Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-07-2022, 12:23 AM   #1
doyenofcastle

AR grips

last 3 years I have tried 3 type of Hand Grip AR 15 trying to replace the classic shape but the results was not as I was expecting ,I have experienced few inches of inaccuracy during shooting ,that's not a big deal with large fish but for small size I really missed many , I don't know if I am holding the Grip accurately or it is related to the Grip design , it's mainly designed for pistol /rifle ,all that guns with the classic Grip have been shooting precisely
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_211627.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	248058   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_202249.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	248061   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181124_145243.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	248062  

Last edited by doyenofcastle; 05-07-2022 at 12:43 AM.
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:37 AM   #2
doyenofcastle

Re: AR grips

First one from left I was able to shoot three shoots with accurate results from total of twenty shoots ,I have tried to hold from up /down /move my hand to left or right but can't find the correct holding position even the correct shoot was by luck ( I am talking about 4-5 inches shifting to left down from center)

second one
the normal holding position was shooting 3-4 inches to left side once I hold the grip and rotate my hand sharply to right side the shoot become very accurate however holding gun was not comfortable to my hand

last one in right , classic old design and it was accurate without any missed

anyone have the same observations? specially for the first grip ?
that difference is not a big miss if we talk about large fish but for small species I have missed many (1-3 kg fish size)
Old 05-09-2022, 09:44 AM   #3
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Just brainstorming:

The angle between the grip and the stock are more vertical on the 1st two handles pictured. This could be affecting how much trigger finger you are getting on the trigger. This in turn can inadvertently cause you to move more than just the trigger finger when you shoot. I.e., the only part of your trigger hand that should move is the trigger finger. I am going to guess since your shots are pulling LEFT, then you are RIGHT handed. Right handed correction chart:

Edit: only the last "pad" of your finger should be on the trigger.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Right_Handed_Correction_Chart.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	248072  

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:58 AM   #4
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Just brainstorming:

The angle between the grip and the stock are more vertical on the 1st two handles pictured. This could be affecting how much trigger finger you are getting on the trigger. This in turn can inadvertently cause you to move more than just the trigger finger when you shoot. I.e., the only part of your trigger hand that should move is the trigger finger. I am going to guess since your shots are pulling LEFT, then you are RIGHT handed. Right handed correction chart:

Edit: only the last "pad" of your finger should be on the trigger.
for the Grip in picture I think trigger finger position not the problem ,I have added an epoxy putty to one side and my hand now is rotated to the opposite side and the shooting become accurate ,I am interested to know if someone facing the same issue as now all famous gun builder manufacturer advertising that grip in their website ,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	handle.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	248647  
Old 11-13-2022, 06:43 PM   #5
Red Tide

The grip in this picture is excellent. I have been using it for the past couple of seasons on our Pro Roller Series and on my new design Reef Series. I also used them on a few Mid Handle Tuna Gun builds. All with great success. You can get them from Jon at Uluasub and John at Koah.
If you are shooting bad with these grips, it is not the grip.

G.R.
Old 12-12-2022, 05:23 AM   #6
doyenofcastle

Would like to see a pool test by spearq8
Old 12-30-2022, 10:02 AM   #7
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

The A R handle is for a rifle, I know that spear gunning is similar to Pistol Shooting.
And the angle of the A R handle forces an upward positioning of the tip in line of sight, I've 'Heard' that this allows the shooter to compensate for shaft drop at distance. I want my sight line to be absolutely flat.
So I don't invest real money to change this design, I just build up the back of the handle
to vertical. Cheers, Kerry.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote