Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:34 PM   #1
Phychotics

Mako Competition Freediver Fins 10-11 w/ 5mm socks really tight

This is my first pair of freedive fins so I just wanted some feedback. I dive the Monterey area so I need 5mm or 7mm socks. Im a size 10.5 shoe, and their size chart says that a 5mm sock will use their 10-11 pocket. I put them on and theyre super uncomfortable, just sitting in my room for a minute or two with them on is not pleasant. Are they supposed to be super tight? Ive only used open heel scuba fins before. Im considering returning for the 12-13 pockets and if theyre too loose with my 5mm socks, then ill go up to 7mm which might be better for here anyways. Any thoughts? I really just dont wanna spend the return shipping as well as the shipping back to me but if I have to I have to.
Phychotics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
Dbrown

Re: Mako Competition Freediver Fins 10-11 w/ 5mm socks really tight

I have the 10-11 foot pockets. I wear a size 12 sneaker and dress shoe. I always use a sock for abrasion resistance in my dive fin. Typically 1.5 or 2 mil. I'm in FL, so don't use them for warmth. That works fine for me. 3 mil sock made them difficult to get on and off. Never tried a thicker sock than that. The 12-13 foot pocket is a lot bigger. So you'd likely be in 7 mil sock and maybe fin keepers as well.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:53 AM   #3
jfjf

I would think they should work. You are using socks, not dive booties with thin soles right? The socks may compress a little at depth and might feel less tight, but it is important that your fins fit well and do not cause cramps.

I am similar as Mr. Brown (wearing size 12 shoe generally) except I often just go barefoot
with the 10-11. Also he is correct in that the next size up 12-13 is a good bit larger.

In my experience a certain degree of tightness pressing down on your foot from the top can be handled without too much trouble, but if the tightness is in the width, meaning the foot is crushed from side to side (shoe/fin pocket is too narrow), this is a real problem and will cause foot cramps quickly.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:24 AM   #4
jbsrq

To chime in with a different experience than the first two replies. I am a 11.5 shoe for sneakers and dress shoes and have two pairs of Mako pockets. One is the 10-11 and with a 3mm sock they are painfully small, the other pair is 12-13 and they are perfect with a 2mm or 3mm sock.

I think a lot of it has to do with foot width as well.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
Marco

If they're uncomfortable, it would be a nightmare to wear them while spearfishing. Get a larger size.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
Markio
Shoot to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phychotics View Post
This is my first pair of freedive fins so I just wanted some feedback. I dive the Monterey area so I need 5mm or 7mm socks. Im a size 10.5 shoe, and their size chart says that a 5mm sock will use their 10-11 pocket. I put them on and theyre super uncomfortable, just sitting in my room for a minute or two with them on is not pleasant. Are they supposed to be super tight? Ive only used open heel scuba fins before. Im considering returning for the 12-13 pockets and if theyre too loose with my 5mm socks, then ill go up to 7mm which might be better for here anyways. Any thoughts? I really just dont wanna spend the return shipping as well as the shipping back to me but if I have to I have to.
Unfortunately, that's what happens when you buy online w/o trying them on.

No. Fins should not fit the way you describe them.

Uncomfortable fins are a problem. Cramping is the biggest hazard. You don't ever want your feet to cramp because it happens at the wrong time..

Some people however can dive in colder water with 3mill open cell booties.
But if you need 5mil..spend the money and return them.

Why do people buy equipment where fit is critical without trying them on is beyond me.
It is taking me 5 months to buy a pair of hunting boots because I have doubts about the fit between brands and I will not spend $500 unless I'm certain they fit me like a glove.

Cheers.
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #7
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

I have just recently been made aware of this thread. It is not always practical for MAKO to provide customer service via Spearboard or any other on-line forum.

If/when a problem arises, our customers should be assured that MAKO will take care of it.

My policy is: whatever it takes- we've developed an excellent reputation for customer service and we will continue to earn that on a daily basis.

A pair of foot pockets that don't fit to a customer's satisfaction is EASY. Contact us directly, a call or an Email and we will generate a call tag and resolve the issue - on my dime.

As many of you know, MAKO sells on-line ONLY. Our wetsuits, masks & fins are all offered with an understanding that we will "do what is necessary" to make sure each customer is satisfied (quality, fit etc.).

Over the years, we have been able to leverage customer feedback (both positive and negative) to develop some VERY accurate and detailed guidelines for sizing of suits, foot pockets etc., all of which are on our website. Of course, we are always HAPPY to answer customer questions, before an order is placed. I often think that we provide our best customer service before an order is taken.

We are quite confident that our sizing guidelines are very accurate for a huge majority of our customers, and if they're not - then we take care of it.

Hopefully the OP has called our shop already (during normal business hours M-F; 9-5) and a resolution has been initiated. I trust my "guys" to handle customer service/fitment issues without my direct involvement, so right now, I can't provide anything more specific on this particular issue.

dive safe!
dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:58 AM   #8
Marco

Mako's customer service is top notch.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote