod video ... GAME CHANGER !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefShark View Post
No its a rubbery/plastic handle...

Sent from my BLU DASH M using Tapatalk

With rubbery handles I think you should wrap it with carbon fiber tape to keep everything in place. With Polymorph you also need to completely wrap the polymorph around it to stay in place. I don't think either epoxy putty or polymorph will stick well to it.
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:12 AM   #47
skygear
          

Dont forget that the polymorph shrinks a bit.
skygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #48
ReefShark
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
With rubbery handles I think you should wrap it with carbon fiber tape to keep everything in place. With Polymorph you also need to completely wrap the polymorph around it to stay in place. I don't think either epoxy putty or polymorph will stick well to it.
So polymorph will be too heavy and wont stick, neither will epoxy putty? Or as long as i wrap it with carbon tape it will be fine?

Ive already seen some nice red carbon/kevlar cloth
Old 12-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #49
skygear
          

There is a yellow/black - blue/black - red/black - gold/gold - platinum/platinum - green, red, orange, blue, purple, pink, etc. Tons of colors now. Not to mention the tons of patterns and weaves. I like the honeycomb look but need to read up on it more.

gold aviation
http://www.dontscrapit.com/Wisconsin...ain-weave.php5
skygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #50
ReefShark
Jay

Yup i saw that honeycomb type also.. same company...

Old 12-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #51
spearq8

If you don't have experience with carbon fiber, I recommend you use only carbon fiber tape. This way you limit the cuts and limits the possible CF dust. I recommend before cutting the tape to use an adhesive spray and spray the tape ... wait a little until it hardens ... and then cut. This again limits any dust and doesn't allow the CF to thread out (can be a huge PIA). You don't need a vacuum machine to use CF .... just use a very slow cure epoxy ... put it on the handle until it is tacky to the touch ... then slowly and carefully wrap the CF around the handle making sure you place it carefully. It will stick to the tacky surface really well and then with a nitrile gloved hand you can press it for a perfect fit. Spray the end of the tape with adhesive spray to hold the end together. Then just wait a while for the epoxy to cure ... then a quick coat of 10 minute epoxy over it to cover the CF ... wait for the epoxy to cure then mark the contact areas of your hand and sand it a little ... then a thin epoxy coat there and sprinkle some clean oil free sand to make a good friction layer.

With CF make sure you use nitrile gloves as the stuff is like fiberglass and try to avoid sanding CF as much as possible. If you are going to sand into the CF ... make sure you do it under running water and accept that you have to wait for the handle to dry before putting an epoxy coat. Epoxy (especially fast curing epoxy) can have unhealthy fumes so make sure you use a P100 rated mask or do your epoxy work outdoors. Sanding fresh epoxy that hasn't cured fully is very toxic and you should also wear a mask and avoid the epoxy dust.

Last edited by spearq8; 12-29-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #52
ReefShark
Jay

Quote:
If you don't have experience with carbon fiber, I recommend you use only carbon fiber tape. This way you limit the cuts and limits the possible CF dust. I recommend before cutting the tape to use an adhesive spray and spray the tape ... wait a little until it hardens ... and then cut. This again limits any dust and doesn't allow the CF to thread out (can be a huge PIA). You don't need a vacuum machine to use CF .... just use a very slow cure epoxy ... put it on the handle until it is tacky to the touch ... then slowly and carefully wrap the CF around the handle making sure you place it carefully. It will stick to the tacky surface really well and then with a nitrile gloved hand you can press it for a perfect fit. Spray the end of the tape with adhesive spray to hold the end together. Then just wait a while for the epoxy to cure ... then a quick coat of 10 minute epoxy over it to cover the CF ... wait for the epoxy to cure then mark the contact areas of your hand and sand it a little ... then a thin epoxy coat there and sprinkle some clean oil free sand to make a good friction layer.

With CF make sure you use nitrile gloves as the stuff is like fiberglass and try to avoid sanding CF as much as possible. If you are going to sand into the CF ... make sure you do it under running water and accept that you have to wait for the handle to dry before putting an epoxy coat. Epoxy (especially fast curing epoxy) can have unhealthy fumes so make sure you use a P100 rated mask or do your epoxy work outdoors. Sanding fresh epoxy that hasn't cured fully is very toxic and you should also wear a mask and avoid the epoxy dust.
Tips very much appreciated....

How much putty did u use?
Saw some cheap putty at the hardware store yesterday...
I think i can also get jb weld "marine weld" but that would cost much more... But since i would be wrapping it with the carbon it shouldn't matter right? I think u mentioned that in the vid....

How about carbon fiber sleeves?
Would that work? Looking for easiest less stressful way

Also check this carbon tape out on ebay
Item #111631825067

Quote:

Old 12-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #53
spearq8

Sleeves work extremely well but you really need a vacuum bagging setup as I couldn't get a sleeve to work using the "skinning" method as the sleeve will stick before you can place it over. I think after a few tries I could probably get it to work better. A sleeve of the correct size is easy to use as it has a good amount of expansion and contraction to make an absolutely seamless and perfect fit. Aesthetically a sleeve looks much better, but you also need the correct sleeve size for your handle as the contraction and expansion has a limit. With a tape you don't have to worry about choosing the correct size as you just wrap over the grip no matter what size it is.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:36 AM   #54
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Sleeves are def great, but as Majd says, hard to make work on a handle without vac bag.

I laminated this one onto a wax core, which was later melted out and then the grip was mounted to the handle -but could work on top of a regular putty grip, too:

For sleeves, the last time I did the math, Sollercomposites.com were the cheapest. They have some swank colored sleeves, too;-)

(Sort of a build log here)
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:00 AM   #55
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
So polymorph will be too heavy and wont stick, neither will epoxy putty? Or as long as i wrap it with carbon tape it will be fine?

Ive already seen some nice red carbon/kevlar cloth
Ive never had any issue with poly sticking to rubbery things. In fact, ive had the complete opposite, PM stuck to my rubbery knife handle and bonded with it to the point where I had to use a knife to whittle it away because I couldn't get it off any other way.

Just got my 2017 q1-2 supply yesterday, but ive been so crazy busy I didnt have the chance even see that it came in the mail

Try not to over think this handle project because it will end up confusing other people reading this as well...

I will cover my handle with a heavy coat of clear, pour sand over it, then spray it over with a thick coat of clear again. Last 1 -2 years.

I could make some of the coolest CF handles, I have the degassing chamber, vac bags, vac pumps, and nearly any and every thing else in my shop. I have made one from a lightweight marine polyurethane body filler and had great luck, poly morph is just quick and easy.

I have considered doing a CF handle for my 125 pathos gun and vac bagging it in a white /black CF combo, instead of the polymorph.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #56
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I agree, no need to overthink it. Putty or Polymorph will work just fine.
I just couldn't really use that as I cut away most of the original grip on that handle in my previous post so there wasn't really much of a base to "build onto".
If there is, like in pretty much all handles, then it's much, much easier;-)

My first few handles were polymorph but I just need a slight excuse to get the carbon going - not cuz it is needed.
My next handle will be a putty one, possibly CF wrapped, possibly not.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:28 AM   #57
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Keep us updated on that boss man. I love to see your work!!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #58
ReefShark
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Sleeves are def great, but as Majd says, hard to make work on a handle without vac bag.

I laminated this one onto a wax core, which was later melted out and then the grip was mounted to the handle -but could work on top of a regular putty grip, too:

For sleeves, the last time I did the math, Sollercomposites.com were the cheapest. They have some swank colored sleeves, too;-)

(Sort of a build log here)
That came out nicely...

Old 12-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #59
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
That came out nicely...

It's no way near pro level, but it was my first one, not an easy shape and thus, a bit of a challenge but the sleeve really helped tons. So did spraying a mist of glue onto the core first to help the cloth stay put.
I do think I could do a better one now with what I learned making the first one.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #60
ReefShark
Jay

I'm trying not to over think it... Just want to make sure i do it right...

That's a whole lot of poly Tony... U love that stuff...