Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #61
Navanax
Ken

Re: PNW tips thread...

Trust your tide and current charts. Often in the NW, especially Puget Sound, you can get scuzzy fresh water run off on the surface down to 10-15 feet booking along at 2-3 knots yet have it be zero current and 30' viz underneath in the salty water. It will taste brackish on the surface. Watch on the ascent you don't get blown past your boat. If so, see North Star's and Kehloken's earlier posts.

When you crack all those crab legs at dinner, save the shells, freeze them, take on the next fishing trip. Decent chum for black rockfish right before you get in the water.

When you clean a salmon, the carcass goes in your local stream this time of year to feed the bugs that will feed the baby salmon (smolts). Freeze and save until smolt season if needed. I put rockfish in as well. Feed the smolts!

I now keep a pony bottle and extra reg in the boat. You never know when it will be handy.

Never ever shoot a lingcod or cabezon guarding eggs. Very bad karma.

And my wife's contribution. "Since you bought one of those low profile slick collar looking life vests for when you are in the boat solo, wear the damn thing".

Ken
Navanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #62
North Star
Max

Don't take the kayak out if the wind forecast reaches 10 mph or greater. It is virtually impossible to paddle against such a wind for any length of time.

If it is blowing the opposite way to the way you want to go, you aren't likely to get there, and if "there" is the shore, you are in a world of hurt.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #63
pswenson

When loading your gun on your hip... If you choose to load from there, make sure to take your time and not let the dang thing slip off. I was unfortunate, and the butt of my gun snapped back and the handle happened to hit my heel while my leg was flexed up. Couldn't fit my foot in a shoe the next day and I'm still a little tender more than two weeks later. Lesson learned
Old 07-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #64
quattroluvr
Leigh

Send a message via Skype™ to quattroluvr

My hole gun setup for Pac NW style reef and jetty hunting.

Have a 1K lumens hand-mount light (eg DRIS), and go slow.

And a short hole gun. My Riffe euro 55 has a custom shorter shaft to barely clear the muzzle, with a JBL short-barb, rotating rock tip. (For clearer conditions I have a double-wrap rigged spear for ~10-12+ ft range.) I don't use flopper shafts, as they take up to ~3X the penetration to deploy the barb. Often a holed-up Ling will be close to the back wall of a cave/crevice, so a flopper barb may not even deploy before it hits rock. Often I need to shoot a BR or Ling next to a rock and may not have time to de-power a band like in this wary Ling's case, so the rock tip is super tough for that. You can shoot full power into rocks time after time and the tip stays sharp. I don't even carry a file in the car, haven't needed one in nearly 2 years since I went with rock tips. I hear buddies say 'I know I hit that fish and it got away', and every time it's a flopper style spear. I use the rotating tip version, because BRs will often spin like crazy when hit. Anyway that's my 2 cents on our murky water tools of choice.
quattroluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #65
JackAttack

So lings in holes...flashlight check.

Where do you want to dive in regards to kelp beds? Check the inside edges/dive the whole thing/ or get past it and dive on the outside of it?

-A
JackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #66
quattroluvr
Leigh

Send a message via Skype™ to quattroluvr

I cruise the whole bed until I find activity or good hole crevices structure, then hole hunt. I've found BR 'highways' in middle of kelp , with no fish otherwise around .
quattroluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #67
WaGigKPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
So lings in holes...flashlight check.

Where do you want to dive in regards to kelp beds? Check the inside edges/dive the whole thing/ or get past it and dive on the outside of it?

-A
In my limited experience...stay outside the kelp and cover ground. I have never had luck in the actual kelp bed, always in the open areas.
WaGigKPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #68
kehloken

Correct on the above post, although there could be a few ling in there by chance mostly Cabezon are hidden on the bottom under kelp in thick kelp beds.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #69
winklecl
Lord O' Cabezon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehloken View Post
Correct on the above post, although there could be a few ling in there by chance mostly Cabezon are hidden on the bottom under kelp in thick kelp beds.
Look, I understand everyone is gun-shy about the diving in kelp issue considering recent events (which are very tragic).

But to say desirable fish aren't located under heavy kelp mats is simply untrue.

The story is Kelp= Substrate (rocks)= Habitat= Fish

Just be safe, sensible and comfortable when you're diving in those areas. There is tons of information on this site about diving in kelp (I know Max for one has some great tips and knowledge).

If you aren't at least those three things don't do it.
winklecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #70
kehloken

Like I said you'll find a few ling.