Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 10-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
Jorswors

Headache question

Hi Everyone,
The next after my last 3 spearing sessions I have had a sharp headache on the top left side of my head. It only hurts when pressurize my head i.e. when i sneeze, cough, blow my nose or bend down.
The first time I thought it was because I was maybe not as hydrated as I’d like to be before a dive day, but the next 2 I was super hydrated.
Im not sure what to do about this.
Any info/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jorswors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte
Re: Headache question

On Scuba? I switched to nitrox for headaches and it helped. I also popped a couple motrin before a dive.
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Sounds like sinus issue. Stay hydrated, try some Afrin, and blow out everything before diving. Also, don't skip breath or breath too shallow if on scuba (CO2 build up headache).
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
Jorswors

I forgot to mention that im freediving not scuba. During my dives im fine, zero issues, its just the next day

Jorswors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
popgun pete

Get yourself checked out by your Doc, worth it as you then have peace of mind and anything untoward can be nipped in the bud.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
daintreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorswors View Post
Hi Everyone,
The next after my last 3 spearing sessions I have had a sharp headache on the top left side of my head. It only hurts when pressurize my head i.e. when i sneeze, cough, blow my nose or bend down.
The first time I thought it was because I was maybe not as hydrated as I’d like to be before a dive day, but the next 2 I was super hydrated.

Hi mate, I have been spearfishing (freedive) for 20 years and have had headaches the entire time. I also thought it was due to hydration but it isn't. I get them about 50-70% of dive days. I have come to the conclusion that it is repeated high Co2 build up from diving combined with pressure that causes it.

I have just learnt to live with it and have Panadol with me always when diving and after diving. Those rare days when you don't get a headache are a blessing.
daintreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:22 AM   #7
popgun pete

Don't take a chance, people are different, one guy's headache could be another's brain tumour. Now that is worst case and not very likely, but ignoring things is what landed me in hospital. Self-diagnosis is not a good idea!
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #8
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorswors View Post
Hi Everyone,

CO2 build-up can and does causes headaches but if it's related to CO2 it will come on fast and go away within 20 minutes of normal breathing or surface time. To stop CO2 headaches just take adequate surface intervals.

However, since yours is related to pressurization and localized to a specific spot it's probably something with sinuses.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote