Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Step by step build up of a roller gun, Mantis Roller Muzzle inside !!

That right folks, another roller gun !!!I am going to do the complete build and share all the info I can on this new Mantis Roller Muzzle.

THIS will be the place for the questions, comments and suggestions.

Im sure you guys remember that Pink Rob Allen fiberglass cuddle gun i built a while back???

I spent the past few days, making the hydrodynamic profile a little slimmer and sleeker but keeping that wide sexy cuddle fish shape. I just put about 4 hours of sanding in it today and she's ready for primer....

NOTE this gun will NOT be pink when its done

I just got a new camera and my UW housing w/dome port is on the way as well. Mirror less Sony a6000. Clear UW videos will be much easier to make.

I will update and post on this thread as much as I can to help you guys with your own builds. PLEASE ask questions.

Also, to all the the other roller builders/shooters. Please feel free to post up your setups and suggestions as well. Let get this as involved as we can!!!!

Right now the current gun configuration will be this.

Rob Allen 100 cm tube
Rob Allen Vecta 2 handle
Riffe Low profile shark fin 7.5mm flopper shaft with minimal overhang
Mantis Roller Muzzle

Here are the different band types I will be using
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
standard 16mm (primeline or kent)
mean green bands (neptonics )
14mm small id( spearamerica)
16mm small Id band(spearamerica)

Of course a BIG BIG thanks goes to Uncle Petros spearamerica.com for always having what I need. Seriously, this man is a freaking machine!!

Im going to find that perfect setup and you guys are going to see and help make that happen. From the Wishbone to the bottom band rigging.

Last edited by kwtony; 06-18-2015 at 11:45 PM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Step by step build up of a roller gun, Mantis Roller Muzzle inside !!

Laying one of the green colors with black, this will be applied with a plastic wrapper i have in the trash can...if you use the wrapper as your brush you can create a very cool marbled look with 2 colors. If you want to add a third color, you need to stage it, or you will have too many colors blending at the same time and you'll end up with a puke looking color. basically stagger your colors, 1-2 then 2-3
1 Green apple (hey I didn't name this)
2 Black (grey works well)
3 Fluorescent Green in tube (tube acrylic paint from the craft store seems to work very well for this application)

Lay a good base coat, but it doesn't need to cover everything..dont make it too thick either, maybe mix a drop or two of water in it, you dont want clumpy paint. Clumpy no good..

Once its mostly dry, I blend in the second color of green. This helps blend the greens and the black and gives both colors multiple marbled looks...it sounds complicated but is really easy to understand once you try it...

Do you first practice on your mop or broom handle to see how easy it is to blend the colors. With a little basic practice, it can come out looking like this...

I like using two similar colors and blending them with a darker color. Really makes for a nice blend...now I add some splatter...

Paint time....about 4 minuets (beer break included)

Clear coats going on tomorrow!!

Last edited by SpearMax; 06-19-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
VangysWay

Awesome thread, Tony, can't wait to see how this turns out so I can have a better understanding of how to set mine up on my 130 and 110 when they come in!

Last edited by SpearMax; 06-19-2015 at 03:49 AM.
VangysWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
SpearS0CAL
Beau

This is great. I can't wait to see how this evolves! I've never used/setup a roller and I've got one of the Mantis muzzles on the way.

Last edited by SpearMax; 06-19-2015 at 03:48 AM.
SpearS0CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
kwtony
Snorkel Master

One thing I like VERY VERY much about this muzzle is this second band option.

In my opinion, with the proper tuning, you can eliminate the need for a dual stage setup...and still kill everything you want to. This means no hassle with floppy bands, extra steps, figuring out how to rig a second stage or how to drill into your gun without flooding the barrel either. There are already people killing fish with a single stage tied in roller setup, by simply manning up and loading the roller band with a good deal of pre-load. In this instance i think you could ease up on the preload and be able to regain your power in that second band

Ideally, I will just loop the muzzle into a special hook at the base of the handle or reel at beginning of a dive, and unhook at the end of the day.

This is just my opinion, but It doesn't get any simpler then this...

Last edited by SpearMax; 06-19-2015 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I use different improvised tools to paint these guns, usually what i find laying around. Rarely will I waste a brush on these. I prefer the rough textured look of a sponge or marbled look a plastic wrapper give you (yeah..just try it) instead.

Ill sometimes put a drop or two on my finger and flick it at the gun..its a bit messy, but finger painting isn't supposed to be clean

I dabbed paint on the back of my paint brush and slung it at the gun as different angles and speeds to get the desired effect.

Good name for this gun... S's are so freakin hard to paint...

Last edited by SpearMax; 06-19-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:36 PM   #7
jaxwax
average joe

Looks like your gun just did a transjenner change

Are you going to sand out the track before the epoxy?

Last edited by SpearMax; 06-19-2015 at 03:46 AM.
jaxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #8
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Kwtonys step by step build up of a roller gun, Mantis Roller Muzzle inside !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshuster View Post
Looks like your gun just did a transjenner change

Are you going to sand out the track before the epoxy?
Hahahaha, yes it sure did. I know there has to be a few people out there happy to know that Needlefish Slayer, has finally been slayed...

Yes, I take rounded chisel or even a razor just before clear and make the track perfect.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:56 PM   #9
jaxwax
average joe

Re: Kwtonys step by step build up of a roller gun, Mantis Roller Muzzle inside !!

Or your shaft wrapped in sandpaper.

My roller is a one stage put still has hook installed [Matt @ Sturgill's handywork] that I can pull off the pre-tension after a use instead of the loop through the handle seen on other simple rollers. Still keeps things simple while just using the reel holes

jaxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:59 PM   #10
aus
squid

Great thread. Subscribed

Last edited by SpearMax; 06-19-2015 at 03:45 AM.
aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:59 PM   #11
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Yup that is pretty much what I am making for this as well.

Thanks for sharing that, seriously those guys at Sturgil put out some incredible gear. Very impressed with that company!!!

Last edited by SpearMax; 06-19-2015 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Per KWTony's request
Old 06-19-2015, 05:17 AM   #12
paolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshuster View Post
Or your shaft wrapped in sandpaper.

My roller is a one stage put still has hook installed [Matt @ Sturgill's handywork] that I can pull off the pre-tension after a use instead of the loop through the handle seen on other simple rollers. Still keeps things simple while just using the reel holes
oh man, your gun looks so nice! well done, I`d love to turn my cressi into one like that
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #13
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Thank Paolo, I appreciate that.

If you follow the step I posted on the painting you can find your perfect color blend too. I have done this camo blend on about a whole bunch of different guns right now. Red blue, green, orange, pink, and white as well. I have always like how they turned out.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:28 AM   #14
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Done with paint and clear.

Today I will try to get some 14mm small ID bands at least tied up and or the wishbone system made photographed. Im plan on using two different thickness cords for this and need to go to find some 550 cord or Amstel blue. Ideally for the handle at the wishbone, you want to use a thicker cord so its not digging into your hands. If i used 2mm cord it would be very uncomfortable to grab and load.

Here is the cuddle tube next to a standard Rob Allen tube.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #15
Castor

Your gun is looking great!
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote