Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-20-2022, 11:15 AM   #1
svivian

Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Has anyone tried this out? I just saw it randomly and it looks nice.

https://ermessea.com/products/handle...40684265242813
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:44 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Not on their catalog page yet, so this must be new and would only be recently offered. https://ermessea.com/collections/speargun-zone-handle
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:05 PM   #3
popgun pete

Just ordered the white handle, so will find out when it arrives. I bought one of the DR mechs, but it was from a dud batch, hopefully this one will have the latest version.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:06 PM   #4
svivian

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Just ordered the white handle, so will find out when it arrives. I bought one of the DR mechs, but it was from a dud batch, hopefully this one will have the latest version.
Looking forward to your review Pete. I'm a big fan of the Meandros b28 handles but this looks like an improvement on that even.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:24 AM   #5
spearq8

Actually I think this handle is already on its 3rd batch of production ... so out there for over a year. It is so that people don't have to do elaborate and sometimes difficult modifications to fix handle shaping and to make adjustments to install a full DR trigger. This handle fits perfectly on 26.5mm ID Pipes ... so if you have a Pathos tube this is a perfect fit. It comes full kit with muzzle, handle and trigger. The trigger is a full DR trigger that uses MIM on the shaft sear, trigger sear and line release. You can see from the photos that the line release is nice and rounded and the trigger sear has serrated cuts... which is very useful.

The handle follows the correct design principles of shaping the handle correctly so recoil goes into palm rather than thumb. The custom DR trigger for the handle allows super high handle ... which keeps shafts super stable even if powered up. Uses the latest version of DR trigger internals with very tight MIM tolerances. The trigger sear is made of a proprietary super strong stainless steel alloy that has more than double the strength and hardness of normal 316 SS, while still retaining the corrosion resistance of 316. Not much to not like! There is an anodized aluminium barrel for this gun as well but I am not sure if that has gone into mass production yet.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:36 AM   #6
popgun pete

If it has been out for some time why not on the catalog? Certainly seen photos of it before from yourself.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:01 AM   #7
spearq8

I really only get involved in advice in the design stage and do the computer design and simulation and beta testing ... have nothing to do with the selling or advertising and I get zero financial compensation for any work I do. This is still a hobby for me. I do know that his first 2 batches were sold out before he even had them ... so advertising something you can't sell would just get a bunch of people angry and upset. I think at the moment he has stock of those handles though.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:25 AM   #8
popgun pete

Well I had not been looking for it, but now I see it advertised elsewhere.
https://www.spearfishingworld.com/er...un-handle.html
Old 04-21-2022, 09:06 AM   #9
svivian

Benthic Ocean Sports also has it for sale which is where i saw it via an email they sent out. This is the first time ive seen this but i put an order in for two to try them out on a couple different styles of pipe guns.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:37 PM   #10
Marco

Very well designed.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:34 PM   #11
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Could you post pictures of the handle when you receive it? I wouldn't mind seeing closer pictures of it, specifically the anchor hook area for the roller setups.

I'd like to see how strong that anchor hook area looks. I wouldn't mind trying this handle if it's appropriate for my setup. If doable, I'd hook two pairs of invert bands to it, similar to what I do with the MVD handle.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:10 PM   #12
popgun pete

It arrived about an hour ago. I weighed it and the scale reading was 0.355 kg. Another scale read 0.360 kg. Chinese scales, a dangling hook and a platform type. When the sun comes out I will take some photos. It is a bit more petite than I thought it would be, but has a long boss for the tubular barrel. Note there is no biasing spring on the line release lever, so if it does not fall back just push it back with your finger with the gun butt down on an angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ermes Sub Avatar 1R.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	248005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ermes Sub Avatar 2R.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	248006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ermes Sub Avatar 3R.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	248007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ermes Sub Avatar 4R.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	248008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ermes Sub Avatar 5R.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	248009  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ermes Sub Avatar 6R.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	248010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ermes SUb Avatar 7R.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	248011  

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-27-2022 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Adding photos
Old 04-27-2022, 11:20 PM   #13
popgun pete

Note the grip handle sits really high up behind the barrel front boss and there is a slight upwards step at the moulded hook for a lower band anchor. The short throw safety is marked “fire” and “load” so you only apply it while getting the gun ready and then switch to “fire”. "Load" as in cocking the bands, not inserting the spear. It is not really a flick on and off switch that encourages bad habits, once ready to shoot that is where you should leave it. The safety cam is much the same as the one that was available for the mechanism as an add-on which I guess few users ever purchased, but this one appears to have plastic parts instead of metal. If you don't like a safety you can just never use it, the lever is rather small. Something to please the lawyers.

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-28-2022 at 01:21 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-28-2022, 02:31 AM   #14
ninjagazz

Looks really good Pete, a lot like the Salvimar hero. Where did you get it from?
ninjagazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:52 AM   #15
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagazz View Post
Looks really good Pete, a lot like the Salvimar hero. Where did you get it from?
Direct from Ermes Sub in Italy, cost me 50 bucks shipping via DHL, but got here pretty quickly all things considered.