Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #61
Paul Benson
Mi nombre es Ben

Re: Utah Visibility Overview (please contribute!)

Im only an hour and a half from the Wyoming side of the gorge here im vernal. If tou make it out this way i can show u around.
Paul Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #62
Birdman

Ok everyone around here, the weather sucks this weekend cold, windy, and rainy. But next weekend is opener for game fish here. So where is everyone going to be headed? Only so many lakes here we can spear so shouldn't be any secrets.. I want to hit Starvation next weekend, anybody else going to be around there? Or possible Deer Creek, also thinkin about stoppen at Strawberry to just dive and look no gun, vis looks like it could be real good at strawberry, anyone dove there? Sorry for ramblin, good luck if anyone goes next weekend, always an open invite on this end. Cheers
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #63
paintbing
Life size fish tank

^ I was wondering what Strawberry would be like too. I grew up fishing there and I recall some days I could see 10+ feet to the bottom when I was closer to shore.

Also with the 300 tagged rainbows with one being worth $25,000, It'd be great just to swim around to "spot" some chilling and then try to fish for it. Tempting to not have a spear gun on board, but no way to turn in a fish with a giant hole in it.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #64
Istickfish

Always fun to "swim with the fishes" even if you aren't shooting. Plus Strawberry has some of the biggest/most plentiful crawdads I have ever seen.

Last edited by Istickfish; 05-30-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: I spell like a 4 year old
Istickfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #65
huntingfish

I just got back from spearfishing in Mexico for the first time. I am now addicted. I live in Ogden, UT and would be interested in going out with some of you seasoned spear fisherman. Has anyone speared Willard bay, Causey, or Pineview? If so, are any of them any good this time of year?
huntingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #66
Birdman

Anyone get out today?? I want to hit deer creek in the morning anyone know vis there??
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #67
JoKeRs

I got out to Deer Creek and the Walsberg area was all muddy and shallow.
JoKeRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #68
xanderbp

Anyone have viz reports for utah from this weekend? How did everyone do opening weekend?
xanderbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #69
inshanity

I know everyone is asking the same question, but I'm visiting next week and really want to get out for a day. Here's the little I know, I hope someone can add to it.

I called the Flaming Gorge marina and they had 4 foot swell the other day, so its really turned up.

I also called fish lake and it doesn't sound as bad, but they had white caps yesterday, and its supposed to blow again Saturday.

Deer Creek is really low, not sure how that's affecting the visibility though.

Starvation has been windy too, but it usually has good visibility this time of year. Maybe its still decent?
inshanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #70
fishkiller420
B K

Tried Pineview on Thurs and the water was really clear and really cold. Probably the best viz I have ever seen there about 8ft. But thanks to an ear infection I can only dive to about 6 feet before my head feels like it will explode. Didn't see any fish while snorkeling.

Huntingfish,
welcome, I live in Ogden as well.

Pineview is your best bet around here, some good bass but not a ton of carp, I've only ever seen 1 carp from in the water.

Willard is complete shit, that water is straight brown.

I've been trying to get up to Causey to check it out but it's above Pineview = freezing my nuts off in a 3mm suit. I would be willing to check out Causey if you want to meet up sometime.
fishkiller420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #71
inshanity

Thanks for the response. A 3 mil this time of year is pretty brave. I'm encouraged with Pineview's clarity, and I've wanted to try out Causey. I'll try to find out what the conditions are like, and I would consider heading up there for clear water. I would only be available to dive Monday, but let me know if you hear anything, and want to go
inshanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #72
Maximus_Manimal

Got out to Deer Creek on Sunday June 10th. Couldn't get to my usual spot because of a rather nasty accident closing the road for several hours. Spent a few hours in the inlet where Snow's Marina used to be (the turn off to Walsburg). Visibility was about 5-6 feet, and a lot of moss that would become suspended if you contacted the bottom.

Got 4 carp (including a new personal best of 11.6lbs), 2 decent largemouth and a smallmouth. Water was a bit chilly at first, but I was quite comfortable.
Maximus_Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #73
Sauce

Did Causey last week. Vis was as noted by others 8-10 ft. Water was really cold. We only saw one fish in the two hours we were diving. Driving home I kept thinking Pineview would have been the better bet. Just my two cents.
Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #74
Paul Benson
Mi nombre es Ben

Any one tried Recapture Res, south east corner of the state. I heard something about good sized pike.
Paul Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #75
SSgt Terry

Went out to pineview and lost creek reservoirs last weekend. Couldnt see squat at pineview but visibility at lost creek was oustanding. 20 feet at least, that water is frigid though and i was on the bottom in scuba gear.
SSgt Terry is offline   Reply With Quote