Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-02-2023, 02:47 AM   #1
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Ulusub reel line for shooting line

anyone using Jon’s yellow Ulusub Reel line as shooting line?
Only used it coupla times, but seems to be a nice balance - i.e. not so prone to kinking as the hard LP mono, and - unlike dyneema - stretchy enough to keep double wrap nicely tensioned.
Do get some creep of the outer sheath, but easy to slide back. Nice and grippy for hauling fish in close before the sharks get it.
Will stick to coated cable for real big stuff and looong shots, but this Ulusub seems great for most other stuff.
anyone else using?
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:43 AM   #2
Marco

Re: Ulusub reel line for shooting line

Get Aussie stiff dyneema for shooting line. Nothing works better than that.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:00 AM   #3
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Get Aussie stiff dyneema for shooting line. Nothing works better than that.
thanks Marco! Yep, been using Aussie 2mm for years, and Rob Allen's white 2mm. Love it's stiffness, grippiness, durability, and lack of memory, but dyneema's inherent lack of stretch makes it hard to keep a full double wrap of shooting line always nicely tensioned -partic on reel guns where you dont have bungee to help - resulting in occasional band tangles and/or endless dicking around after loading ensuring that first wrap stays nice and tight.
Hence liking the ulusub with its stiffness+durability combined with stretchiness.
Yet to see how it handles being wrapped up in the coral
Old 05-02-2023, 03:53 PM   #4
Marco

Why do you need a double wrap? Have you tried to pull the shaft out of your gun to see how far it is? You'll never hit a living fish where you aim at that distance, but you'll get all the downsides as line tangles, holed fish, more time to reload, etc.
I tried once double wrap and went back to single after a couple of days out (and several lost fish).
On the other hand, Rob Allen white dyneema is not even close to Aussie. Aussie is stiffer and more abrasion resistant.

Old 05-02-2023, 04:21 PM   #5
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Why do you need a double wrap? Have you tried to pull the shaft out of your gun to see how far it is? You'll never hit a living fish where you aim at that distance, but you'll get all the downsides as line tangles, holed fish, more time to reload, etc.
I tried once double wrap and went back to single after a couple of days out (and several lost fish).
On the other hand, Rob Allen white dyneema is not even close to Aussie. Aussie is stiffer and more abrasion resistant.
Ah, lets agree to disagree on that front eh Marco

it would be wonderful to be able to use single wrap, for all the reasons you mentioned and more, but with gin-clear ocean and bluewater underneath you most of the time, single wrap's gonna up come up short on a lot of shots, trust me, have persevered with single wrap on enough different setups to work that out
Old 05-03-2023, 02:18 AM   #6
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
Ah, lets agree to disagree on that front eh Marco
it would be wonderful to be able to use single wrap, for all the reasons you mentioned and more, but with gin-clear ocean and bluewater underneath you most of the time, single wrap's gonna up come up short on a lot of shots, trust me, have persevered with single wrap on enough different setups to work that out
One and a half wraps is perfect length for lot of my diving - shout out to Jon for putting me onto that, have it on my wood guns - but havent gotten around to epoxying a halfway hook on the pipeguns. Will def be putting halfway wrap on these teak cuttle sleeves
Old 05-03-2023, 06:21 AM   #7
Marco

Ok